Pretty Little Liars | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty Little Liars

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mvnl, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

[​IMG]

Anyone else watched the pilot?
    4 girls with each their own little secret, and one big one they all share.
    A year ago a friend of theirs died and though we don't know what happened, they keep getting text-messages from her..

I don't know if this is going to turn out to be more like Desperate Housewives Junior, Veronica Mars or Gossip Girl but the first episode got me at least interested to see what's happening next (I do love me some seasonlong mysteries!).

2. I tried watching it but the constant angsty-folk-mediocre-songs that wouldn't stop playing under every scene started to piss me off so I didn't finish.

3. Didn't know this TV show existed until I saw the file, but I have read two of the books. The books are very Gossip Girl crossed with I know what you did last summer.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Oh I didn't realize there were books.. I guess if I wanted to spoiler myself what happened it wouldn't be too hard then..

5. Hmm, this sounds pretty good! I'm gonna check it out online; seems like an interesting concept.

6. Hi everyone! I am here on behalf of ABC Family and we’re really excited about Pretty Little Liars. I would love to hear your thoughts about the series as it progresses through the summer. As some of you mentioned, yes this series is based on Sara Shepard’s book series of the same name. It premiered last week, but just in case you missed it you can check it out the whole episode for free here. The second episode airs tonight @ 8/7c and I would love to hear your thoughts about it afterwards! Hope you enjoy it tonight! :)

http://abcfamily.go.com/watch/pretty-little-liars/SH5547476/VD5570542/pilot

7. I loved it so much but I was really excited for it anyway as I am onto the 5th book! I am kinda jealous of the tv viewers who havn't read the books as they are in for so many shocks and suprises! The girls who have been cast are brilliant!

8. I just watched the pilot - my first thought was that it looks a lot like the characters from the books in my imagination. Actually, my first thought was "hey, isn't that the younger sister from Privileged?" I'm happy Lucy Hale is one of the stars. I'm also happy that my beloved Holly Marie Combs is appearing in something worth watching.

The background music....isn't really background music. It's often quite loud, and appears to be used in place of dialogue in some points. The overall music selection is decent, but it's so intrusive it reminds me of how TV shows suddenly started overdoing the music the season after "Grey's Anatomy" started airing.

The actual plot and action are faithful to the book and well-paced. I'll keep watching for now even though I've read the first four books because it's executed nicely.

9. It is isn't it?

10. Yes, you can't keep that much talent down - Lucy Hale's in this, and Joanna Garcia got a few episodes of Gossip Girl and is in the pilot for a new series this autumn. Sometimes you have to trust that casting directors will do the right thing.

11. I liked the Pilot of this. It wasn't brilliant or anything but it was good enough to keep me watching, even if it was a pretty obvious attempt at a teenage Desperate Housewives meets Gossip Girl. I haven't got round to watching episode 2 yet.

It's nice that Holly Marie Combs and Tammin Sursok are getting work.

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Episode 2 was quite decent.
    I like that some things are moving faster than I'd expected, some things going on already I'd expect them to drag for the full season. (Especially the texting part.. I feared we'd get the girls being shocked by the texts every single episode without doing anything about it)

Does anyone who read the books know if they're staying true to them?
    Thusfar it does feel like a proper tv show that was written as one, which is of course a good thing.

13. Bah, can't watch it now - ABC have got their act together and are now blocking non-US viewers. I could try using a VPN, but seeing as Hulu can see right through that these days, I doubt it will work...

14. I watched the pilot and liked it. The plot's pretty intriguing, and even though it's on ABC 'Family' it doesn't seem too watered down or kiddy-fied, so that's a relief. It's definitely got that whole "Gossip Girl" meets "Desperate Housewives" for teens thing going, which is a nice mix. I like the sinister mood running through it.

15. At the moment it has been very true to the books, I read them over 2 years ago but I remember everything as it happens on the tv show!

16. I read somewhere that in the books, the main mystery over who A is isn't even solved in the first book so I'm guessing it will be absolutely ages before we get an answer for that. It will be interesting to see how they explain it though when they eventually get round to it. How can A possibly know what they're getting upto in their own homes?

17. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Thanks for the spoiler.

But hmm, I do sure hope they'll have a proper explanation for it somewhere down the line.

18. Its revealed at the end of the 4th book!