Oscar Bait 2017/18 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oscar Bait 2017/18

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. It's almost June (somehow)! We need to be looking ahead!

Dame Judi Dench has thrown her hat in the ring.

I can definitely see Actress and Director (Stephen Frears) nods for this not-at-all Oscar baity film. It looks quite uplifting but with plenty of dramatic heft for DJD.

2. The trailer for The Mountain Between Us, disaster movie with Elba and Winslet just dropped.

Doesn't really look like a contender to me... looks like (slightly trashy) fun though.

3. Whatever happened to Kate Winslet? Her roles have been consistently uninteresting since her 2008 one-two punch.

4. Well, hello.

This looks fabulous.

stuaw and Laura Vanderbooben like this.
  5. Wish Depp wasn't in it, but great trailer.

stuaw likes this.
  6. There was her acclaimed performance in Mildred Pierce but that was on television. And she did get a supporting nod for Steve Jobs.

lushLuck and Island like this.
  7. Well you'll be thrilled by what happens to him in it.

Baby Clyde, lushLuck and Trousers like this.
  8. [​IMG]

Darren Aronofsky's Mother! ... Jennifer and Michelle?

New Flame, Someboy and lushLuck like this.
  9. I'm such a sucker for Christie and this looks to have a budget not really ever seen in one of her adaptations. So excited for it (even though I know the ending unless they've changed it). (Also ditch the Imagine Dragons please).

I need a world where Michelle Pfeiffer has an Oscar so I hope so.

Meanwhile, I'm still relentlessly stanning Beauty and the Beast and expect it to get a slew of tech noms at the very least.

10. Films which have trailers out and could have a shot at acting/director/picture noms:

2014, Slice of Life and Someboy like this.
  11. Max 5 videos per post, really?

Slice of Life and Someboy like this.
  12. Wouldn't that be a kii?

Laura Vanderbooben likes this.
  13. Good for her. Still, looking at her filmography, her output seems to have imploded quality-wise the last couple of years. Something must have happened, no?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Call Me By Your Name.

14. It's a struggle to find good parts for women over 40 in Hollywood and Kate is now in her 40s so finding quality parts will be challenging. However, she is a respected actress and Oscar winner.

She's going to be in Woody Allen's upcoming movie.

Lucy Honeychurch likes this.
  15. Can't wait for Armie Hammer going gay with the kid out of Homeland.

16. I want Wonder Woman to get a couple of nods. Even if people will claim it's the novelty factor.

17. Excited for all the films @Mikal mentioned. Seeing The Beguiled next Thursday; am a HUGE Sofia & Kirsten fan, so I hope it lives up to my expectations.

I saw Ingrid Goes West last night, which got some great attention at Sundance this year. It's the best film I've seen in 2017 thus far, and although it has no chance at Globes/Oscars, I'm hoping it gets enough attention for Indie Spirit.

diamondliam likes this.
  18. Kirsten Dunst to get her first nomination please. I've been waiting patiently for decades.

19. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Again, I must make an annual statement of discontent on not being this thread's creator, but I suppose it's in good hands.

Very excited for Dunkirk. I think if it plays as well as the trailers suggest, Nolan will easily get a directing nomination and might be considered the early favorite.

20. I'm sure it will be very well done, but war movies are so boring to me. The trailer didn't excite me whatsoever.

Baby Clyde and lushLuck like this.