PopJustice Book Club | Page 84 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Has anyone picked up Children of Blood and Bone?

I just bought it and every single bookstore employee I ran into was raving about it.

DreamlessNights likes this.
  2. Last week I finished Call me by your name, it's been a while since a book has made me feel so many strong emotions.
    Steinbeck' Of mice and men is on my shelf. It's the first book that I read by this author and I don't know what to expect.

londonrain likes this.
  3. I have not read it yet but i’ve only been hearing amazing news about it. I’m so happy about the film news.

I’ve been reading What If It’s Us by Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli (author of Simon Vs. and others) and so far it is the sweetest thing.

4. Steinbeck is my favourite author, period. 'East of Eden' and 'The Grapes of Wrath' are the two blockbusters and definitely recommended, but 'Of Mice and Men' is a very good start.

codecat and dontkillmyvibe like this.
  5. LTG

LTG

I've just finished The House of Impossible Beauties by Joseph Cassara. It's a fictionalised account of the House of Xtravaganza, bits of the 80s New York scene and the AIDS crisis. Maybe slightly overlong but at times incredibly moving, and it really evokes the era.

6. Yes to East of Eden - I ADORE Cathy!

And his short stories are wonderful. Every story on The Pastures of Heaven is classic Steinbeck - lush landscapes with darkly humorous clouds over them. The Long Valley has some great ones as well.

7. I can't let go of A Little Life and keep on listening to Florence's St. Jude.

They fit so well together.

codecat likes this.
  8. I want to cry every time when I remember those freaking lemons. Never in my life have I cried so hard because of a book. Have you read her other novel, The People in The Trees? I adore A Little Life in all its ridiculous emotionalness, but it's on the first book that you fully understand how talented she is at refining cruelty. My fav problematic contemporary writer.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  9. It's on my to-read list. It sounds fascinating.

codecat likes this.
  10. It is! It's a "memoir" that sometimes reads as a beautiful National Geographic log, other times as the elegant rambles of a despicable man - the main characters are manipulative and plain bad, but they don't sound like parodies. You just know how awful or sad they are because it's all there...and if A Little Life excels at characterization, The People in The Trees excels in ambition.

11. I'm really conflicted on the book... On the one hand I know what she's trying to create, however I just feel towards the end the book just totally lost it, it just becomes melodramatic.

I think the thing I feel unnecessary is how she put Jude and Willem in a relationship. Hanya stated in every interview that the book is about friendships, and how friendships could be even stronger than romantic relationships. Since they had already got a strong friendship, what is the point of putting them in a relationship together? I feel like by putting them in a relationship, she's implying that only by putting them in a romantic relationship could Willem completely take care of Jude.

12. I'm reading this...

[​IMG]
    Don't judge me.

londonrain and Terminus like this.
  13. I almost finished Of mice and men and I really liked It, I will try some other books from the same author during summer, but in the next days I'll start To Kill a Mockingbird. I want to read since I saw Spencer reading it in the season 1 Of Pretty Little Liars.

14. But honey why.

I’m reading Tigerman by Nick Harkaway. It’s nice, very well written, interesting plot but... I’m just not that bothered. Anyone who likes Jonas Jonasson’s stuff will enjoy it. it is that same quirky-and-quaint-but-serious thing going on.

Holding to finish this this weekend and move onto A Little Life after all the discussion here.

15. Swing Time might be Zadie Smith's best book?

16. LTG

LTG

Having read White Teeth, Swing Time and NW, I think White Teeth would still have to be my favourite, but I really enjoyed all of them. In Swing Time, the bits in their youth are amazing but it gets kind of lost when the narrator goes to Unnamed African Country with the Madonna/Kylie hybrid.

17. I think the central relationship between the narrator and Tracey (and how their lives overlapped and diverged throughout the years) was compelling enough to smooth over the weaker plot elements. Swing Time felt like a compilation of all the best bits of her previous books (the grit of NW, the incisiveness of On Beauty, the slightly goofy energy of White Teeth) into one largely satisfying package.

LTG likes this.
  18. Because it has parts included that were in the original script, that didn't make the movie.

I'm reading Paul O'Grady's biography now.

19. I'm currently reading Carrie Brownstein's memoir after my Sleater-Kinney kick last week.

I'm about half way done, It's really good so far!

20. Has anyone read George Saunders' 'Lincoln In The Bardo'? Wow what a bizarre but brilliant book. How to even describe it. A zombie book about Abraham Lincoln's son stuck somewhere between life and death.