NAMIE AMURO Discography Rate 「Part One」【TOP 20】 | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAMIE AMURO Discography Rate 「Part One」【TOP 20】

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by BEST FICTION, Jan 22, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    I'll go wherever you are
    Follow the moon and the stars, cross over deserts and seas

better days: 6.93
    Highest Score:
    9 (@Cutlery), 8.5 (@RUNAWAY, @FINISH LINE)
    Lowest Score: 4 (@MarkB), 4.5 (@EachSmallStep)

"better days" was released in 2000 on the album break the rules. The song was producer by Dallas Austin. It's an uplifting mid-tempo song about doing anything you can to stay with your man. Lock him down, sis! Poke a hole in that condom! Child support! It is the third song eliminated from break the rules so far.

Otenkiame has been loving this song for a while now, " Another song I used to stan hard. I really love the rather laidback approach the arrangement has. It's also great to have the English chorus sung at the end instead of on top of the Japanese chorus like many of her other songs with Dallas Austin." Evilsin is just thankful he's finished rating GENIUS 2000, "Somehow this is not that different from the Dallas' production on Genius 2000 and yet I enjoy this more."
    Cutlery is a fan of the R&B elements incorporated into the song, " A bit of a bittersweet song where Amuro narrates all the amazing things she’d do to relieve the good 'ol days with her lover; elsewhere, production-wise it's well-crafted and has a few great R&B nods." EachSmallStep feels like the song doesn't stack up in the tracklisting, "Lacks the pep I anticipated from the instrumentals. The soft vocals are fine and I like the quick line at 3:15. Falls flat after no more tears."
    And send photo is serving some piping hot tea for y'all, "she’s no BRIGHTER DAY."

This is literally so unrelated but I have nothing else:
  2. Expected given Still in Love's placement, although it's sad it was outlasted by Never Shoulda & Girlfriend
    BEST FICTION likes this.
  3. [​IMG]
    We'll lock this small one room
    and make love together

endlessly and forever

B w/z you: 6.95
    Highest Score:
    8.5 (@Cutlery, @FINISH LINE, @Jawshxx), 8 (@otenkiame, @vague, @RUNAWAY, @mi|kshake, @EachSmallStep)
    Lowest Score: 5 (@BEST FICTION, @send photo, @evilsin), 5.5 (@vikeyeol)

"B w/z you" was originally released in 1997 as part of Namie's 3rd album, Concentration 20. The song is an inspirational ballad, maybe, about trying to get back together with an ex, at least in my interpretation of it. The song is the third eliminated from Concentration 20.

Send photo could do without this, "Definitely the weak link of the album. I’ll b w/z myself, thanks." Evilsin is also not volunteering to b w/z it, "This is a bit dull, isn't it? I like the melody and I can feel Namie's emotion, but it's kinda lifeless." EachSmallStep wants Namie to just get over the damn breakup, "Goes from ominous to calming with a soft rock sound. I always hum along. Has whiny parts, especially around the 3 min mark."

Otenkiame feels like the song is underrated, "A really different ballad for her. The whole rock arrangement sets it apart drastically from any of her others. Sweet, somewhat bitter, and mature. It's a shame it's not more highly regarded." Cutlery takes a jab at Concentration 20's title track, "I'm feeling the subdued ballad rock feel in this track a lot more than in the harsher opener, which in this case fits the electronic undertones and the hazy atmosphere of it all."

Take it away, Shanana Star!

4. Oh wow I'm really taking a hit today huh?
    Also we are @ 7+ averages now right?
  5. ouch

Hmm. I feel like I liked the lyrics of better days more than the song itself? I don't know. Maybe it's that the music has more of an upbeat mood than the lyrics seem to convey and I don't like the disconnect in this case.

B w/z you is fine. A bit boring to me but I kinda liked the way Namie sang the chorus.
    EachSmallStep and BEST FICTION like this.
  6. Not true, I liked GENIUS 2000 quite a bit. I struggled with Concentration 20 a lot more.
    otenkiame, yuuurei and BEST FICTION like this.
  7. I gotta create some drama and keep things interesting, sis!

*creates a narrative that you hate GENIUS 2000*
  8. [​IMG]
    vikeyeol, Weslicious, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  9. [​IMG]
    Sorry, but I won't make an effort to be liked
    But it's still better than being taken by someone

Storm: 7.05
    Highest Score: 10 (@vikeyeol, @digitalkaiser, @FINISH LINE), 9 (@soratami)
    Lowest Score: 3 (@yuuurei), 4 (@Jawshxx)

"Storm" was originally released on Namie's third album, Concentration 20. It is the fourth elimination from that album. How does one even attempt to describe "Storm"? A trip-hop, theatrical upbeat song that wouldn't sound out of place at a basketball game about not letting your walls down for love but leaving it to fate. It's really quite an interesting track in Namie's discography so I can see why it's divisive.

