Rebuild of the Anime Thread | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuild of the Anime Thread

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by 3Xs, Jun 2, 2013.

1. 3Xs

3Xs

In the meantime until we see if/when off topic comes back. Then it can just be merged with the old one.

[​IMG]

(Click image for full size)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: Interim Anime Thread

What's catching my attention at the moment.

1. Attack on Titan

Anyone else seen it? It's one of the new anime this spring and it's absolutely outstanding, at least from the first few episodes I've seen. The violence is a bit gratuitous in parts and honestly I still wish we knew more about these so-called "titans" that are feeding on the poor townspeople, but so far there's a solid story and it's a fascinating show nonetheless. I'd describe it as primal and somewhat disturbing, and the animation is gorgeous.

A bit of what I mean for those who haven't seen it (sort of contains spoilers but it's what got me into the show)

[video=youtube;nwBHI2hQ1D4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwBHI2hQ1D4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You can watch ep 1 streaming in HD over on crunchyroll and then you can watch for free in SD with commercials up to episode 8, but if you have adblock it skips them for you.

2. Free!

Which is the new "swimming anime" coming this summer. Made famous by this trailer:

[video=youtube;7NqRG88E-s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NqRG88E-s8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

which has now been made into a real show following the massive reaction it got on the web. They're currently releasing trailers for each character. Anyway, a bit of eye candy this summer. I'm sure the storyline will be deeply philosophical. The show starts airing in July.

3. Random question but does anyone know where I can stream an English subbed version of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth online? I know it's not that good but I've been meaning to watch it.

3. Re: Interim Anime Thread

Just watched the first episode of Attack on Titan, that was incredible! The quality is insane, like no anime I've seen before. And I rarely get scared by anime but some of these Titans are terrifying! Great find!

Here's the only subbed link I can see. (Quality isn't that great though).

4. 3Xs

3Xs

^Thank you! That should do. I'm not even sure why I want to watch it considering I just got done re-watching the entire original series, but I plan on going back and watching The End of Evangelion again so I want to see every Eva related thing beforehand.

Glad you liked Attack on Titan. I think it's a breath of fresh air in current anime.

5. Attack on Titan looks really interesting!

I only watch anime when it gets released over here on DVD so I'm usually waaay behind everyone else, but there's been a good few shows that have come out recently. I've really loved Penguindrum and am looking forward to the second half after the first half ended on a cliff hanger. The Persona 4 animation has been great as well, but then I like anything Persona related.

6. 3Xs

3Xs

^I LOVE the opening theme to Penguindrum! I've been meaning to check out the show ever since discovering the song

[video=youtube;2sGshNxJbHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGshNxJbHM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

7. Do it! It's such a strange series that keeps on going into unexpected territory, plus the penguins are super cute.

I love the opening theme as well, but prefer the closing theme even more...
    [video=youtube;EptyS8ln-gM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EptyS8ln-gM[/video]

8. 3Xs

3Xs

^Love that too! Definitely gonna have to check up on Penguindrum when I have some free time. Maybe this weekend.

9. Outside of Studio Ghibli, a few other movies (Summer Wars, Wolf Children, etc.) and Serial Experiments Lain, I don't have much experience with anime and I wouldn't call myself a big anime fan, but I gave Attack on Titan a chance because the premise sounded interesting. Gorgeous animation but I found it quite annoying. I don't know if it's a common thing for anime series but there was no subtlety or nuance to the characters' emotions. They seemed to go from 0 to 60 in two seconds flat. Do you know what I mean? It didn't seem realistic at all. (Obviously, I'm not looking for hyper-realism in a series about a dystopian society under threat from giant beings, but it was certainly off-putting to me.)

10. 3Xs

3Xs

I think it's plenty subtle. The show has it's quieter moments, though obviously during a battle it would be 0 to 60.

Also, judging the whole of anything based off just one example is generally always a horrible idea. Don't do it man.

11. Oh, no, I wasn't suggesting all anime was like that, or that I was going to completely write it off based on one series. I was just wondering if it was a common thing. And I'm not talking about the battle scenes. In the first episode, near the beginning, Eren just started going mental at Hannes for no reason at all (at least in my opinion). It's obviously just not my cup of tea.

12. 3Xs

3Xs

Eren is a hothead so that's understandable (and is explained more as the series progresses). Mikasa and Armin are a lot more levelheaded and cool than he is, and help to balance his character (because if it was all Eren-types I'd totally agree it would get annoying fast).

13. I got totally hooked from about episode 3 onwards and raced through to 9. I don't know how I'm going to get by with just one ep a week now haha. Definitely a breath of fresh air like you said; summer isn't particularly exciting me either apart from that swimming anime with the hot half naked boys.

14. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni is still like one of the best anime ever (Although the visual novel was a lot better..) I used to be fucking obsessed.

Plus, how gorgeous is the music?

[video=youtube;ppCy64lVrGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppCy64lVrGU[/video]

The Umineko anime, however....just no.

15. 3Xs

3Xs

Oh fuck yes.

[​IMG]

16. 3Xs

3Xs

So after racing through every available episode of AOT so far I gave Penguindrum a try last night an ended up watching the first 4 episodes straight through. Brilliant show! I just hope Himari gets more to do soon.

17. I just raced through the first 4 episodes of Penguindrum too! Love it, and It's nice to have something so light after AOT. I have a big crush on Kanba...

I think I'll just stick to recommendations from this thread! haha

18. Aw, glad you both like Penguindrum! Things get better and weirder from now on so look forward to that, I just love the little penguin animations in each episode, they can sometimes be a little distracting but that just adds to the charm!

Episode 9 or 10 is focussed on just Himari and it's a really unusual one.

But no spoilers after episode 12 cause I've got to wait till August to see the rest!

19. Attack On Titan is amazing. I am not ready for these dramatic twists and cliffhangers every episode (although I totally saw the big one coming from a mile off).

My only criticism is that it's too short, I feel like some episodes move at a glacial pace because little happens in them, then I remember that we've probably had ~18 minutes of actual screen time, all of which was very fast paced action.

20. Free premiered yesterday! Someone uploaded it to Youtube:

[video=youtube;3rm8hSMqCgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rm8hSMqCgo[/video]

Gripping stuff.