Oscar Bait 2017/18 | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oscar Bait 2017/18

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. I've chosen to ignore this film - and Louis C.K.'s I Love You, Daddy - for that very reason.

Listen, I would hardly say I'm going after the film by saying this (my 'horribly dull' comment does that). Also having only seen the trailer, it may be completely justified. It just made me slightly frustrated, which is nothing more than a personal observation (only heightened by the numerous similar examples provided in the following posts).

Jwentz likes this.
  2. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Women LOVE Sean Connery though, in every age.

2014 likes this.
  3. Men love Helen Mirren in every age. I don’t see her shagging Zac Efron.

stuaw likes this.
  4. I would be totally down for Helen Mirren to do a movie where she's a romantic lead with a younger guy of a similar age to Zac Efron. Not Zac Efron though.

I'm starting to think that I need to gain some more standards about age difference other than the fact that both parties have to be of legal age. I just never really had a problem with romantic relationships with a significant age difference between two people.

5. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  6. What a movie though ! Why wasn't Catherine Zeta cast as James Bond after this?

Mikal likes this.
  7. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

(Catherine also has a real life thing for older men, but I get that's beside the point.)

-tastic likes this.
  8. Christian Slater is 22 years older than me, and yes any day of the week.

9. Saw Lady Bird last night and can't recommend it enough. A fantastic debut from Greta Gerwig with two wonderful performances from Ronan and Metcalf. A beautifully honest coming-of-age drama that gave me a ton of feels.

Completely agree with @Baby Clyde in thinking the film is too "slight" to be a major awards contender. Maybe a Golden Globe nod, but much like Edge Of 17 last year, it's a heartwarming tale that just doesn't have the 'gravitas' a film usually needs to be a major awards player. I just hope it doesn't fall too under the radar.

10. I just came to post about this! I haven't seen it but the reviews are massively positive. A 94 on Metacritic from 16 reviews. I think based on the reviews alone it sounds like shoo-ins for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress especially now that Saoirse Ronan is Oscar calibre since Brooklyn.

11. Supporting is a dead cert and Screenplay looks pretty likely.

Actress and Picture are up in the air because of the fierce competish. With 10 slots the film looks like a decent bet but Ronan is currently contesting for that 5th slot along with Dench and Chastain. McDormand, Hawkins and Robbie are looking relatively safe and Streep the total wildcard as literally nothing is known about the film yet. Bening dropped like a stone once the film was shown at TIFF and I don't understand why. It's perfectly decent and she's great in it. Winslett is presumably dead in the water considering the current climate.

All of this can of course change one the precursors start getting announced.

stuaw and lushLuck like this.
  12. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I'm excited to see Ladybird based Ronan being my favorite actress under 30 but I've never been that impressed with Greta.

13. Greta's not actually in the film, so you should be good, and I think it's Ronan's best performance to date.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Glad to hear about Ronan! I absolutely adored her in Brooklyn and would have had her win actress that year. It's actually the writing that I'm worried about with Greta though.

I Tonya trailer looks incredible.

lushLuck and stuaw like this.
  15. Very excited about Lady Bird because I'm a huge Saoirse fan ever since Atonement. She's definitely one of the finest young actors right now, probably the best one, in my opinion, and it's only a matter of time before she wins an Oscar. She was marvelous on Brooklyn.

16. Have any of you bothered to watch The Meyerowich Stories?

I fucking hated it. HATED IT!!! Only finished watching so I could criticize it with authority.

It's a headache inducing cacophony of totally disagreeable characters shouting at each other for 2 hours. Add to that it's self consciously 'quirky' stylings, wildly uneven performances and directorial flourishes that are irritating in the extreme. The tone consistently swings from comedy to drama but never makes up kit's mid what its supposed to be so there are set pieces that you can see were supposed to be funny that left me stony faced. I literally didn't laugh once. At times I was totally confused if something was even supposed to be a joke or not. My eyes rolled so much I'm surprised they didn't fall straight out of their sockets.

It's like a super annoying Woodly Allen parody only without Mia farrow, Diane Keaton or a single other character to sympathise with. The fact that it's been getting raves is totally bewildering to me.

There are 2 moments which I did connect to. Ben Stiller has a fantastic emotional scene which blew me away and leaves me wondering why Sandler and Hoffman are the ones being singled out for praise and there is a one off Willem Dafoe line from Emma Thompson that made me smirk (Otherwise she's terrible, a sentence I've never uttered before).

After watching I realised that I've never seen a Baumbach film before. Pretty certain that now I never will again.

It would easily be my worst film of the year if I hadn't sat through the clusterfuck that was mother! (And I've seen Suburbicon!!!).

Laura Vanderbooben and lushLuck like this.
  17. It's entirely incredible. My 2nd favourite film of the year.

lushLuck and MollieSwift21 like this.
  18. Noted. I wasn't interested in seeing it as is, but will now avoid at all costs. The only Baumbach film I've ever seen is The Squid & The Whale, which I enjoyed, but everything since has looked too insufferable to acknowledge.

Saw The Shape of Water last night and it's easily the best film I've seen in 2017. A magical, touching adult fairy tale that excels in every aspect. It will be criminal if this doesn't receive Oscar attention on every level. It's beautifully told and directed, with aesthetics expectedly on point, and wonderfully affecting performances. Some of the subject matter is surprisingly timely, which makes it much more than an escapist fantasy tale. It's whimsical in the best way, with enough sex and violence to make this a very grown-up affair. Will be seeing it again.

19. The further away I am from seeing it the less I like it.

It’s a kids film. It’s basiclaly E.T. With jarring sex and violence that thrones the tone completely off.

I wish they’d gone the whole hog and just embraced its inner Goonies but instead we have a mish mash that’s too adult for children and too childish for adults.

Looks great and deserves plenty of tech attention but I would give it a single above the line nomination, not even Hawkins.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  20. I don't disagree it shares glaring similarities to things like E.T., Beauty & The Beast, Stranger Things...the list goes on; it's by no means an original story. That said, I think it does a great job at taking those very familiar stories for children and converting them into something that really works for adults. I didn't actually think the sex and violence worked against the fantasy/'fairy tale' feel of the film; if anything; I thought they worked in its favor. And Hawkins took a character who could have easily been frustrating/annoying, and made it into someone I was really rooting for.

Baby Clyde likes this.