PJOPS (Song Contest) 35/XXXV: PJBOPS - Voting Closed / List Up / Bonus Game Now / Results 6 PM GMT | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJOPS (Song Contest) 35/XXXV: PJBOPS - Voting Closed / List Up / Bonus Game Now / Results 6 PM GMT

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Nov 9, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Popjustice, you say? What’s that?

This is what happens when you let me take over, guys. Nobody has to ask where the bops are!

First things first—behold our new and improved website logo courtesy of noted bop enthusiast and iconic poster @WhenTheSunGoesDown. Then, once you’re done, read the rules below!

THE RULES

Here’s a quick recap of how you play this game:

Basically a competition of obscure songs from the ’90s, ’80s, ’70s, ’60s, ’50s, ’40s or earlier (if you can find a song from 1540 that fits the theme, go ahead and submit it!) If you have a song you’d like us all to hear, now’s the time to do it – everyone who submits a song will vote on the other songs submitted. Here’s a run-down of how it works:

1. PM your entry to me with a link to it on a platform that will allow us all to be able to listen to it (YouTube, Vimeo and Dailymotion are all good starting points).

2. Keep your fingers crossed that the veto panel doesn't reject your entry. If your song is vetoed, return to step 1 and try again.

3. Once the song list is posted, listen to all the songs and decide on your top 10 in order. Award points to these in a Eurovision-style fashion (i.e. 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points, with 12 points going to your favourite song) and PM me your scores. You only need to send through the top 10. Anything that doesn’t make your top 10 will automatically get a zero.

4. Log in for the reveal and find out whether your song flops or smashes!

Here’s what you can enter:

1. The song must have been released before 01.01.2000.

2. The song must not be by a huge act that we discuss a lot on the forum (so no Madonna deep cuts, please – although you could get away with a Vanessa Williams deep cut) and it must not be a song that was well-known or a major hit (so please don’t submit the Macarena just because Los Del Rio doesn’t have its own thread). Click here for list of previous entries to give you an idea.

And for this particular round, in keeping with our PJBOPS theme, we have one additional entry requirement—send me BOPS! And only bops!

What I mean by bops is anything you want (that complies with the usual PJOPS rules above, obvs), as long as it’s relatively uptempo!

Now, clearly, there’s no real objective criteria for what constitutes a bop or an uptempo song. I’m not going to make it hard and set a minimum BPM or whatever. This is a theme that can be interpreted somewhat broadly, and that we can all have a lot of fun with! Just don’t be that one person who stretches it past its limits and sends me something that could practically be a ballad. But you wouldn’t, right?

THE DATES

Submission: Wednesday November 8 – Sunday November 19 (11:59 PM GMT)
    Voting: Monday November 20 – Friday December 15 (11:59 PM GMT)
    Results: Saturday December 16

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    2014, GimmeWork, soratami and 6 others like this.
  2. THE BOPS

Tina - Crazy For You
    David Allan Coe - Fuck Anita Bryant
    Harriet - Temple of Love
    The Tuesdays - It's Up To You (Alternate Link)
    Blümchen - Herz an Herz
    Rene & Angela - Save Your Love (For #1)
    Dance Hall Crashers - I Want It All
    Northside - Take 5
    Indra - Anywhere
    Fancy - Lady of Ice
    The Other Ones - Holiday
    Denise Lopez - Don't You Wanna Be Mine
    Technique - Sun Is Shining
    The Belle Stars - World Domination
    The Flirts - You and Me
    Merril Bainbridge - Spinning
    Candi - Under Your Spell
    Koo De Tah - Too Young For Promises
    Aleesha Rome - Search My Heaven
    Yellow Magic Orchestra - Rydeen
    Rita Pavone - Il Geghegè
    Shriekback - Nemesis
    Gary U.S. Bonds - Out of Work
    Stacy Earl - Romeo & Juliet (ft. The Wild Pair)
    Lara Fabian - I Am Who I Am
    Susumu Hirasawa - Forces
    CB Milton - It's a Loving Thing
    Kitty-N - Bust-A-Groove
    Vitamin C - Not That Kind of Girl
    Lois Lane - It's the First Time
    The KLF - Kylie Said to Jason
    J.K. - My Radio (Stay In Tune Radio Edit)
    Eiffel 65 - Silicon World
    For Real - Like I Do
    Til Tuesday - No More Crying
    Toy-Box - Tarzan & Jane
    Steps Ahead - Magnetic Love
    Biddu featuring Nazia Hassan - Boom Boom
    Jennifer Cihi - The Power of Love
    Raffaella Carrà - 1, 2, 3, 4 Dancing

THE PLAYLIST

(Thank you @londonrain!)

