Rate Queue (sign up here to run a rate) | Page 335 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rate Queue (sign up here to run a rate)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, Nov 19, 2014.

1. You're flawless.

DJHazey likes this.
  2. You helped. ;)

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  3. I'm clearing a large amount Sunday and then it'll be a top 150 countdown kind of thing, to make up for the delay. Certainly bit off more than I could chew. Sorry for the delays and inconveniences to everyone.

berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  4. I'm on board for Hazey's mega-rate, (I know the majority of the songs already...oops)

Kii at Victoria Justice in an Ari-free zone.

DJHazey likes this.
  5. Okay but I think we ALL know that it would be a crime to host this rate and exclude the absolutely iconic "Best Friend's Brother"

[​IMG]

unnameable and DJHazey like this.
  6. Is there a Grimes rate (I don't see one on the completed rates list)? If not, I would love to run one after her new album comes out this year.

7. Yeah, I don't see a Grimes rate on the completed rates list and her new album will probably be out by the time I get to the top of the queue, so can you sign me up for Grimes @RainOnFire?

8. I honestly didn't think anybody would call for that particular song, but I decided against it and All I Want Is Everything and have her best represented. Sorry!

9. The Natalia Kills Rate has been resuscitated! It's time for part deux, and if any one of you guys wanna join in you have until Sunday January 14th 9 AM CET to give me your scores and commentaries. We desperately need more people to join in, and it's only 20+ songs to rate - so give it a go!

Here's the link to the songs still in the running.

[​IMG]

10. So here's an idea that got floated in my current 90's rate thread: a rate for 90's one-hit wonders. Love that idea, personally. I wouldn't take it on right now myself (I've still got to finish the 1990-94 half of my current rate and do the 1995-99 half, after all), but I'm wondering if there's anybody else out there who'd be winning to run such a thing?

berserkboi, Sprockrooster and DJHazey like this.
  11. Ready to 11 the 4 Non Blondes (I actually have a working list of one hit wonders at home; not only 90's songs).

Ironheade likes this.
  12. Can you sign me up for a CHVRCHES rate @RainOnFire? I might end up changing my mind if they don't release a 3rd album by the time it comes around but this is the idea I wanna do the most currently.

13. Ray

Ray

Interestingly (?) when Younger Younger 28s failed to set the charts on fire they became a wedding band called One-Hit Wonders, playing covers of one-hit wonders' hits.

Wish I could find footage of them somewhere, but searching for "one hit wonders" surprisingly didn't return the results I wanted.

14. Ooo, I'd definitely vote. Let me tag @Animalia as potential voter too.

GhettoPrincess likes this.
  15. I actually did come up with a working list of songs that would be included should it ever come to pass... but there's 72 of them, so it would probably have to be cut down, so as not to put people off (as this would be a pretty niche rate as it is).

A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins
    Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-a-Lot
    Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik
    Bitch - Meredith Brooks
    Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
    Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
    Blue (Da Ba Dee) - Eiffel 65
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
    Brick - Ben Folds Five
    Cannonball - The Breeders
    Closing Time - Semisonic
    Connected - Stereo MC's

Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex
    Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla
    Criminal - Fiona Apple
    Crush - Jennifer Paige
    Epic - Faith No More
    Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
    Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite
    Here Comes the Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze
    How Bizarre - OMC
    I Know - Dionne Farris
    I Love You Always Forever - Donna Lewis

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
    I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
    Informer - Snow
    In the Meantime - Spacehog
    I Touch Myself - Divinyls
    I Try - Macy Gray
    I Wish - Skee-Lo
    Jump Around - House of Pain
    Just a Friend - Biz Markie
    Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
    Life is a Highway - Tom Cochrane
    Lovefool - The Cardigans

Lullaby - Shawn Mullins
    Macarena - Los Del Rio
    Mambo No. 5 - Lou Bega
    Missing - Everything But the Girl
    Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies
    My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
    No Rain - Blind Melon
    Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
    One Headlight - The Wallflowers
    One of Us - Joan Osborne
    Pepper - Butthole Surfers
    Possum Kingdom - Toadies

Save Tonight - Eagle-Eye Cherry
    Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
    She's So High - Tal Bachman
    Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money in My Hand - Primitive Radio Gods
    Steal My Sunshine - Len
    Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin
    The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
    The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe
    The Impression That I Get - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    There She Goes - The La's
    Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
    Tubthumping - Chumbawamba

