'Lord of the Rings' TV Series in the Works | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Lord of the Rings' TV Series in the Works

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by UndercovaSista, Nov 4, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    YES! Can't wait for the superior version of GoT to be released and left us bald.

_Gru_ likes this.
  2. Oh gosh I love the cartoon and movies (The Hobbit films are ok) so will eat this up.

3. Despite the mega production and visuals, the Hobbits movies were shit, sis, let's be real here.

stuaw and Terminus like this.
  4. I've never even seen the last one, yet the Rings films are outstanding.

5. Tell me about it! The second film was enough of a shitfest to me. What a way to put money over quality and fuck everything.

Smooth Criminal likes this.
  6. The Hobbit needed to be one movie and it needed to use more practical effects. The CGI was pretty ropey and unbelievable (cartoon physics); it felt like I was watching a video game. I haven't watched any of them since I saw them in the cinema.

7. The only saving grace of the Hobbit franchise was queen Evangeline Lilly playing Tauriel

Heartthrob and stuaw like this.
  8. I mean, yes, this could be good, but we've already explored this story. I'd rather see a series exploring other tales of Middle Earth.

9. I remember going to watch the 3rd and I think I started texting the middle of it (I was alone in my 'cinema room').

I think GoT's appeal is that the characters are quite human and their motives can be relatable (from Cersei's to Arya's).

In LOTR... you just have a group of very good people trying to destroy a very distant big bad.
    I'm not sure how it would work on TV, tbh.

I would love some sort of anthology series on The Silmarillion.
    There are some great stories in there.

soratami, scottdisick94 and Mikl C like this.
  10. Yeh would prefer a Silmarillion. LotR has been done and done well so don't know what stories they'd tell.

11. But, why not cover all the stories? I bet they are only calling it LotR for it's name popularity, since not everyone is familiar with titles such as Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

Concerning the chronological order of events, they could open some flanks during the main narrative to explore previous facts.

12. Amazon have confirmed they've bought the rights to a multi season series with potential spin offs.

The series is a prequel that will focus on storylines that precede The Fellowship of the Ring.

“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for HarperCollins, and the Tolkien Estate and Trust.

“Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on JRR Tolkien’s original writings.”

13. I don’t even know where they want to go with it at this point.

Before Sauron, the big bad was... Sauron with a body?

I really hope this ‘prequels’ mean Silmarillion stuff, cause I see no way around it.

Bring me that Beleriand battle that changed the world!

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  14. I'd love to see a show focusing on parts of Middle Earth during the War that wasn't the main story.

I'm sure I read in the books that the armies of Mordor marched on all free places but Minas Tirith was the biggest one.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  15. I'm glad it's a prequel. I'm ready for them to bring different characters to the forefront.

16. Sauron is only a minion of Melkor, though. The true big bad dude in the mythology.

I'm happy as long as this becomes something new and independent, like the Shadow of Mordor/War games, and doesn't step on the Jackson trilogy.

17. Yeah, Morgoth was the big thing (hence my comment about Beleriand), but I don’t see how they can explain him without going back to the literal beginning (the trees, the stealing of the silmarils, Beren and Luthien, etc.).

Which is why I find the whole anthology idea so good for this. There are just so many stories to be told.

DoggySwami likes this.