Random Pop Thoughts | Page 4309 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Pop Thoughts

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Mar 21, 2011.

1. You know those music videos so good they basically compel you to go back to the song and reassess, searching for the nuances you must somehow have missed the first time around? Well, is there a better example of that than this masterpiece, I wonder?:

I adore how the video appears to flip the meaning of the song on its head only for you to realise that Gwen was trying to tell you she isn't cool all along. I mean, consider the lines "and I'll be happy for you / if you can be happy for me". If Gwen were indeed cool, why would her happiness depend upon the happiness of her former partner? Also, consider how Gwen and her ex are "hanging out with [his] new girlfriend" while Gwen's own new partner goes unmentioned (interesting that even with the line "now you call me by my new last name" Gwen sidesteps including any direct reference to her new partner) and, tellingly I feel, is not shown in the video. It makes you appreciate that Gwen isn't singing about moving on and being cool but about wanting so badly to maintain some kind of relationship with her ex that she'd sooner fake being cool while being inwardly distraught than reveal her true feelings and potentially sever all ties. A beautifully poignant and subtle stroke underneath the surface of the song really, expertly highlighted by the video.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. I still haven't recovered from the first time I heard that bass lick four seconds in. I immediately stood up the first time I heard it.

3. This is why Cool is one of my favorite songs ever. The layers upon layers of meaning continue to fascinate me all these years later.

Sinful, Fantasy, Oleander and 2 others like this.
  4. Today I'm making the entire office listen to Geri Halliwell and Alexandra Burke deep cuts. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the employee of the month recognition anytime soon.

iheartpoptarts and Fantasy like this.

5. Fancied a Britney Bop.

6. Still so good.

[​IMG]

Island likes this.

7. Perfect evening to have this on repeat

LE0Night, Island and 2014 like this.
  8. Legit one of the greatest songs of all-time.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  9. You probably won't have a job soon.

Up Down Suite likes this.
  10. I tried listening to Harry Styles’ debut in work but kept nodding off. Looks like it’s going to be a Flesh Tone kind of afternoon!

11. 2:30 - 2:45 gives me skin frissons every time.

12. 2014

2014 Moderator

13. Oh NO.
    Oh YES.

14. Still amazing.

Runawaywithme, 2014, Jwentz and 3 others like this.

15. Jaaaaded queeeeeen
    Shaaaade maaaachiiiiiiine
    Gaaaaaangsta leeeeeeeaaaaan
    Beeeest beeeeelieeeeeeeeeeve
    Moooooootheeeeeeeeer Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

NuhdeensPassport, Jwentz and Serg. like this.