PWR BTTM - Answer My Text | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWR BTTM - Answer My Text

Discussion in 'Potential next big things' started by Vasilios, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Either way the fact that the repercussion to their supposed crime (not saying it's not true, but as far as I know it hasn't been proven) is their immediate shut down and removal from all stores, websites, media platforms and so on is like something straight out of Sci fi. I don't think a similar thing had ever occurred before.

Charmander likes this.
  2. It is bizarre how quickly things have happened! To echo what other's have said, I'm not insinuating nothing happened, based on how quickly the cards have fallen there has to be something behind the scenes that we are not yet aware of. But it's still staggering that there isn't even a case filed yet and they've gotten the axe.

ephemeralartery likes this.
  3. Is there going to be a legal case filed? I think much of this is based on the assumption that whatever Ben did, there isn't legal recourse available and so the court of public opinion will have to do.

(Or, possibly no one involved is comfortable with the possibility of sending a gender-non-conforming person through the American prison system? Could be part of it.)

mattyjayy likes this.
  4. It's really quite shocking to see everything being moved and deleted so quickly, but at the same time when we think that the foundation of the band was about creating safe spaces, being gender and body positive, and giving voices to minorities - all of it just crumbled with the accusations (and the very mild responses the band fueled it even further I think).

The difference from a regular act (say Chris Brown) is that their whole artistic personna is not about being an LGBTQ angel. And PWR BTTM was about that, and then they weren't.

(by the way, this is of course not me condoning Chris Brown, Swans or Dr Luke, all of which I want to see wiped out of the music industry as fast as we can say "Arca rules". It's just they have fan bases - and labels - that are more lenient to bigotry, while the queer scene fortunately is not).

VivaForever likes this.
  5. None of this makes me feel more comfortable about them or about the way people with a financial interest in them reacted to the news. Both the band and the record labels still have a lot to answer for.

6. At the time we thought it was the right thing to do. We now see that we were putting the onus on others to do something that only works if it is what they want. We have concluded that there is no viable way to do what we were trying to accomplish, with the result that we are going to shut that email address down (we have not and will not look at any emails that may have been sent there to date).

Er...what's the point of all that then?

7. That's the weirdest part of the whole statement! What if some people DID want to engage and resolve issues? It all seems a bit "we thought it was the right thing to do to save our career but now we've lost everything what's the point"...

Leopold likes this.
  8. More like, "We triiiiiiiied. Fuck you."

willyeverman and Leopold like this.