LISTEN V. RATE: The Official GRIMES Rate (#40 (tie) and #39) | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LISTEN V. RATE: The Official GRIMES Rate (#40 (tie) and #39)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Raichu, Apr 2, 2018.

1. upload_2018-4-2_4-1-10.png

Welcome, Art Angels!

I wish I could begin this rate under more favorable circumstances (like having a new album to rate), but it is still my pleasure to welcome you to the Grimes Rate of Misbehaving (though y'all better behave and give Artangels the 10 it deserves!). I could talk about my personal journey of coming to be obsessed with this woman, but this thread is about you and all this badass music.

I think Grimes resonates so much because she almost seems like a popstar beamed in from the future. In this future, popstars are producers and have a "do it yourself" attitude, building their songs from the ground up with no imput from the usual suspects. In this future, popstars direct their own videos (cellphone camera in hand) and draw their own manga-inspired album artwork. In this future, popstars draw from the most unlikely media sources, more specifically the world of anime, manga, and video games (I can't be the only one that hears Super Mario in World Princess II and JRPG field music in Belly of the Beat). In this future, popstars lure hipsters into a false sense of security with lo-fi avant-garde records and then ambush them with a nuclear bomb of capital P POP (while we on PJ get our collective LIFE).

Part of Grimes' charm is that she is such an unlikely popstar---her first two albums seem almost anti-pop on face value, she doesn't particularly look like a popstar, she keeps a relatively low profile, and it's hard to find any televised live performances from her (lord how I've tried). But as Art Angels made so explicitly clear, she gets pop music better than most traditional popstars and she truly has a passion for it. And even those first two experimental albums (which I'm ready for y'all to drag) show that she understood the value of a beat and a hook.

When you pair those musical values with a penchant for the weird, the crazy, and the unconventional, you get a special artist who, as The Guardian said, has made some of the most "exciting pop music in the world." So let's get to rating this music! I can already hear some of you groan, but we will rate everything, from the Dune-inspired Geidi Primes to the album we all know and love, Art Angels (and some extras).

upload_2018-4-2_4-5-28.png

R.U.L.E.S

+Rate every song out of 10. Half marks are allowed. Even if you hate the first two albums, you must rate them if you want to participate.
    +You can only give one song an 11/10. So choose wisely.
    +You can change scores if you need to. Just shoot me a PM.
    +I encourage you to send as much commentary as possible. It, not my amazing writing skills, is what makes the write-ups interesting.
    +Don't misbehave and by that I mean don't fucking troll.

upload_2018-4-2_2-37-43.png

And, of course, the music...

GEIDI PRIMES (2010)

upload_2018-4-2_2-50-29.png

Caladan
    Sardaukar Levenbrech
    Zoal, Face Dancer
    Rosa
    Avi
    Feyd Rautha Dark Heart
    Gambang
    Venus In Fleurs
    Grisgris
    Shadout Mapes
    Beast Infection

HALFAXA (2010)
    upload_2018-4-2_2-51-6.png

Outer
    Intor/Flowers
    Weregild
    ∆∆∆∆Rasik∆∆∆∆
    Heartbeats
    Sagrad Прекрасный
    Dragvandil
    Devon
    Dreamfortress
    World♥Princess
    † River †
    Swan Song
    ≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈
    My Sister Says The Saddest Things
    Hallways
    Favriel

DARKBLOOM (2011)
    upload_2018-4-2_2-52-23.png

Orphia
    Vanessa
    Crystal Ball
    Urban Twilight
    Hedra

VISIONS (2012)
    upload_2018-4-2_2-51-28.png

Infinite ♥ Without Fulfillment
    Genesis
    Oblivion
    Eight
    Circumambient
    Vowels = Space And Time
    Visiting Statue
    Be A Body
    Colour Of Moonlight (Antiochus)
    Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)
    Nightmusic
    Skin
    Know The Way (Outro)

ART ANGELS (2015)
    upload_2018-4-2_2-52-54.png

laughing & not being normal
    California
    SCREAM
    Flesh Without Blood
    Belly Of The Beat
    Kill V. Maim
    Artangels
    Easily
    Pin
    Realiti
    World Princess II
    Venus Fly
    Life In The Vivid Dream
    Butterfly

EXTRAS

upload_2018-4-2_3-7-41.png

Go (featuring Blood Diamonds)
    Medieval Warfare
    Entropy (with Bleachers)
    Phone Sex (with Blood Diamonds)
    Take Me Away (with Bleachers)
    Angel
    Ambrosia
    Song For Ric
    Life After Death
    Christmas Song
    Christmas Song II (Grinch)
    Dream World (with Majical Cloudz)

PM Friendly List:
    Giedi Primes
    Caladan
    Sardaukar Levenbrech
    Zoal, Face Dancer
    Rosa
    Avi
    Feyd Rautha Dark Heart
    Gambang
    Venus In Fleurs
    Grisgris
    Shadout Mapes
    Beast Infection

