Oscar Bait 2017/18 | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oscar Bait 2017/18

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, May 30, 2017.

1. I must have seen the original at least 5 times and still had no idea what was going on.

lushLuck likes this.
  2. The Post looks good, but I don't have much faith in Spielberg anymore. His films of the past 10 years have been terrible. He needs to go back to making blockbusters. That's where Spielberg really shines.

3. I doubt it'll get any Oscar attention, but I saw Thank You For Your Service and thought it was pretty great, especially the performances. I thought it'd be a bit more cliche as the story has been told many times, but it actually had me gripped pretty quickly and I cried like 10 fucking times. Miles Teller was fantastic.

Amy Schumer was awful, easily the worst part of the film.

4. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I saw it... on a date. Obviously, there's no future for us as a couple.

I'm hoping Downsizing will be the 'must see' Oscar contender, because everything is falling short or just boredom. mother! and Orient Express never felt like Oscar movies to me though.

lushLuck likes this.
  5. This feels like an unprecedented move, but the only way Sony could hope to turn a profit:

Jwentz and Someboy like this.
  6. I would watch the movie about Christopher Plummer replacing Kevin Spacey in All The Money In The World.

Cathal and lushLuck like this.
  7. The Best Actor category seems weak this year because everyone's dead set on Oldman already. How boring, predictable, etc.

I know it's a long shot but I'm really rooting for Chalamet. His performance in Call Me By Your Name is the kind I'd like to see awarded—effortless, no gimmicks, full of emotion. He was the pulse of that film.

8. The Florida Project is one of my favourite films I have seen in a long time. It's like a compilation of One Perfect Shots, every single frame is perfectly set up and dripping with colour. Such a beautiful film. And those tracking shots that followed Willem Dafoe!! *chef kisses air*, I can't imagine anyone beating him out in my Supporting Actor ranking. Honestly Bria Vinaite was absolutely incredible as the mother too, there's no way she's making it in what is a stacked field but she is worthy of so much praise and attention.

lushLuck likes this.
  9. The Florida Project is probably my favourite thing I’ve seen this year. So effervescent and it just leapt off the screen. The performances were just so good. I could easily have watched another two hours.

lushLuck and Lost In Japan. like this.
  10. This was my thought too! When it ended I was gutted, partly because it was so sudden but also because I could have spent hours more in Moonee's world.

11. Agreed on the film ending far too soon. I wanted more time with these characters.

12. Saw Downsizing last night. I enjoyed it, but felt it went a bit off the rails by the end. It's a fantastic premise, and the first half of the film is a delightful, humorous look into the downsized process and what life is like when you undergo the change. Unfortunately, as the film goes on, the filmmakers focus solely on Damon's dull character and his neverending moral dilemmas. I was excited by the numerous people we're introduced to in the downsized world, but we're always stuck with Damon's uninteresting schlub. The film remains captivating because of the concept - and thanks to Hong Chau's scene-stealing/breakthrough/award-worthy performance - but I wish Payne had the sense to dump his protagonist for one of the numerous supporting/cameo characters we meet along the way who actually have a personality.

13. I actually think Michelle Pfeiffer could be in with a shot for a Best Supporting nom for Murder... she really stood out.

14. I would love to see Michelle Pfeiffer get in this year. She is a goddess and an unrewarded Hollywood legend.

15. Agreed, I saw it last night and Michelle definitely should be in with a chance. I also really enjoyed the film.