Popjustice Advent Calendar 2017 - GET WRITING! | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popjustice Advent Calendar 2017 - GET WRITING!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by NecessaryVoodoo, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nice to see the Beck mention, deserved a much better reception. It's a really solid pop album and it sucks that most people here probably won't give it a chance since he stole Beyoncé's Grammy.

PS I think you'd be really into the Will Joseph Cook album @2014, not as polished as Colors but still has that hook filled guitar pop sound. (Plastic, Alive and Treat Me Like A Lover are my favs)

NecessaryVoodoo and 2014 like this.
  2. Fuck me for missing this. I hope someone does Number 1 Angel justice!

Posh Spears likes this.
  3. OK but now I'm imagining you and Nessy having a

[​IMG]

kind of dynamic going on behind the scenes.

4. Dddd actually we're pretty harmonious as co-hosting gigs go in this fuschia purgatory. As long as @2014 continues to do what I tell him to, that is.

[​IMG]

5. I mean do you think I’ve started either?

KingBruno, R92, Kuhleezi and 2 others like this.
  6. Three very different, but equally brilliant albums as part of today's:

[​IMG]
    PART THREE

BETSY - BETSY

[​IMG]
    Chosen by @Island

Sounding like a long lost sequel to Cher's Living Proof, there's very little subtle about BETSY's debut album of pop bangers. While her voice is going to be one you either love or hate--firmly the former option for myself btw--it's hard not to get swept up in the unashamed campy drama of it all. You get the sneaking suspicion that wherever BETSY goes, one of those big fuck-off wind machines from Eurovision and a couple of yards of chiffon are never far away.

Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory

[​IMG]
    Chosen by @Mushroom

Critically acclaimed for its fusing of spiky club-ready beats to Vince Staples' frequently gloomy lyrics, Big Fish Theory turned out to be one of the most intriguing hip hop releases of the year. In an album filled with unexpected sounds and samples, even the appearance of Damon Albarn and Ray J on Love Can Be... can't spoil proceedings.

Lydia Ainsworth - Darling Of The Afterglow

[​IMG]
    Chosen by @Kuhleezi

There's still the waft of essential oils, weekend meditation retreats and healing crystals to Lydia Ainsworth's second album Darling of the Afterglow but this time delivered in a more confident, richer sounding package. A stronger collection of witchy Kate Bush-indebted pop you won't find this year (just skip the unnecessary cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 1:31 AM
  7. I'd never heard of Lydia Ainsworth but anything labelled "witchy Kate Bush-indebted pop" immediately has my approval. Loved the video and song you posted, will have to check out more!

Kuhleezi and constantino like this.
  8. I started.

By quoting some lyrics and then I stopped.

R92, KingBruno, Sprockrooster and 7 others like this.
  9. CASUAL REMINDER that 'The Road' is competing in the extras section for the Indie-ish Girls Rate 2017, of which less than 5 weeks remain for voting. xx

10. [​IMG]

11. Oops, I forgot how shitty I am at writing.

12. Big Fish Theory! Nice! I loved that album, one of the year's best hip-hop releases (only Kendrick and Tyler can really compete in my opinion).

Well, back to not writing my review, then.

ohnostalgia and londonrain like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Moderator

3 more!

[​IMG]

PART FOUR

LONDON GRAMMAR - TRUTH IS A BEAUTIFUL THING

[​IMG]

Chosen by @beyoncésweave

This British trio followed their highly successful debut with this collection of chillingly haunting songs, with everything on a much bigger, grander scale than ever before. Oh Woman Oh Man is a spine-tingling, rousing number which could be one of their best ever, while Bones Of Ribbon and Everyone Else are other highlights, but lead singer Hannah could sing anything I'd be here for it - this album is a beautiful thing.

HURTS - DESIRE

[​IMG]

Chosen by @londonrain

Already on their 4th studio album, this delectable duo seem to have found their niche and are really making it work for them, providing us with their best effort since their debut. The run of the first 3 tracks in particular is hard to beat, but Wait Up is another stellar pick. Though there's nothing groundbreaking to be found here, sometimes an ok album is just enough (it also features some writing credits from a certain David Sneddon, kii).

THE XX - I SEE YOU

[​IMG]

Chosen by @Trouble in Paradise

Released practically at the beginning of the year, The XX's 3rd effort has held up remarkably well and was a brilliant return to form after the disappointingly safe Coexist. Led by killer track On Hold, the album sees our 3 stars exploring multiple avenues of love and devotion, with Say Something Loving and Brave For You showcasing their vocals in the best way. Opening track Dangerous still leaves me bald (they had no right springing that out from nowhere!) But I Dare You is quite possibly the crown jewel here, the whole record is just very, very good.

14. I literally stopped listening to the extras after George Maple so I could go listen to the rest of her album.... clearly need to go finish listening before I get called out again

Kuhleezi, 2014, constantino and 2 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Kuhleezi, constantino and ohnostalgia like this.
  16. Last batch for me in today's:

[​IMG]
    PART FIVE

Austra - Future Politics

[​IMG]
    Chosen by me! (@2014 got THREE choices OK let me have this)

Austra's third album Future Politics was released at the very start of the year and I think as 2017 has rolled by, it's kind of been forgotten about a bit (also guilty of this myself) which is sad as it's a great album. With the synths more crystalline and beats more thumping than ever, it's still Katie Stelmanis' arresting vocals that make Austra's music.

Ulver - The Assassination of Julius Caesar

[​IMG]
    Chosen by @Ironheade

Not going to lie, when I saw the words "experimental metal collective" on Ulver's Wiki, I almost left this one for @2014 to struggle through. However, on the page for their eleventh album The Assassination of Julius Caesar, it has: synthpop, new wave and electronic dance music listed as genres. Now this is something more up my alley. Really poetic lyrics and gorgeous male vocals (you read that right) matched to Depeche Mode-y soundscapes. I think this is my discovery of the advent calendar this year.

Sevdaliza - ISON

[​IMG]
    Chosen by @A&E

As with Niia's I, Sevdaliza's debut album has felt like a long time in the making. Like a torch singer taking cues from contemporary alternative R&B and 90's trip hop yet not sounding very much like either, ISON is as much an experience as it is an album. One of my favourite releases of the year, yet very hard for me to actually articulate why in depth (truth be told, I just don't have the range), I'm reminded of feeling the exact same way about FKA twigs' LP1 --back in 2014 *sob*--which ISON definitely shares DNA with.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    R92, Number, Kuhleezi and 11 others like this.
  17. Yay!

@NecessaryVoodoo Ulver... is an interesting case; they started out as a black metal band (an amazing one too), but they haven't done anything you could remotely call "metal" since the new millennium. Essentially, they just play whatever kind of music Kristoffer Rygg and his cohorts feel like - they've done industrial, trip hop, ambient, neoclassical... and almost all of them amazingly, too. Truly a one of a kind outfit.

18. Drafted...

londonrain and ohnostalgia like this.
  19. I am actually start to wonder of my suggestions are not presented in the roundup above because they actually got picked? Or maybe too damn niche after all, even for making a bubbling under.

londonrain likes this.
  20. Yes I am actually reviewing @Mina ‘s submission. It’s happening.

Meanwhile I added another quote to my review. Still no actual words of my own.