Lorde - Melodrama | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lorde - Melodrama

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Bobbyrae, May 7, 2015.

1. Lorde discusses her second album in a brilliant blog post (she references Robyn's "Dancing On My Own"). There is a summary of the blog post on the front page.

I for one am very excited about this. Her first album is a fantastic debut, even more so when you consider how young she was while writing it. I also think she did a phenomenal job with the curation of The Hunger Games soundtrack so I have high hopes that this won't disappoint. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait until early next year to hear this.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. That post was incredible. She sounds very lucid and precise, very sure of herself. I could actually see this possibly out during late fall.

3. Extremely excited, besides the one dud ('Royals') she hasn't had one bad track.

4. I love how smart and self-aware she is. There are pop peers literally four decades older than her who don't have half of her maturity and eloquence.

5. I don't even understand how someone could type this?

enjoy and alanmr like this.
  6. Where does she say that it's finished though?

On the contrary, she says she's just getting started.

7. Well I place my fingers on keys and letters appear.

*flutters eyelashes*

8. I agree that "Royals" is by far her worst song, but it's not a dud. Now that it's not overplayed anymore, I can say it's far from that actually.

9. SMG

SMG

I still can't listen to Royals, give me another 4 years and I'll be there.

Her debut is one of my favourite albums of the past few years, so I am very, very excited for the follow up.

10. It nearly put me off investing further in her music, I detest it.

11. Royals is indeed rather terrible but she does have a few great songs so this is likely to be pretty decent!

12. If she can pull off another trifecta like Ribs-Buzzcut Season-Team then she'll probably have me as a fan for life.

13. I heard Royals on the radio a few weeks ago for the first time since its dominance and it was far more welcoming than I remembered. However, it still is the most boring track off of her debut and really only serves as a template for what Lorde was "about": heavy bass, sedated vocals, and a lyrical obsession with aimless youth. Nothing, for me, will top the lush, slithering, early-morning glow of 400 Lux or the manic party-from-purgatory neurotica of Ribs.

14. I was thrilled to see this thread when I logged in. It seems so long ago since she released her debut; I still regularly listen to it.

I'm really looking forward to this. 400 Lux, Ribs, Buzzcut Season, Team and A World Alone are all brilliant tracks from her album.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  15. I can't understand the Royals hate. Like, what even?

16. Motion to permaban everyone dissing Royals?

Call it overplayed but don't say its boring or shit, because it is none of those things.

17. I want to hear this lead single faster than you can say 'imperial phase'.

I'm joking. Kind of. This could be poised to be something very very special. The effortless brilliance of much of the debut + how she seems to have changed and matured since then + "Dancing On My Own" reference + her strange newfound status as it-girl. (Who'd have thought when we first heard "Royals" that she'd be hanging out with supermodels and going to the Met gala within two years? But it doesn't seem as if she's compromised any of the things in her worldview that make her exciting...more like pop culture has in the intervening years fit to accommodate hers if anything.) (I'm excited.)

18. I hate 'Royals' but I love her debut album, so I'm in the same boat.

Can't wait for her to release a Robyn-esque second album that flops everywhere. C'mon girl!

19. Incredibly excited for this. I don't foresee it being released until the end of 2015/beginning of 2016, but I have a feeling it's going to be quite the event. "Royals" is a brilliant pop song, and people calling it shit are unfairly dismissing it. Lyrically, vocally, musically - it's completely inline with the themes she explores on the album, but she does it better with other songs.

I really feel like we're watching a future legend stretch her muscles. In my mind, she's a poppier Fiona Apple. Less tortured, more sure of herself, but still approaching her music with that visceral honesty that sets her apart from her peers.

20. For the record she did not say anywhere that the sound would be similar to Dancing On My Own. As it hard as is not to get too excited when someone references that masterpiece I think she was just saying it was a brilliant song. Whether it influences the new album or not remains to be seen. (Honestly, how great would a Lorde take on a Body Talk-esque sound be?)

Actually I would say that if she did release a 'Dancing On My Own' it would be probably massive.