Unbelievable - EMF
    Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
    What It's Like - Everlast
    What is Love - Haddaway
    What's Up? - 4 Non Blondes
    Whoomp! (There It Is) - Tag Team
    Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
    Would I Lie to You - Charles and Eddie
    You Get What You Give - New Radicals
    You Gotta Be - Des'ree
    Your Woman - White Town
    Zoot Suit Riot - Cherry Poppin' Daddies

This also led to some angst over who does and does not qualify as a one-hit wonder:

When I categorized songs as "one-hit wonders", I meant artists who had one hit in America specifically. I know some of these artists were a lot bigger in other places, like The Verve in the UK, Tom Cochrane in Canada and the Divinyls in Australia, but they all only had one American hit, so they went on the list. And because these are American one-hit wonders, I didn't include the likes of Babylon Zoo or Stiltskin, because their one hits didn't make it to America at all.

Timing was a bit of a problem, too. For example, "Epic" first appeared on a 1989 album, but wasn't released as a single until 1990. "Just a Friend" was released as a single and on an album in 1989, but took until 1990 to peak. "The Bad Touch" was released as a single in 1999, but didn't peak or get put on an album until 2000. "I Try" was released as a single in 1999... but not in America, that took until 2000. However, I ultimately decided that if it was released as a single in the 90's, or reached its peak on the chart in the 90's, or both, it counts.

I dithered on including artists like Faith No More, the Butthole Surfers, Fiona Apple, Ben Folds and Chris Isaak, because they have big cult followings and critical acclaim. Sure, they only have one top 40 hit, but by that standard, Frank Zappa and the Grateful Dead are one-hit wonders too. But at the end of the day... they only have one massive hit song that the GP would recognize, so they can go on here. However, I opted to exclude Beck by this standard, just for being TOO acclaimed (across multiple albums) and influential, and I decided that his other hits on the alternative side were big enough that he wasn't a one-hit wonder for "Loser".

I didn't know whether to include some artists, like The La's, The Breeders and Mazzy Star on here, because their songs didn't make the top 40, so really, they're no-hit wonders. But since the songs are still well-known (particularly among indie crowds) in spite of that, I decided that they could be included. Also, y'know, because I like them.

Finally, there's some artists who are popularly considered to be "one-hit wonders", but actually aren't.

Vanilla Ice? Had a #4 hit as his follow-up to "Ice Ice Baby".
    Kris Kross? Three other top 20 hits that aren't "Jump".
    Soul Asylum? They have another #20 hit that isn't "Runaway Train", and a third song that topped the Modern Rock chart (albeit one that didn't cross over).
    Billy Ray Cyrus? No other pop hits after "Achy Breaky Heart", but several other country hits.
    The Rembrandts? Had a single that got higher on the charts than "I'll Be There for You".
    Aqua? A few other songs that just missed the top 20 that weren't "Barbie Girl".
    MC Hammer? REALLY not a one-hit wonder; he had four other top 10 hits than "U Can't Touch This"!

However, EMF and Snow both made the list, even though they have a top 20 hit each other than "Unbelievable" and "Informer". Their follow-up songs, I decided, fell down the charts too quickly, and were so non-remembered that they can't count as two-hit wonders the way Vanilla Ice (for example) can.

Anyway, I'm putting this out there as a concept for anybody who might want to run it. If there's nobody, I'll make it my next project in the queue when my current rate is done (which will probably take a few more months to complete in its entirety).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:40 PM
  16. I see like five clear 11s in that list, which is problematic.

Also I can't believe there was actually an act called Cherry Poppin' Daddies...

Ironheade likes this.
  17. Is it bad that I own albums by many of these one-hit wonders, and in some case multiple albums?

18. I think you can potentially make the list smaller by excluding obvious big names like Imbruglia and other songs that have recently been rated such as on both 90s rates you are doing. People would have had a chance to discuss those in other circumstances, allowing the others to shine a bit more too.

Ray, londonrain and Ironheade like this.
  19. Let's not remove the best ones!

20. Well, US chart success aside, a lot of these acts have great discographies.

Ironheade and londonrain like this.