New theme | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New theme

Discussion in 'Forum business' started by Popjustice, May 24, 2017.

1. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Hiya

Thinking of updating the forum's theme in the next week or so.

I haven't finished tweaking the new version (in fact there's loads that needs sorting) but thought some of you might like to have a go on it anyway and it'd be great to hear your suggestions and comments in the meantime.

The added bonus is that I haven't put the ad code into it yet so it'll be ad-free for the time being if you switch to it. I mean loads of you use adblockers anyway but whatever.

If you scroll right to the bottom of the page and click on this...

[​IMG]

...you should be able to choose Popjustice 17 as the theme.

I mean if everyone hates it you don't have to use it, but there it is.

Cheers!

PX

2. kal

kal

From first glance: I miss the Alerts & Notifications already.

I'll be adding more feedback whenever I notice anything.

And as always, if you need any help with the CSS, you know where to find me.

3. 2014

2014 Moderator

Yes the alerts is the first thing I noticed missing, but I love it otherwise.

4. Hello Peter, it's very....white! And causes me great eye pain just looking at it for a short time (I have health issues, so I am not Joe Average, I admit). I wouldn't be able to use it that much at all, which would make me a very sad old fucker!

(I also would miss the alerts feature, which has been very useful to me and is now quite an intrinsic part of my "user experience").

5. I like the design and layout as it's easy to read more than the current theme but a little less white would be nice it's a problem I have with current web design the white is too harsh for my eyes as I'm hypersensitive due to my disability.

I miss the notifications they are exceedingly useful though especially when being tagged in a thread.

6. I agree on the stark whiteness. I already feel a headache could come on just from a few minutes with it. Visual things are not even a huge trigger for me, but can be for lots of people with migraines.

7. I agree with everybody when it comes to missing the notifications and the theme being too white. I'd like to add that the pink at the bottom is also too bright and for someone who blogs at night with dim lighting it's a killer.

Everything else is very pleasant. I enjoy the tweak that allows you to go from post to post without scrolling a lot.

8. Yeah, the whiteness is my only complaint. Imgur is one of my favourite site designs simply because it's easier on the eyes, maybe you could use a touch of that for inspiration?

9. I am generally allergic to change so switching to the new theme was not a good experience for me. But I appreciate the fact that you always try to make an effort to make this forum better. Thanks @Popjustice! x

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    K94, Alouder98, sexercise and 6 others like this.
  10. I don't mind the new layout, it is quite white but so was the old layout, it just had more pink!
    I think with some tweaking the black and white option would be really nice to have, I do like the look of the top bar quite a bit. (It could house additional information)

The posts themselves look a little like they run on into each other without a more defined boarder, so it would be nice to have that. Otherwise the grays, the black and white and the spacing of everything looks great.

Edit: Actually this works/looks really neat on mobile.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Andy French likes this.
  11. I just noticed this and I like it so far - in addition to the above, the bright blue dotted line above signatures looks a bit...out of place.

12. R92

R92

Aesthetically, I love the new theme, though I completely understand the concerns with the excess of white. The removal of the notifications does feel odd, though; it would be nice to retain that in some manner, even if it's less conspicuous.

Eric Generic likes this.
  13. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Thanks for the feedback so far! Notifications (you mean the pop-up ones right, not the number that appears in the top bar?) is something I can add if/when the theme is set live, as far as I can see (if I do it now people using the old theme will get double notifications). Have removed some of the white, is that better for people?

14. That Witness promo won't let up!
    If you mean balancing some of the white out with grey, yeah that seems to work well. Perhaps up the contrast a bit more if it's still visually unpleasant for some posters?

Had a few other thoughts:
    • @Andy French is right, the dotted blue divider for signatures is a bit random. Perhaps it could be changed to a continuous grey line like those around the username/stats?
    • Could mentioned names (following an @) and links be distinguished from normal text somehow? The previous design just used Popjustice Pink.
    • Similarly, could likes at the bottom of a post be more prominent ?(using Popjustice Pink like in the previous design should work). They are currently indistinguishable.
    Other than that, all the new features are genuine improvements, and this is a far easier transition than the previous one, so thanks Peter!

Remorque, K94, send photo and 11 others like this.
  15. It is!

16. Oh, the mobile is genuinely really nice.

Andy French and digitalkaiser like this.
  17. This is much kinder to my eyes now, I wonder if it's possible to have an option to have email alerts for when being being tagged in threads I have periods where I don't log in for ages so it would be really useful to have.

18. It's cute, needs more pink though. Also, the "this user(s) likes this" is far too small or at least too indistinct.

Andy French and BEST FICTION like this.
  19. I just want to restate, this works and looks really nice on mobile and I appreciate that. The menus slide seamlessly and the quick scroll bar on mobile is a huge boon. It feels much more like an 'app' then the old layout and I like that.

The added gray is a step in the right direction.

Andy French and eccentricsimply like this.
  20. I kinda hate the sidebars on mobile. I liked being able to hit the New Posts/Watched Threads button without having to open a menu, same goes for notifications. It felt instantly accessible where the sidebars take that extra second to access. Maybe that's just my aversion to change.