Movie comments, outbursts, quips and general chatter | Page 204 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie comments, outbursts, quips and general chatter

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Alphableat, Dec 17, 2010.

1. My favourite film of all time. There is no other movie that I could watch again and again and again as I do with Spirited Away. Literally it finishes and I could quite happily put it back to the start and begin all over again.

New Flame, POPGASM and Terminus like this.
  2. Saw Hidden Figures this afternoon and absolutely loved it. More of this, please.

Sinful, Island, Maria and 3 others like this.
  3. I have seen Silence yesterday and I really like it. Even Garfield was great in it.

4. Dddddddd

MYCAL, Rhombus, Andy French and 6 others like this.
  5. I like it when actors have a sense of humour about things...
    Like Halle Berry turning up to accept her Razzie for Catwoman, or Sandra B turning up to accept hers two days before she actually won an Oscar.

6. I just watched Hardcore Henry (not my choice,) and what the actual hell was that.

7. Because I love this thread, and enjoy reading about people’s recommendations, which has often inspired me to seek out films I’ve not seen, I was wondering what people’s top 5 films are?
    Here’s mine to get started (and reasons why):

MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001): For me, this is the adult, cinematic equivalent of 'Masquerade' by Kit Williams, which was a cryptic picture book for children, that concealed clues to the location of a jeweled golden hare, hidden somewhere in the UK, which had me fascinated as a kid. Like that book, Mulholland Drive is eerily beautiful to look at, and has an intriguing surface plot, yet underneath there is masses going on that the viewer is encouraged to work out. By the end of the end of the film I’m left wondering every time what Lynch meant by certain scenes and bewildering images, in a glorious, thrilling way. For me any film which leaves you thinking about it afterwards for hours (or days) on end is the sign of a really good movie.

MARGARET (2011): Margaret is about a middle-class teenage girl, Lisa, who witnesses a devastating traffic accident, which she feels she is partly to blame for. The film bears witness to the repercussions of this event on her psyche, and shows how she tries to ‘fix’ what has happened in inappropriate ways. The film also focuses on Lisa’s relationship with her mother, and shows how often we try to deal with our hurt clumslily by hurting other people. The performances are stellar; for me one of the best performances comes from the actor who plays a guy who has unrequited love for Lisa. During one scene he breaks down into tears after she casually dismisses him from the other side of the phone, which brought back similar experiences from me.

CRUISING (1980): I only saw Cruising a couple of years ago, but I was aware of its notoriety for some years before. I had no inkling that I was going to love it as much as I did, I just thought it would be a curiosity piece – Al Pacino playing a cop in an ‘80s thriller about murder and gay panic - but after seeing it I was fixated. So much so that when I went to New York on holiday a few months later, I visited a lot of the places where certain scenes were shot. I love the whole milieu portrayed in the movie; the grittiness and seediness of New York in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s is always appealing as a spectator. I love the ambiguity of Pacino’s character and his motives. I actually don’t find it to be a homophobic piece of art at all, and I don’t think that was Friedkin’s intention. Possibly his creepiest film since The Exorcist, but I enjoyed this far more. As a genre, I think it is closer to a horror than a routine crime thriller.

SPLASH (1984): Although you might say this a frivolous, fantasy movie, I think that any piece of film that sets your imagination on fire cannot be superficial if you’re passionate about it, and Splash has had that effect on me since it came out over 30 years ago. Perhaps it is the combination of the humour, pathos, humanity, charisma and warmth of the characters; Splash is sweet without being saccharine, and wholesome without being moralistic. Maybe it’s relating to being a ‘fish out of water,' like the mermaid of the narrative, or sharing with Madison (as a closeted gay kid) the ‘fear of being discovered.’ It the one film that means more to me than any other, almost on a visceral level, which is why watching it is such a great experience.

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME (1992): As with most Lynch films, every scene in this movie looks like a painting. The film explores the last week in the life of Laura Palmer. As Laura finds herself coming face to face with literally unthinkable struggles, the only way she has to deal with it is by creating a psychic metaphor in the form of a demon called BOB. Although the subject matter is dark, she finds redemptive strength despite the odds. All the performances here are outstanding, but of course special mention goes to Sheryl Lee, who bravely brings Laura’s ordeal to life.

So what're yours?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    dodoriazarbon likes this.
  8. I couldn't ever pick a Top 5, but I have spent the afternoon in the world of one of my favourites... Clever, filthy, engrossing and hilarious.

I wish Peter Greenaway (like Argento) hadn't lost it by the end of the 90's.

blod likes this.
  9. Little Women (94) is the best movie of all time.

Espeon likes this.
  10. Alex Borstein shuffling onstage wailing really was the icing on the cake for me.

ChiquitaPlantain and Terminus like this.
  11. I love Lindsay Lohan.

12. My favourite movies feel really cliche, but I can go back to the same few over and over and still just feel a total sense of awe at the production, scripts, acting, direction, etc. A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Pulp Fiction, and Chinatown are some of the movies that made me fall in love with movies, so I hold them to a higher level. Otherwise, the stuff I like is literally all over the map: Boogie Nights, Cinema Paradiso, Apocalypse Now, Cruel Intentions, The Big Lebowski, Blade Runner, A Bronx Tale, Animal House, Good Will Hunting, Rushmore + basically anything else from Tarantino or Scorsese.

I also just watched The Nice Guys with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe and that was super fun though not especially memorable.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    blod and Sideout like this.
  13. Yes, it features Winona during her imperial phase, and good turns from Dunst, Danes and Sarandon, but the 1949 version is where it's at in my eyes. Taylor and Leigh are superb, and I just feel it captures the book better, but then again, me and my great Aunt spent at least one bank holiday a year giving it a watch when I was younger, so maybe plays a part in my love for it.

Drawlight likes this.
  14. The Love Witch deserves it's own thread.

Andreas and Terminus like this.
  15. Watching the recent Ben Hur, oh my, it is truly dreadful, from the dodgy (including Cockney) accents, Morgan Freeman playing, well Morgan Freeman to Ben living 5 years as a slave with distrevelled hair but still having a beard a north London hipster would be proud of. The only thing I've taken from it is that Googling it has revealed there really was no such thing as galley slaves at the time, they weren't starved slaves they were prized for their strength and were well looked after, which in hindsight, makes a lot of sense.

16. FILM IN NOT BEING FACTUALLY ACURATE SHOCK!

17. Does anyone think that actors may have stealthily declined because they lost their speaking voices, instead of their "looks"?

Uma Thurman comes to mind.

18. I watched I, Daniel Blake last night. Holy shit.

One of those amazing movies where very little happens in terms of plot, but the journey the characters go on is just so engaging. The acting was superb, I'm so surprised that Hayley Squires and Dave Johns didn't both nab Oscar noms.

But then it feels almost a bit....pointless to even discuss something as trivial as Oscars in light of what the movie is about. It really is one of those movies that makes you question everything about your life, and how lucky so many of us are - and how unlucky so many are, and how perpetually stuck they are in a situation which is more or less impossible to escape from. I wept during the scene in the foodbank.

blod likes this.
  19. Is this satire? The acting in that movie was fucking awful.

20. Eaux