RUNAWAY leaves us with a simple "yas!" Otenkiame is relieved, "Rapping Namie returns, and thank the stars it's better than that mess, "Joy". I mean, it's still kinda cheesy, but that middle eight piano bridge with the jazzy flare is where it's at! I've just always had a soft spot for it." EachSmallStep appreciates the shorter length, "Short and snazzy. Really gets in your face at the end."
    Vikeyeol likes that this packs a punch, "I really love how brash and in your face this is." Evilsin recognises real, "You can notice outright that the lyrics were written by a rapper, considering, well, the fact that Namie is rapping. I like the last lines of the chorus, the melody is really nice here." But Cutlery isn't a fan of Namie's flow, "The verses rap are a bit hit or miss to me. However, the chorus slays and so does the ghostly piano in the middle of the song." send photo is less enthuastic, however, "Jarring, to say the least. Kind of like an actual storm I guess so work."

Another karaoke cause avex blocked my live performance upload of the song instantly:

10. Why do you people hate fun yet experimental bops

11. lol
    Slice of Life, MarkB, vague and 2 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    I don't care how far I've fallen, but
    what's important is what I've built up

break the rules: 7.11
    Highest Score: 9.5 (@Remorque, @EachSmallStep), 9 (@evilsin, @digitalkaiser)
    Lowest Score: 4.5 (@vikeyeol), 5 (@send photo, @MarkB)

Our first title track has fallen and I'm honestly surprised it's this one. "break the rules" was originally released in 2000 on the album of the same name. It was TK's attempt at an R&B song, and while he didn't exactly fail, some would argue he didn't quite succeed either. The main complaints that you guys had with this song were the repetitiveness and pronunciation, which I don't really find an issue with. I think it's cute!

Cutlery needs a bit more meat on this bone, "I appreciate what they went for sonically paired with the aggressive pseudo-rapped lyrics as it's a side of Namie she hadn't explored as much at this point of her career, but I can’t help thinking the track sounds somewhat demo-ish at times." RUNAWAY thinks it's an earworm, "kind of repetitive, but in a good way. But the pronunciation just makes me cringe every time." Otenkiame tries to remain impartial, "So TK tried his hand at an R&B song, and we got this. It's not bad if you look at it as a pop song, but is a little lacking elsewise. And, try as I might, it's hard not to criticize her for her pronunciation of "rules" considering she sings the word so many times."

Evilsin sends his compliments to the chef, "The squeezed out suffocating synth is a career highlight as well as "let's break the lures"." EachSmallStep is living for it even with it's few drawbacks, "Love her fierceness and the intensity midway. One of the few instances her vibrato is prominent, which is a bonus. Sometimes “lures” and the mild stuffiness bother me, but the fervor of the song helps me forget."

And send photo is fired, "Since this is the title track I’ll just air my grievances about this album here; the dated 00’s production is my main issue with this album. Nothing that comes out of this time period ages particularly well. There’s a certain charm to 90’s music, as present in S19B and C20, that’s lacking from 00’s music. The only things I’d take from this album would be the slower songs because they aren’t being hampered by (at the time) on-trend production quirks that curse everything from this time period."

13. That's it for the results today! I'll leave you with a little teaser for tomorrow's next 5 to go...

We are losing our first 11. Theorise among yourselves, preferably without revealing what you gave your 11 to so we keep the suspense going.
  14. I, for one, appreciate how all the albums are almost equally represented in the top 40!
    And I surely hope it's not my 11, I hope to see it in the top 20
    vikeyeol, vague, yuuurei and 2 others like this.
  15. Also if you guys didn't submit commentary, it'd be really sweet if you guys could send me a little comment about your 11s at least! If you want...

16. [​IMG]
  17. I like both Storm and Break The Rules. I remember disliking Storm quite a bit at first, but it has grown on me after listening to it a million times (after all, Concentration 20 is my favorite of her early albums). I think Break The Rules was among the first of Namie's songs that I listened to. I love how it opens and I don't mind the repetitive chorus or the prononciation. Whenever I try to listen to that album, I rarely make it past this song, as I just put it on repeat ^_^;;
    vikeyeol, mi|kshake, vague and 5 others like this.
  18. I'll try and type up some commentary sis, at least for the singles which will be me posting the SO CRAZY performance and saying "wig."
  19. S19B > Break the Lures > Make You Alright > Love 2000 (closest to a title track??)​
    BEST FICTION and EachSmallStep like this.
  20. I want a divorce.
    I believe it could be mine. I did say it was unconventional.
    vague, send photo and BEST FICTION like this.