PopJustice Book Club | Page 79 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

popprincess and kmn04 like this.
  2. I just picked up Never Let Me Go at a used bookstore and am super eager to dig in. I've never read anything by him, but looks like he has quite a few gems.
    kmn04 likes this.
  3. Never Let Me Go is great, as is Remains of the Day. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!
    bakerboy92 likes this.
  4. This looks fun.
    ManilaChinchilla likes this.
  5. He

I finished reading Call Me By Your Name a couple of days ago, and it hasn't not left my mind since. I'm still stunned / heartbroken.
  6. It’s 3:07 and I’ve just come home from a terrible club and it’s quite sad but the thing I’m most looking forward to in my life right now is finishing The Amber Spyglass tomorrow.
    LTG, beyoncésweave and soratami like this.
  7. LTG

Did you enjoy the ending?
  8. I'm halfway through Mark Manson's "The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F***." It's ASEAN summit in my part of the world, so I have a free week to just read stuff not related to school. Honestly, it's one of the best books I've read so far, and I'm so happy it was recommended to me.
    Terminus likes this.
  9. Sing, Unburied, Sing won the National Book Award last night.

That’s two black people winning it in a row with The Underground Railroad last year!
    And this year the finalists were basically all POC authors with Pachinko, The Leavers and Her Body and Other Parties.
    Someboy and Terminus like this.
  10. Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  11. So excited to read Lincoln in the Bardo.
  12. LTG

Goodreads awards are never going to reward actually the best books of the year, because you need to have had a certain number of people read your book before voting. Also who has time to read a representative sample of books that come out in a certain year to actually have a valid opinion over which are the best. It just becomes whoever has the biggest stanbase wins.
    Island and Mina like this.
  13. Sure, but it's still curious how many books that pop up in longlists and shortlists in many literary prizes pop up here as well.

I'm mostly surprised at those that took the crowns/podiums.

I had guessed it's mostly about the hype that a book causes.
    That's why I expected The Ministry to be much higher, since it was everywhere with the whole "Booker prize winner is back after 20 years!!" ads, but it's at 15th!?
    Same goes with Exit West, so timely published during the refugee crisis, getting to 6th.

And yet, the most voted one is Little Fires Everywhere, which I have barely heard of before.
    Second one is Bear Town, which is a ????? from me.
    And third is a debut novel that I know because it's shortlisted for the Costa.

So... either there is a very big Goodreads community that want to push for one of those Goodreads authors or the books are actually popular (where tho?).

Also, the Top 5 in Fiction (and 5 non-fiction) according to The New York Times:

- Autumn, by Ali Smith
    - Exit West, by Mohsim Hamid
    - Pachinko, Min Jin Lee
    - The Power, Naomi Alderman
    - Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward

ñeñeñeñeñeñeñe I've only read one
  14. Remember like 4 years ago when Goodreads used to be so lit that even the authors started rebelling?
  15. I just finished reading You Can't Spell America Without Me and even though it is purported to be written by Kurt Andersen and Alec Baldwin, I'm not convinced that they didn't "wiretapp" Trump and just print a transcript. They nailed Money Boo Boo's speech cadences, his favorite words, his trademark phrasing... well done guys.

Speaking of actor books, Tom Hanks has a collection of short stories out and the 2x Oscar winner is actually a pretty strong writer!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  16. Can I have some details on this? I never really used it myself.
  17. Basically since Goodreads is kind of known for their snarky reviews, authors would read them, get butt hurt, and comment on the reviews by attacking the reviewer. Sometimes authors of different books not associated with the one that got reviewed would get involved.

Here's some info on it:

And an author ended up stalking a reviewer one time based on an bad review.

And then people lashed out and called a bunch of reviewers bullies and a website called stopthegoodreadsbullies.com was made.The cite is defunct now but here's an explanation of it. http://stopthegrbullies.net/

It was lit.
    popprincess and soratami like this.
  18. ^ I remember reading all that drama a while ago.
    Island likes this.
  19. I'm currently on "Look At Me" by Jennifer Egan, and she just writes with a voice that I just can't put down.
    I don't think it'll beat A Visit From The Goon Squad (where is my limited run drama if that masterpiece), but it's going well.
    backstreetjoe likes this.
  20. My mother keeps giving me David Baldacci novels and I'm too polite to refuse. I need to stop reading them. They started poor and each subsequent one gets worse.
    Terminus likes this.