Rihanna - ANTI (Guess what? She believes in it!) | Page 1396 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rihanna - ANTI (Guess what? She believes in it!)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by RJF, Oct 9, 2014.

1. I still think Baby One More Time is a genuinely great album for the exact same reason and I'll never get that people say it's basically just teen pop. It's! So! Much! More!

(Ok yeah I totally get the critiscm I just don't want to)

2. (Same, haha)

theincredibleflipper likes this.
  3. Sell Me Candy is fan-fucking-tastic, as is Lemme Get That. Definitely the underrated treasures on Good Girl.

Her first two albums aren't terrible, exactly, but I'd be hard pushed to make a six-track EP of truly essential songs from the two of them. And "better than some of what gets hyped on here" is accurate, but hardly glowing praise when we've got a 100+ page thread on one of the least talented members of the Saturdays (who hasn't even released an album).

LP, Maki and Bobbyrae like this.
  4. With Rihanna's first two albums my rule of thumb is generally "take the singles* and run".

* - Except Unfaithful. Unfaithful can choke.

5. I'll never forget playing A Girl Like Me on shuffle for the first time and almost having a damn heart attack when that first 'RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE' came blaring out of my earphones at the beginning of 'We Ride'.

6. "Unfaithful" being a massive hit and "We Ride" flopping so hard was such a massive PopInjustice.

Also, "Break It Off" is such a strange single for Rihanna. We never got a video for it and it was only a single in the US and Belgium, making the Top 10 in both regions.

7. We Ride is crap.

8. OMFG, incredible.

9. Queen of being a fucking Queen. Always.

10. Funny how the critics and the general public disagree.

11. We've come so far from boxes of slime and treasure hunts in the woods. Queen.

Ferk and Bobbyrae like this.
  12. These are two of the best songs on the album though.

Mr.Arroz, Mr Blonde, Colin and 5 others like this.
  13. Rih is formative for me, she first started out when I was like 12 or 13 and I remember listening to Pon De Replay on a loop all the time and how you were not cool at school if your favorite artist was not Rihanna even though we only knew this one song. She is the first musician whose career I followed since the day one and with years I only learned to love and appreciate her more. She and her songs are a marker for a lot of special moments in my life. She grew up in front of my eyes and I grew up with her. Truly formative shit, especially in terms of my attitude towards life, I know it sounds silly, but her way of being fierce and devoted to the things she believes in, strong in her vulnerability, but at the same time being chill and so effortlessly cool, it actually means a lot and inspires me on a daily basis. (This got real cheesy, I'm sorry.)

14. Not really when her bigest hits were years ago.

15. By years ago I assume you mean last year with Work?

16. Her last number one was 5 years ago (in the UK), her longest running number one was 10 years ago...

17. Work was #1 in the US for 9 weeks, and Top 5 in the UK for weeks.

How tf is that not a big hit?

18. I don't live in the US so I don't really care for its charts. All I know is her recent music is rubbish and it was better in the past.

19. Sis...leave the thread and crawl back to whatever cess pit you came from.

20. Dddddd nawt when that troll was calling a song by Meghan Trainor one of the best songs of 2016.

Slice of Life likes this.