Not on Spotify:

Tina - Crazy For You
    David Allan Coe - Fuck Anita Bryant
    Harriet - Temple of Love
    The Tuesdays - It's Up To You (Alternate Link)
    Indra - Anywhere
    Denise Lopez - Don't You Wanna Be Mine
    Technique - Sun Is Shining
    The Belle Stars - World Domination
    Candi - Under Your Spell
    Koo De Tah - Too Young For Promises
    Stacy Earl - Romeo & Juliet (ft. The Wild Pair)
    Susumu Hirasawa - Forces
    Kitty-N - Bust-A-Groove
    Lois Lane - It's the First Time
    Jennifer Cihi - The Power of Love
    Raffaella Carrà - 1, 2, 3, 4 Dancing

(Also, there should be 24 songs on the Spotify playlist. If not, then some of them have been blocked in your country and you need to figure out what they are!)

THE VOTING

Send me your votes in a private message (i.e. conversation) by Friday, December 15th at 11:59 PM GMT!

(If you don't know how to vote, click the "What is PJOPS?" button in the first post!)

THE FUN STUFF

I did this when I hosted my first PJSC nearly two years ago, and I wouldn’t miss the chance to do it here! It has a way of making everyone happy, and I think we could use some serious PJOPS reminiscing!

So, when you send your votes in, pretty please do the following:

1. Choose a past PJOPS entry to present your votes. Not a winner (come on, they get their own rate) and not your own (come on), but otherwise, anything is fair game!

2. Tell us why you heart it—and who entered it, of course, so we can all stan!

Maybe it’s your PJOPS fave forever. Maybe we’ve all forgotten it and you think we need it in our lives again. Maybe you’re just bitter because you totally would’ve submitted that one perfect song if somebody else hadn’t taken it ages ago.

Once again, the list of past entries is here. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Filippa, GimmeWork, soratami and 6 others like this.
  3. I already know which entry will be going in with my votes.

(If @WowWowWowWow and I pick the same song, do we have to go back and pick something else?)

iheartpoptarts and WowWowWowWow like this.
  4. I think I have something.

iheartpoptarts and londonrain like this.
  5. It can be your night. Everything is gonna be alright.

6. Ray

Ray

Sent. Finally can close the tabs.

7. No, no, I’m sure there are plenty of flop R&B entries I can send instead. I’d feel bad depriving you of that song.

8. [​IMG]

9. Ray

Ray

@londonrain, I'm going to start posting Bjönica more often, I hope you don't get too triggered.

But I'm also considering making Jon Bonnica, Phil Collinsnica and Bononica for variety. Which would you like best? I'd do @Jeffonica, but the angle is wrong.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

Wait, what is a Bononica?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    iheartpoptarts likes this.
  11. Ray

Ray

[​IMG]
    #soon

iheartpoptarts and Eric Generic like this.
  12. [​IMG]

(Why can't you go and do this with U2 stan @Sprockrooster's avi and leave poor Monica alone?)

13. Ray

Ray

(Because you complained you need more photos of Monica from this session and I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP)

14. That wasn't me. That was @WowWowWowWow.

In other news: I'd just like to remind everyone that Monica actually appeared in PJOPS 14 and came twelfth with "Sideline Ho" (thanks to @chanex and what must have been a very accommodating veto panel). Queen of mid-table PJOPS finishes.

(I know @chanex loves this song but I don't think it's one of Monica's better moments, to be honest. From that era, give me Why Her? any day for midtempo boppery and less problematic gender politics.)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  15. Ray

Ray

I think that screenshot from "Why Her" would go with Bono's face PERFECTLY.

16. That was the actual album cover.

[​IMG]

Queen of using fake rope creatively.

iheartpoptarts, Ray and Eric Generic like this.
  17. Submitted.

If I make it past veto, I think my entry will either do really well or else flop on its arse.

18. Ha! You're too kind, but I think I need to challenge myself to look for something other than my favorite song of all time.

*sends Colour of Love*

iheartpoptarts, Ray and londonrain like this.
  19. I'm ready.

So, is Monica this contest's subtheme?

[​IMG]