Overrated and Overplayed Bops Of Yesteryear | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overrated and Overplayed Bops Of Yesteryear

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by UnionJackMix, Nov 7, 2017.

1. OPINIONS NEEDED

A. Overkill
    B. He's right
    C. Anti-pop snobbery
    D. Other

Irish DJ Cian Ó Cíobháin has posted his updated WEDDING DJ BLACKLIST UPDATE

+++++++++++++++
    "Over a year ago, I posted my wedding music blacklist here and you folk were very kind to remind me of some monstrosities that I’d forgotten to include. So I'm back to you for more suggestions and happy to tweak this list as we go along (feel free, if you wish, to compile it into one of the worse playlists that Spotify has ever hosted).

The wedding blacklist that I send to couples getting married who might be thinking of booking me isn’t 100% set in stone. I will waver – within reason! – from the list if there’s a track that’s got certain significance, ironic or otherwise, with a particular group of people. That said, I’ve never played at least 90% of the artists or tracks on the list below. Unlike Moodymann, I've never stooped low enough to wreck a party with 'Sex On Fire'.

The blacklist works well for me when I get cold-contacted by people who have no previous knowledge about me, but are just looking for a regular wedding DJ. It’s a way of illustrating to them that I’m not the right fit for their plans, which is cool, as I always will recommend someone who is. It's all about having a DJ that's on the same page as you playing at your wedding.

So, below you’ll find a blacklist that’s ever-evolving …. People have said to me "What… no Take That on your list? No ‘I Will Always Love You’? No ‘Summer Of 69’? No Spice Girls?’ " But, like everyone else, I have my guilty pleasures. Also Justin Bieber used to be on this list, but * some * of his tracks eventually won me over (though I've only had cause to play him once at a wedding in the past year).

Personally, I could do without ever hearing ‘Uptown Funk’, or ‘Happy’, or any Adele songs ever again, but I’m flexible on these: I’ll play them if the party needs them. Although I’ve hardly had to play them at all in 2017, truth be told.

‘Maniac 2000’ by Mark McCabe was on the blacklist for a long, long time but I took it off this year. I’m still not a fan of this very peculiar tune, preferring Michale Sembello’s 1983 original, but I realise that it’s become a huge (national?) anthem for so many people, some who genuinely love it, others who prefer to consider it as a ‘guilty pleasure’. So I’ve played it at about four weddings this year (usually some guy with a tie around his head comes to tell me “Hey DJ, I told ya this’d rock the party. Listen up, I've more advice for ya: play it again later!”) And he might be right, after all, it is the fifth top-selling single in this country of all time.

Of course when people do book me, I also ask them to send me a list of their most unwanted … after all, we need to get the tone of the party 100% spot on!

Oh, and what about ‘Despacito’… the most requested songs by teenagers or young 20-somethings (after Ed Sheeran)? I’m looking at the video on YouTube right now, it’s sunny, everyone is beautiful and having fun in the sun. Why can't I be like them? Am I that much a curmudgeon? Hold me.

NA h-AMHRÁIN NÁ CASAIM

Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (I’m allergic to every version of this song, including the Steve Earle original)
    Rihanna feat Calvin Harris – We Found Love
    The Proclaimers - I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
    Smokie - Living Next Door To Alice
    Journey - Don’t Stop Believing
    Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
    Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
    Hues Corporation - Rock The Boat
    ABBA - Dancing Queen (one of my all time faves, but not at a wedding, anywhere but a wedding)
    AC/DC – Thunderstruck (I have more tasteful options to get the testoreone going)
    Dexy’s Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
    Village People - YMCA
    Status Quo - Rockin All Over The World
    Tina Turner - Simply The Best
    Don McLean - American Pie
    Counting Crows - Mr Jones
    The Rednex - Cotton Eyed Joe
    Reef - Raise Your Hands
    Tony Christie - Amarillo
    Los Lobos - La Bamba
    The Gypsy Kings - Bamboleo
    Daddy Yankee & Luis Fonsi - Despacito
    Eiffel 65 - Blue
    Scatman John - The Scatman
    Robbie Williams - Angels / Rock DJ (pretty much all of Robbie’s solo stuff)
    Whigfield - Saturday Night
    Darude - Sandstorm
    PSY - Gangnam Style
    LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem / Sexy & I Know It
    Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza
    Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines
    Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling [and pretty much all Black Eyed Peas tracks, bar their early classic ‘Weekend’)
    Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
    Céline Dion – My Heart Will Go On
    Hozier – Take Me To Church
    Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
    Peter Andre - Mysterious Girl
    Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany’s
    Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
    Stereophonics – Have A Nice Day
    Lumineers - Ho Hey
    Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5
    Shut Up & Dance – Walk The Moon
    Vengaboys - Boom, Boom, Boom Boom!
    Vance Joy – Riptipe
    Zedd – Stay The Night
    The Birdie Song / Cha Cha Slide / Hokey Pokey / The Conga / Grease Megamix / Macarena / Wagon Wheel / Jive Bunny / The Hucklebuck

ALSO on the blacklist, all songs by:

