Neil Gaiman's American Gods (by Bryan Fuller, on Starz) | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods (by Bryan Fuller, on Starz)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by LE0Night, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Exactly what it says on the tin, Gaiman's classic story about the ancient gods in modern America, served up by perhaps the most abused genius in the TV industry, Bryan Fuller (RIP, Hannibal, RIP, Pushing Daisies etc. etc.). It's been in gestation for years, but in a post-Game of Thrones world it did of course have significantly less trouble getting cleared. HBO ironically passed on it, though (madness), so it's being released on it's younger sibling Starz instead. Which also means that any sort of explicit material won't just not be skimped on but embraced with glee (yes, the scene with that poor guy getting, uh... "inhaled", is also included).

Shadow is being played by Ricky Whittle from The 100, and the rest of the cast includes Emily Browning (Laura), Ian McShane (Wednesday), Gillian Anderson (Media) (also yas), Orlando Jones (Mr Nancy), Kristin Chenoweth (Easter), Peter Stormare (Czernobog), Dane Cook as that twat best friend who dies 5 seconds in etc.

The early reviews have been excellent, it's eight episodes long and set to premiere on April 30.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Terminus and sfmartin like this.
  2. It's a great book. I'll give it a watch.

I can't not find it weird that the bloke from Hollyoaks is playing the lead in a US TV show though.

3. I can't not find it weird that Emily Browning is old enough to be in this show.

Regardless, the book is killer and if they do it right, this show should be amazing. I hadn't looked at the casting. Kristin Chenoweth and Gilian Anderson are GENIUS decision.

LE0Night and Terminus like this.
  4. Never read but I'm ready for it.

LE0Night likes this.
  5. One of the best books ever written...

I'm in.

LE0Night likes this.
  6. It. Looks. Fucking. Awesome.

LE0Night likes this.
  7. Also re: Gillian, she tweeted some pictures of herself in costume a while back.

Terminus likes this.
  8. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They all look amazing, but.
    "OMG".
    Really.

[​IMG]

Also.

Hah.

9. Wow.

edit: (It's made by Elastic, by the way, who have a long, long list of very grand opening sequences on their rep. (including but not limited to Carnivale, Game of Thrones, Daredevil and Luke Cage, Westworld, Masters of Sex, True Detective, Justified, Man in the High Castle, etc.)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Leopold likes this.
  10. Thoughts on the first episode girls?

11. Did I really just see someone being swallowed by cunt?

12. Yas, King Fuller does it again.

The cinematography, just like Hannibal, puts a lot of movies to shame.

LE0Night and JapaneseJesus like this.
  13. I'm so behind on everything right now but I really need to start watching this tonight. Bryan Fuller is my favorite showrunner out there. I cant believe that he can bring such direction to tv shows and have them vary in looks (Hannibal and this being the most similar but even then).

Terminus likes this.
  14. It was really beautiful. Slow, but beautiful. The ending had me shook and thirsty for more.

LE0Night and Monkey0 like this.
  15. I think that was one of the best first episodes ever. The bar fight, the funeral, everything with Wednesday... loved it. And Bilquis is a queen obviously.

LE0Night likes this.
  16. It opens the book, and I was hooked...

I'm finally watching it now, it looks like Hannibal on even more acid, and I can just about but Ricky Whittle's accent, so looks like I'm in.

LE0Night likes this.
  17. I REALLY hate that I didn't love this more.

I'm in the middle of reading the book and find it enjoyable, but this seemed a tad... cheap and disjointed even though it's a pretty faithful adaptation.

18. The second episode is so much better than the first (not that the first was bad by any means). The casting on this show is so superb. Everyone, Orlando, Peter Stormare, Cloris, Gillian, Yetide is perfect. It's so exciting to see this world realised, give me more.

19. It's just so refreshing to see something able to take its time when adapting one of my favourite novels. Game of Thrones had some of that in the beginning, but it quickly became its own thing, with its own pace (and its own plotlines). This is so close to the text, but doesn't feel shackled by it. They're really making the most of the visual medium to show, not tell, and it's just so engaging. The "Coming To America" "Somewhere in America" "Let's go on a roadtrip" format is so perfect for an episodic series, and I can't wait to see how they handle my favourite segments.

Czernabog's house was probably my least favourite section of the novel, so the fact that I still loved this episode is a good sign for the future.

[Edit] (Oh and Gillian Anderson killed it.)

LE0Night likes this.