Halfaxa
    Outer
    Intor/Flowers
    Weregild
    ∆∆∆∆Rasik∆∆∆∆
    Heartbeats
    Sagrad Прекрасный
    Dragvandil
    Devon
    Dreamfortress
    World♥Princess
    † River †
    Swan Song
    ≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈Ω≈
    My Sister Says The Saddest Things
    Hallways
    Favriel

Darkbloom
    Orphia
    Vanessa
    Crystal Ball
    Urban Twilight
    Hedra

Visions
    Infinite ♥ Without Fulfillment
    Genesis
    Oblivion
    Eight
    Circumambient
    Vowels = Space And Time
    Visiting Statue
    Be A Body
    Colour Of Moonlight (Antiochus)
    Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)
    Nightmusic
    Skin
    Know The Way (Outro)

Art Angels
    laughing & not being normal
    California
    SCREAM
    Flesh Without Blood
    Belly Of The Beat
    Kill V. Maim
    Artangels
    Easily
    Pin
    Realiti
    World Princess II
    Venus Fly
    Life In The Vivid Dream
    Butterfly

Extras
    Go (featuring Blood Diamonds)
    Medieval Warfare
    Entropy (with Bleachers)
    Phone Sex (with Blood Diamonds)
    Take Me Away (with Bleachers)
    Angel
    Ambrosia
    Song For Ric
    Life After Death
    Christmas Song
    Christmas Song II (Grinch)
    Dream World (with Majical Cloudz)

Deadline extended: Votes are due on May 9th.

Grimes already has had a hard year, what with the drama with her label, so I must ask that you
    don't fuck it up.

upload_2018-4-2_4-37-58.png

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Oh yes. I know we stan Art Angels but y'all better not do Visions wrong.

[​IMG]

Sanctuary, ohnostalgia, Serg. and 5 others like this.
  3. Your adorable host will not be doing Visions wrong. There's at least 3 10s on that album.

Cutlery and Animalia like this.
  4. Will put a PM friendly list of songs up later today!

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  5. I adore Visions and Art Angels pretty much equally, so I better see the former well represented x
    Halfaxa has my fave song from her tho
    [​IMG]

Sanctuary, caladan and Raichu like this.
  6. Grimes is my favorite solo artist, plain and simple.

@Raichu: You forgot tons of extra songs like Entropy, Phone Sex, Voignamir, David, Take Me Away, Fifteen Minutes To, Angel, Ambrosia, Song For Ric, Life After Death, Black Hair, Fragments of the Future, Saturn Princess, and so on.

[​IMG]

Satyress, Untouchable Ace and Raichu like this.
  7. Visions is
    not so secretly
    her best album.

8. Thanks! Will add these later today.

caladan likes this.
  9. Cool. Also there's this issue with REALiTi: there are 2 main versions (demo aka video version and album version). Should the demo be considered a separate song? Those versions are significantly different.

lob0to and Raichu like this.
  10. I will decide on this before I post the other extras. It might actually be fun to see where the two versions end up.

caladan likes this.
  11. Shame that this amazing song titled David* will remain forever underrated because it doesn't even have an official studio version:

A fan tried to make a studio version:

* David is about a close friend of Grimes that commited suicide in 2008. Previously, she wanted to start a band with him.

12. David, MSSTST and World ❤️ Princess are the death introspective SONGS trinity
    I at the very least like most of these, but Entropy is kind of grating and Phone Sex is nightmare inducing (not in a good way)
    Ambrosia is legendary!

Raichu likes this.
  13. Added the released extras. Didn't add unreleased extras but I did add the Reality demo for the kiis. How the hell did I not know about all those Visions bonus tracks?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  14. Also ddd @ the fact Pynk will be released during the course of the rate, poor that

Raichu likes this.
  15. Let's say that the total duration of all various Grimes songs I have (including remixes) is over 3 hours. Also Grimes did some special live versions of some her songs that could be considered separate songs. e.g. This fantastic banger (Be a Body live at Glastonbury 2016). It's really amazing.

[​IMG]

PS: Please add Christmas Song II (Grinch) too. It's a really fun song + video.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Sanctuary, Remorque, Raichu and 2 others like this.
  16. That's exactly what I will be doing, so thank you for running this.

Raichu likes this.
  17. I yelped when I saw this thread. This and the Charli rate happening at the same time, my poor heart...

Also just my opinion, but I feel like the two versions of Realiti shouldn't be rated separately, or else neither version will make it as far as the song deserves.

Side note: Visions better not be done wrong.

18. This is a good point. The ratings will be spread out in 2 and overall the song will lose significantly. Maybe people should rate whatever REALiTi version they want but it should be counted only for one song.

Raichu and Posh Spears like this.