PSB2: Pet Shop Boys rate, 1993-2004. | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSB2: Pet Shop Boys rate, 1993-2004.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 11 decided. I have a feeling it'll be the only 11 it gets but I adore it.
    Ray likes this.
  2. Very has just got a brutal hammering.
    Ray and Eric Generic like this.
  3. Very get’s an average of 6.83, with a high of 9 (1 song, and def. not an obvios high scorer) and low of 5 (2 songs, both pretty obvious low scorers) …
    Eric Generic likes this.
  4. I'm down to three choices for my 11. One is a b-side.
    Riiiiiiiii and Ray like this.
  5. Ray

None of my 11 contenders is a single, by the way.
  6. I really can't make up my mind about my 11.

What I do know is that Very is going to get some serious praise from me. Hi-NRG heaven!
    etienne likes this.
  7. I had 3 potential 11's, two b-sides and one single.

I hesitated and then I chose the right direction.
  8. I think I'll join in on this, even though I missed the first one. I don't want Bilingual to be done wrong.
    Ray, DominoDancing and Riiiiiiiii like this.
  9. Electricity sure is a funny one isn’t it? I thought I hated it, but it’s been in my head all day.
  10. Can You Forgive Her? is such an immense bop. It would be my 10.5 in the rate if we were allowed one!
  11. Because it´s got the best effects since Disco Tex and his Sex-O-Lettes.
    Riiiiiiiii, Ray and OspreyQueen like this.
  12. Ray

Wait till I get to sharing my thoughts about 'Electricity'...
  13. Can we rate Home and Dry (Blank & Jones Remix)?

Because that would change everything!
  14. Ray

As always, any version you like! So it's not a separate entry, but you can award points to the Bland & Jones remix if you like.
    idratherjack likes this.
  15. Bland & Jones, how very dare you!

It's the best thing to come out of the entire Release era! But then I am partial to a spot of cheap trance...
    Ray and Riiiiiiiii like this.
  16. True, Home & Dry is one of my all time favorites by the boys. That one is so superior to the rest of the album.
    idratherjack likes this.
  17. My 11 will probably be my lowest ranking 11 ever but oh well. I've made my decision.
    Ray likes this.
  18. Ray

Bilingual is a curious record. It came with the responsibility of being a follow-up to Pet Shop Boys' only UK number one to date. Some fans wanted wistful doom and gloom. Some wanted 'Go West'. Some wanted catchy pop tunes with current production. Some 'Liberation', but updated. All got what they asked for, and then some... largely sounding like 'Domino Dancing'.

The opening section of 'Discoteca'/'Single' SMASHED me, tore all my hair off, and I've been bald since then. Well. I've been bald until 'Electricity' came off, and turned me into Chewbacca. While I've never been a huge fan of Very, there's nothing on it that I would skip. 'Electricity' was the first Pet Shop Boys track I just couldn't with, even though it inspired Madonna to record MDNA while having a cold just like Neil, the original queen of non-life threatening respiratory problems. But I didn't know the monstrosity awaiting me just a few minutes later: 'A red letter day'. The Russian take on 'Go West' just didn't gel with me, to put it extremely mildly. It took the Motiv-8 single mix and the fantastic video for me to stop actively hating everything about it.

I know that 'Before' is rather controversial among y'all. I've always loved it, and still do. My first CD ever was the European 'Before' remix CD, and quite soon after I bought the EP of 'A red letter day'. I remember the UK chart rules were about to change, and I spilled a lot of tears online about impending death of four-track EPs with two b-sides. Nobody listened. Everybody cried when it happened. Yes. This is my claim to fame as a person who could briefly see the future, but didn't use that knowledge to pick lottery numbers. I've also thought that buying tons of CDs was a very smart investment. (Hi @Eric Generic.)

It was the first time that I had friends working at a record store where I would hang out, and they kept everything for me. I had the hanging promo thing; a frosted sticker to put on the window (I didn't, and lost it, which is awful); a press release quoting 'It always comes as a surprise' as upcoming fifth single from the album. And the b-sides were all stellar, even if some of them didn't age so well. The 'A red letter day' double CD + vinyl in particular were incredible value for money, even though the chart run was #9 -> #41 – a predictor of (miserable) things to come. I was a very happy fan, despite the unsettling fact my version of Bilingual was essentially a ten-tracker. It wasn't the iTunes playlist time yet, otherwise it would be an 18-tracker with the b-sides, out of which only 'Confidential (demo for Tina)' didn't feel essential. The new Latino Shop Boys felt great. 'Before' and 'Se a vida é' received saturation airplay on TV and radio (I was shocked when 'Single' and 'A red letter day' didn't, and I don't understand the sudden drop until today – does anybody know?) Neil's voice in some songs sounds better than it ever did before. In particular 'It always comes a surprise' sounds like a hug on a Sunday afternoon in July. I never understood why 'Saturday night forever' is so disliked – I love closing the album with it, and the unreleased single mix has been rocking my world ever since I got my hands on it.

A lot relied on Bilingual, and maybe that's why despite attempts at having coherent sound it just...isn't. The B side of the record in particular has some weird sequencing; 'Go West (Reductive version)' is followed by a really good Electronic track, then a bland ballad (as good as lyrics are, 'The survivors' is the son of 'To speak is a sin', and leather daddy of 'E-mail'), then by three dance songs which just drop the Latino sound. The choice of 'Single' over 'Discoteca (new version)' as a single was very clearly dictated by its title, only to have it changed because EBTG got there first, rendering the whole exercise useless except for giving us that wonderful video. 'Electricity' just sticks out like a sore thumb, because when I say Neil's voice sounds great on some songs this one is not one of them. It feels like a record that tries to be a lot of things, and mostly succeeds, except when it doesn't, and I don't really have a better description for it.
  19. Bilingual is my favourite PSB album. There. I said it.
    Ray and OspreyQueen like this.
  20. Mine too. I find it pins down a very specific kind...bittersweetness. There are definitely moments of darkness and contemplation, but ultimately the album is optimistic and sunny. It's especially nice to listen to when you're feeling a bit shit on a summer's day.

(Electricity is of course completely excluded from all of this)
    DominoDancing and Ray like this.