Random Pop Thoughts | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Pop Thoughts

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Mar 21, 2011.

1. RJF

RJF

I have no idea if this will lift off or not, and moderators can feel free to move/lock it if they wish, but I thought I would give this a go anyway.

Basically, a lot of the time in a certain artist's thread, we end up talking about issues that are more about pop music as a whole rather than that specific artist. As such, other artists and other variables are brought into the conversation and it all goes horribly off-topic and we forget why we even came into the thread in the first place. So this is basically a thread where things that apply to all of pop, or just random miscellaneous music things that don't fit anywhere, can be discussed.

To get the ball rolling: This is been a trend that's developed over the last few years especially, but I am getting increasingly tired of artists releasing videos a ridiculous amount of time after the release of the song they're attempting to promote. I mean, you currently have Britney only just shooting her video despite the fact her single seemed to have peaked last week, you have Katy Perry's video coming out on the last day of the month despite "E.T." needing more promotion internationally (And needing that final push to reach No.1 in the US.), and even Lady GaGa's "Born This Way", which was out a week after the song premiered, felt a little tacked on. Are videos becoming less important to record labels and artists, or are they becoming less important in general? "Discuss".

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  2. Oh...this is gonna be bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  3. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It's a fine idea, but Lists & Charts.

4. I miss a good Pop video, especially in Western pop.

I guess because piracy is so high now, they don't really like to spend too much on a video, and are less likely to take risks in case of a flop. And for popular artists, I guess the label's just think the music can self itself these days, with iTunes and whatnot.

Another Random Pop Thought: Where is the dancing in Western Pop?! I see it all the time in K-pop, etc. It seems to have died out with bubblegum pop over here. The only dancers I can think of at the moment are Beyonce and Ciara.. We need some new ones!

Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry. They can't dance for shit.

5. And videos are simply less important in general, especially for American artists. In America, music videos aren't even played on television unless you have one of those special all-music-video channels you have to order. I'm honestly shocked they still spend the amount of money they do on videos. Youtube isn't a viable replacement, either, because you have to consciously go to it yourself. It's not really promoting anything because it's mostly fans that view music videos on Youtube.

6. RJF

RJF

I'd say it is still an important part of promo in countries that don't count radioplay into their chart. Perhaps it's just because I've been brought up here, but for me, I don't really feel like a single has properly taken off until I've seen it on television. Mind you, we also have a multitude of channels that play nothing but videos. Does the US have anything like that?

If nothing else, I feel like they play an important part in an artist's whole visual more than anything.

7. In some ways it would be a shame if pop videos went the way of CD singles and albums, but in truth recent years have been so horrendously mediocre and offensive in terms of pop videos, they might not be missed that much.

MTV's main channel pretty much abandoning them in their schedules a few years back probably set the tone.

EG.

8. I think Youtube is good enough; it's great promotion when a song goes in the top 10 most viewed and then people click on it out of curiosity. Also, when I'm linked to music a video gives me a much clearer image of who that artist is and can sometimes even make me 'get' the song.

I've thought about this too. I guess with their level of success dancing is becoming less relevant. The males all dance or at least attempt to: Chris Brown, Usher, Derulo, Ne-Yo etc but with the girls it's all about live singing now. Especially with Ciara flopping so hard after her amazing dance routines; and J Lo pre-idol.

Taeyang likes this.
  9. ops

ops

Well now they've taken to defraying the cost with all that product placement. Which annoys the living shit out of me.

10. It's weird. I honestly would've thought it'd be more popular, with all the dancing reality shows on nowadays.

11. Don't know if this belong in here.

I just found out there is a second video for "Left Outside Alone" by Anastacia. I only knew about the one where she's walking on a street or something, not the one with candels etc.

12. 'Victorialand' is the best Cocteau Twins album.

13. Merzbeef

Merzbeef Guest

It's clearly Milk & Kisses.

14. That's in my top 3, behind Heaven or Las Vegas.

15. RJF

RJF

I had no idea this existed until now. I don't really like Anastacia when she's not wearing glasses, and that video is just downright unnecessary.

16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Why don't singers just realase their music world-wide through Itunes even if they don't have any plans to promote or look for success in that country? It doesn't cost much to put songs on itunes right?

I know I would have bought quite a few more albums from some if I could just go on Itunes and buy it. I hate paying important fee it can make a price of cd go from 12 to 20 somthing.

17. TOTALLY agree. It's so much more convenient to just be able to buy music on iTunes than trawl around the internet to find someone that supplies to foreign countries at a high cost. Surely it can't hurt them.

18. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

I love Halo. Best song off I Am... Sasha Fierce

Ish.

19. Leona Lewis' Outta My Head is one of the best pop songs, ever.

2014 likes this.
  20. That song never fails to give me a headache.