Movie comments, outbursts, quips and general chatter | Page 217 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie comments, outbursts, quips and general chatter

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Alphableat, Dec 17, 2010.

1. I watched it...and was disappointed that the bits in the trailer I looked forward to weren't there. I suspect if I ever pick up the DVD there'll be a ton of deleted scenes, but why would I when the film was a so-so effort?

2. I don't fucking care. It was a whole lot of build-up for... well, nothing really.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  3. I don't care either, I was just mentioning that it's not in the MCU.

4. I know my tone was very pointed, but I didn't really mean it that way. xoxo

HollyDunnSomething likes this.
  5. Oh, apologies, I was a little surprised!

Remorque and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  6. Annihilation is awful, how did this get made?

7. Are you really asking this? It got great reviews. Yes, it‘s a bit divisive but it‘s by a well known director too.

lushLuck likes this.
  8. Geostorm. My God was this written in 1985?

Straight white masculine American guys sort out the world’s problems, British guy is a villain, famous-for-playing-bad-guy actor is the bad guy, countries annihilated by storms are all non-white or Russia, and despite the title the actual geostorm never happens!!! Fucking awful.

9. Geostorm offends suspension of disbelief colossally. It does have massive things going boom though.

Speaking of things going boom, while I enjoyed "Ready Player One" all the pop-culture references to 20th century stuff in something set in 2045 was slightly annoying. Pretty spectacular visually, but emotionally it was middle-of-the-road.

I had an excellent time watching two films I thought might be disappointing:
    "Midnight Sun" is a Fault In Our Stars style weepie with Patrick Schwarzenegger wooing Bella Thorne. It's very sweetly done and was thoroughly enjoyable (IF you like the genre)
    "Blockers" was a bunch of 40something parents played by 40something comic actors trying to cock-block their teenage kids, to much hilarity. The jokes were not sophisticated but the cheap,dirty laughs erupting from the cinema audience were heartfelt. I cackled at the smutty jokes.

lushLuck likes this.
  10. The movie makes it clear why everyone is obsessed with 80’s pop culture and the reason behind it though..? It ain’t random.

I thought Ready Player One was great. It’s verrrrrrrrry different from the book but I think it might actually be better!? And the author wrote the screenplay so I can’t be mad.

11. Ingrid Goes West was such an uncomfortable experience. Secondhand embarrassment was too much.

O'shea was so cute in this movie

12. I know they explain why they're all obsessed with the pop-culture references, it's still grating and reminds me of why I picked the book up in the bookshop, flicked through a few pages, and put it down again.

13. Oh, that’s a shame. Spotting the references was one of my favourite parts!

14. I enjoyed Blockers SO much more than I expected. It’s stupid, mindless, and incredibly funny! I really liked the younger stars and I was surprised that it was much more of heartfelt coming-of-age movie than advertised.

Maria likes this.
  15. Ready Player One was fun but I felt like it assumed I had ADHD watching it at points.

unnameable likes this.
  16. I think its one of my favourite movies all year.

diamond dogs and lushLuck like this.
  17. I went to see Final Portrait tonight because Armie Hammer is heaven to me. And it was ... I think trash is putting it too nicely? The story of the artist Alberto Giacommeti painting the American author James Lord (which Lord later wrote about). Geoffrey Rush as Alberto, Armie as James.

The movie was 90 minutes long and by my estimation, about 35 of those were just closeups of Armie Hammer’s face (which I didn’t mind at the start, but eventually, it’s like how many pores can a person see?), 20 of them were zoom-ins of single brush strokes onto the canvas, and another 15 minutes of Geoffrey Rush looking at the painting and going “Oh, fuck!”

A few scenes of Armie leaping into a pool from a diving board though. I’ll take the victories where I can.

Hybridcookie likes this.
  18. I had it on dvd a little while back, and yes, a very odd film, just doesnt do or go anywhere, completely pointless. I love longingly gazing at Armie like the next gay, but almost 2 hours of it was too much!

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  19. Blockers was a really pleasant surprise. The trailer didn't sell it to me at all - in fact, I'm pretty sure some of the trailer scenes aren't even in the film - but it's really sweet and consistently funny.

HollyDunnSomething and lushLuck like this.
  20. The Last Jedi was a mess DdDDddd