NEW! General Technology Discussion | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW! General Technology Discussion

Discussion in 'The Internet' started by mattyjayy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. I don't like that Retina seems to be something they think you should pay for as an extra in the Mac lineup.

Can you imagine if the 6 Plus was 960x540 and you had to pay an extra £100 get get an HD screen?

2. kal

kal

I love how this is basically an Apple thread.

3. Oh yeah, my iPhone got fixed. They only took it in for an hour and I got the screen replaced for no charge, their customer service is scarily good. The funny part is that my father's Galaxy phone has been away for repairs for almost three weeks now because of a speaker problem.

4. How come they replaced the screen for free?

5. Since it was a problem from within the phone itself, rather than from something external, their T&Cs dictate that it's on them to replace it for free. I got a receipt that said it would have cost about £65 otherwise, which I'm very glad I didn't have to pay!

6. Doesn't this just sum up Apple perfectly?

[​IMG]

In Mountain Lion, you can tell immediately whether an item is a clickable button, a text input box, or a non-clickable information box. In Yosemite, all three are rendered identically. "digital.nyc" is a text input box, "Build Test: Succeeded" is not, but there's no way of knowing that without clicking it.

And the only way to tell whether something is a button or an input box is that one has an icon in it, one has text in it. Except Apple's guidelines allow you to use either in a button.

So you can have a rectangle with some text in it and there's literally no way to know what will happen when you click that box before you click it, which you would think would be the first "do not" on the first slide of the first lecture in Design 101.

7. iOS 8.3 is out. Hopefully Safari has stopped being an arsehole.

8. Oh boy, let me rush and download it!

Subtext: Every software update of the last four years has been progressively worse than the last and Apple can go screw itself.

9. I regret buying an iPad Air. Until the fabled 'iPad Pro' comes along and runs a full OS, I find the iPad a completely redundant piece of kit and useless without huge storage. I mainly just take my iPhone 6 and Kindle everywhere with me.

The Apple Watch can fuck off. I don't want a smart watch, but the only one I'd vaguely consider buying would be the new Pebble Time.

10. kal

kal

I love my iPad for casual reading and browsing.

11. Yeah I never got an iPad to do work. I just browse the internet, read articles, games and replying to emails. They're not really designed for proper 'work'...

12. You'd expect good service if you're spending £13k anywhere, but even so, I find it ridiculous that Apple is giving preferential treatment to Apple Watch Edition customers, they're basically saying 'if you can't afford a £13k watch, you can't sit with us.'

13. They are? Any more details?

iOS 8.3 didn't fix my Safari bug. I'm gonna book an appointment at the Genius Bar.

14. kal

kal

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/8...will-shop-for-an-apple-watch-edition-in-paris

15. Finally got the Lollipop update. It's very shiny and slick, like having a new phone. The notifications are playing up a bit, though.

16. Updated too. Looks nice, runs a bit slower though. Hopefully they'll iron that out...

17. I don't want to sound stupid because I think I'm usually quite good with technology stuff but is there any way of getting rid of songs you've purchased on itunes from your iphone?! Removing them on itunes and from playlists etc never seems to work and they always just get redownloaded. My mother has a million christmas songs she wants to get rid of on her iphone 6 and I just could not for the life of me get rid of them!

18. kal

kal

Lollipop is absolutely beautiful, but I cannot ever deal with Android as a whole.

robots need oil, fire up iTunes on a computer, log into your account, go to Account Info and click the 'Manage' button in the 'Hidden Purchases' section.

Then just hide the purchases you don't want to reappear.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  19. Thank you so much!

20. I just discovered the joys of Ghostery on my laptop and phone. No wonder PopJustice runs so slow when it's got 12 trackers running in the background.