PJOPS (song contest) 36: We have a winner - congrats Corgix3 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJOPS (song contest) 36: We have a winner - congrats Corgix3

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by invertedbutterfly, Jan 2, 2018.

1. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Moderator

Howdy lovely people!

It's time for a new round of yer favourite oldies (pre-shit) song contest, the ever cantankerous PJOPS!

I am your host for this round, and can now (finally!) reveal that the theme this time around is story songs (or songs that tell a story).

As ever, I'm of a mind to be inclusive rather than exclusive when it comes to themes (I always want themes to be encouraging springboards, not restrictive millstones!), so I shan't be restricting it to folk ballads or minstrel's tales. But I would really like it if you could find an entry that tells a story within its lyrics.

I realise there might be some confusion as to exactly what constitutes a 'story'. So here is an example. A song whose lyrics read "I love you, you love me, ha ha, hee hee" might be cool and all, but it doesn't really tell a story. A song which depicts in its lyrics the first meeting with the beloved, and their eventual murder - that's a story (but yeah, 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' would be an automatic veto, yo).

Basically, I'd advise you to enter something, and if I think it doesn't fit the theme, I'll get back to you and you can try to convince me. If you're entering something in a language other than English - first, yay! - second, please do give me some idea of what story the song tells when you enter it, so it isn't just me and Google translate trying to make sense of it.

Normal rules of course apply - your entry must have been released on or before 31st December 1999. If the artist is a really big deal, you are likely to be vetoed. If the song was a top 20 hit in the UK or US, or is otherwise very well known, you are likely to be vetoed. You will also be vetoed if your song has been entered before, but don't worry - you can consult this handy spreadsheet to check! If you try to circumvent any of these rules you will be punished I will be very sad.

The process (stolen from @iheartpoptarts' previous round, as it's really nicely phrased!):

1. PM your entry to me with a link to it on a platform that will allow us all to be able to listen to it (YouTube, Vimeo and Dailymotion are all good starting points).

2. Keep your fingers crossed that the veto panel doesn't reject your entry. If your song is vetoed [I will let you know via PM], return to step 1 and try again.

3. Once the song list is posted, listen to all the songs and decide on your top 10 in order. Award points to these in a Eurovision-style fashion (i.e. 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points, with 12 points going to your favourite song) and PM me your scores. You only need to send through the top 10. Anything that doesn’t make your top 10 will automatically get a zero.

4. Log in for the reveal and find out whether your song flops or smashes!

Feel free to provide commentary, if you so desire!

I'm thinking of 23:59 GMT Friday 19th January as the deadline for getting your entries in, although this might end up being flexible - if anyone already knows they'll need more time, let me know! Then a couple of weeks for you to get your scores in takes us to Friday 2nd February, and maybe the reveal that weekend? We'll see how it goes, and I'll update the title of the thread when it's all settled, and update it to give you reminders.

Really looking forward to hearing your entries, and I hope you have fun!

EDIT - Deadline for entries is 23:59 GMT Sunday 21st January.
    EDIT 2 - Deadline for votes is 23:59 GMT Saturday 17th February.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. invertedbutterfly

The songs:

Victoria Williams - Crazy Mary
    Belvedere Kane - Never Felt As Good
    Mecano - Hijo de la Luna
    Townes van Zandt - Waitin' Around To Die
    Patti Smith - Frederick
    Anthony & The Johnsons - Cripple and the Starfish
    Jocelyn Enriquez - Do You Miss Me
    Joni Mitchell - Cherokee Louise
    Robert Wyatt - Heaps of Sheeps
    Thunderpussy – International Adventure
    The Psychadelic Furs - Love My Way
    Strawpeople - Trick with a Knife
    Valerie Dore - King Arthur
    Diana King - L-L-Lies
    Tight Fit - Undecided
    Pansy Division - Dick of Death
    Breathe - All That Jazz
    US3 - Eleven Long Years
    Basia – My Cruel Ways
    Pondlife - Misty Mountain Hop
    Trans-X - Message on the Radio
    Richard & Linda Thompson - The Great Valerio
    David Charvet - Should I Leave
    Tracie Spencer - Symptoms Of True Love
    Chicken Wire - The Pernice Brothers
    Ivy - Baker
    Suzy Bogguss - Hey Cinderella
    Tanya Tucker - Blood Red & Going Down
    Maria McKee - Life is Sweet
    The Poppy Family - There's No Blood In Bone
    Tiggy - Ring a Ling
    My Life Story - 12 Reasons Why I Love Her
    Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner
    The Hello People - Mad Red Ant Lady
    Harry Belafonte - Did You Hear About Jerry?
    Wendy James - Do You Know What I'm Saying

Do please remember you shouldn't just listen to the Spotify playlist and ignore the songs that aren't on Spotify - that would be unfair, unsporting, and I will curse you with mouldy frogs.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. invertedbutterfly

4. invertedbutterfly

5. [​IMG]
    Ray, londonrain, Filippa and 7 others like this.
  6. [​IMG]
  7. First entry sent with backup. No doubt tomorrow I'll be regretting my choices, but the most memorable story songs that first came to mind would be instant vetos.
    Zar-Unity likes this.
  8. Ooohh, interesting theme this round! I think I'll be sticking around for this one. I got just the song in mind already.

I have a special fondness for pop songs that tell a story in their lyrics.

Nice job on the theme coverart @invertedbutterfly !
  9. Now this is a story all about how...
    londonrain, br0dy, Jeffo and 5 others like this.
  10. My chosen song seems on theme, let's see if it pass veto!
    londonrain likes this.
  11. Oooh, good theme... Especially since the song I was thinking of entering fits it quite nicely!
  12. For once, I have the perfect song for this theme!
  13. I bet everybody's wishing they had saved their musical songs now!
    Sprockrooster and londonrain like this.
  14. invertedbutterfly

Wow, people are quick these days, aren't they? It wasn't like this last time I hosted! Thanks to everyone who's already PM'd me!

So who is the veto panel right now? And I seem to remember the method has changed - last time I did this it was by email, but I think someone said it's all by PM now?
    Zar-Unity, Filippa, Oleander and 2 others like this.
  15. Emergency paging Doctor Beat (@Mina), emergency!

ohnoitisnathan and londonrain like this.
  16. I don't know the logistics of the veto panel but you can create PM conversations with multiple users now.
    Eric Generic likes this.
  17. That is one stunning PJOPS banner!

As for the veto panel, if @londonrain really is okay with me re-taking my place at their expense, that'll mean it's pretty much back to the old-timers... @KamikazeHeart , @Baby Clyde , yourself and me!
  18. Story songs....hmmm....

19. Pretty sure @londonrain confirmed he were fine with that, so welcome back, @ericgeneric (cat person!) :D
    londonrain and Eric Generic like this.
  20. My resignation from the veto panel was quite permanent actually! And just in time to host a PJSC it seems!
    berserkboi and Eric Generic like this.