Randy Crawford | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randy Crawford

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Delage, Apr 11, 2017.

1. I'm surprised there's no thread regarding this lovely artist with a big voice. I've been listening to her back catalogue and it's one of those artists that could sing a telephone book and still sound gorgeous.

The first album of hers I bought was her 1989 album Rich & Poor when I heard her beautiful rendition of Knockin' On Heaven's Door, which should have been massive and not a #90 UK hit or something like that. She brings in solid performances, but sadly a lot of her albums have too much adult contemporary filler, which can drag them a bit. I guess she's sadly become one of those artists with a big voice that were unjustly condemned to sing adult contemporary-MOR songs, although credit where it's due, her 90's albums do not sound like a washed-out former popstar's output.

Her opus magnum, Secret Combination, is still a 10/10 album though, one of the best albums of the 80s IMHO.

Her live rendition of Fallen with Spanish soul act Presuntos Implicados is one of my favourites from her:

Eric Generic likes this.
  2. How funny - I've just dug out her Best of and have been listening to it this morning for the first time in ages.

I remember finding 'Almaz' (about the only single of hers I recall getting much airplay) quite annoying as a child and she definitely had a tendency towards MOR, but when she was matched with the right song ('Rainy Night in Georgia', 'Secret Combination', 'Now We May Begin' and of course 'Streetlife'), she was great.

Her cover of 'Everything Must Change' is probably the best I've ever heard of the many versions that are out there. Even her take on George Benson's 'Give Me the Night' (one of my all-time favourite songs) is quite decent.

Eric Generic likes this.
  3. Her version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door is sublime.

4. I bought her Secret Combination and Now We May Begin CDs recently. These were her 2 biggest albums here in the U.K. Really enjoyed both.

Eric Generic likes this.
  5. By chance - well, not really, I am sorting out my 1981 Singles Log - I needed to dig out Secret Combination today! She was very popular around that time in the UK, although success after that was fleeting and intermittent.

My personal favourite is the Nightline album, and its title track. Really ace uptempo 80s R&B/funk pop. But I've got all the albums up to the one after Rich & Poor; the 1992 one whose title eludes me.

She has a beautiful voice, as a kid I used to confuse her with Roberta Flack.

6. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't realize You Might Need Somebody was a cover song. For many years, I thought Shola Ama was the first to sing it.

Eric Generic likes this.