- Ed Sheeran, Nathan Carter
    - Mumford & Sons, Foster The People, Lumineers, Vance Joy, Benjamin Booker, Of Monsters Of Men & any contemporary faux-folk acts who peddle nauseating neo-feelgood acoustic hippy noodling which are used to soundtrack ads for faceless multinational corporations
    - Ellie Goulding, The 1975, Twenty-One Pilots
    - The Coronas, James Blunt,
    - Delorentos, The Duke Special, Elb*w
    - Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Rita Ora
    - One Direction, One Republic, Harry Styles
    - Michael Buble, Mary Byrne
    - Boyce Avenue, Jon Bellion, MO, Paramore, Ryan Weaver
    - Most songs which have whistling in them

- Aslan, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetics
    - Halsey, Troye Sivan, Lorde, HAIM
    - Paolo Nutini, Shut Up & Dance, Kid Cudi, The Chainsmokers
    - Above & Beyond, Kasabian, Jake Bugg
    - Olly Murs, Emeli Sande, Maroon 5
    - Pink, Flo Rida
    - ‘EDM’ type stuff….
    …which is to say the likes of David Guetta, Tiesto, Skrillex,
    … also Avicii, deadmau5, Rudimental, Swedish House Mafia, Steve Aoki

- Kodaline, The Script, The Coronas (yes, I know that they’re on the list twice, but just to be sure)
    - Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Coldplay (except for ‘Yellow’… perhaps, or the one where they ripped off the Arcade Fire)
    - Meatloaf, Shania Twain, John Newman, Meghan Trainor, Counting Crows
    - Billie Ray Cyrus, Miley Ray Cyrus
    - Everything that U2 recorded after Zooropa
    - Imagine Dragons, Nickelback
    - All Eurovision songs bar ABBA and Johnny Logan’s ‘What’s Another Year’
    - Those X-Factor or ‘reality’ TV style song shows

- Pittbull, Ke$ha,
    - Pittbull feat. Ke$ha
    - Most Calvin Harris
    - The Very Best Of Copperface Jack’s
    - Now That’s What I Call Rural Ireland Disco Anthems - the likes of Marty Mone (‘Hit The Diff’ / ‘Slip The Clutch’ ), Richie Kavanagh (‘Aon Focal Eile’ / ‘Did You Ever Get A Ride On A Tractor?’), ’Fields Of Athenry’, ‘Hills Of Donegal (can make an exception for Larry Levan’s ‘Paradise Garage’ Edit), Joe Dolan (bar ‘Good Looking Woman’, which I’ll play if there are loads of silver-headed disco dancers looking for a fix), The Saw Doctors etc.
    - The Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly
    - Rebel songs
    - Most trad & diddley-aye
    - Songs that are on heavy rotation at commercial radio stations such as iRadio & Spin
    - National anthems
    - Ireland’s Call"

+++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Actually, I can't he he! Think I must have blocked that out!

3. There, I've said it!

4. Close the thread, job done!

Rooneyboy and TrendyMüller like this.
  5. Oh god.

I used to work in a school when this was out, and they played this over the PA system at the end of recess/lunch time regularly. I otherwise wouldn't have heard it though, so impervious is the rock I live under with current music, and thankfully I haven't heard or thought about it in years. But it is awful.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  6. Couldn't agree with you more there! Personally I find all the singles from the same album, very overrated and annoying.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  7. 2014 was one of the worst times as a music fan. It gave us the year of the awful megahits: "All About That Bass," "Fancy," "Shake It Off," "Anaconda," "Stay with Me," "Rude" and "I'm Not the Only One." Still hate all those songs to this day. Didn't like them the first time I heard it and I sure don't now.

8. This seems... excessive to say the least. I've never really understood the idea of DJ's refusing to play certain songs, like people have paid you to be there, so if they ask for something, you could at least do it. Why do weddings when you know that the majority of people are gonna request the pop songs you clearly hate?

9. Thank you, I agree.
    This guy has a "cool" brand to maintain.

10. Always annoyed me!

Joanie and lob0to like this.
  11. I can't even begin to imagine how this guy's name is pronounced, but aside from whodoeshethinkheis, I think he's just trying to make waves to get attention. Who needs a bloody dj for a wedding anyway, just pop on your iTunes and set it to shuffle.

Subspace88 likes this.
  12. This one will do

13. If/when I get married, I'm not hiring a DJ because I don't want my day spoilt with shite like I Gotta Feeling, Bad Romance, Fight For This Love etc. I'm doing my own playlist and my guests will have to deal.

14. You have good taste and sense there.

JMRGBY88 and UnionJackMix like this.
  15. Dancing Queen.

Joanie likes this.
  16. Thank you.

17. I heard Gangnam Style at a fireworks show the other day. It's been 5 bloody years, the song isn't even ironically fun anymore.

WhatKindOfKylie? and JMRGBY88 like this.
  18. It does not deserve to be remembered at all.

Though it serves a purpose as a very clear marker of "when Stevie became shit" - past that, only Part Time Lover is worth listening to...

19. Amen! Terrible song through and through I think personally.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  20. I'm a big Motown fan but I admit I never had any interest in his music. Never heard a song of his that I liked. I do know I Just Called because it was quite a sizeable hit when I was growing up.
    I also really don't like the songs he produced for The 70s Supremes.