SET FIRE TO THE RATE: THE ADELE DISCOGRAPHY RATE RESULTS: #4 | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SET FIRE TO THE RATE: THE ADELE DISCOGRAPHY RATE RESULTS: #4

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Terminus, Apr 30, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Oh well.

At least it was slightly less savaged than it would've been if I hadn't entered I guess.

2. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Ew at Daydreamer falling before half of the maudlin shit on 25, it should've been a dead cert for the Top 20. A mess.

He Won't Go is cute and I'll always defend it, but I can't deny what a terrible comedown it is after that spectacular five-track opening run (especially coming right after a song as massive and dramatic as Set Fire to the Rain). It really should've been placed somewhere else on the tracklist.

3. I can't believe Can't Let Go is out so early. Kicking myself for not taking part now, it would have gotten a 10 from me.

myblood and Terminus like this.
  4. "He Won't Go" out already?? And before "Rumour Has It"... sad.

5. 2014

2014 Moderator

Sorry about the lack of updates yesterday, had no internet all day - don't know how I survived! And I'm in London all day today so I won't resume until tomorrow now! Xxxx

LE0Night, send photo, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  6. Can't Let Go is such a loss, it hits soppy old me so bloody hard every time I listen to it. One of her few bonus track she that deserved full album status.

myblood and Sam de Jour like this.
  7. 2014

2014 Moderator

23. Million Years Ago

[​IMG]

Average = 7.12
    Highest Score = 10 x 2 @CorgiCorgiCorgi @send photo
    Lowest Score = 4 x 1 @Epic Chocolat
    My Score = 5

*insert joke of my last update feeling like a million years ago*

Now we have that out of the way, it's another middling ballad on her latest record that just fails to stand out for me. It sees her revert back to her 19 traits, just her playing her guitar. It's apparently all about her life in the spotlight and her rise to worldwide fame, which is lovely but...it's completely forgettable, IMHO (r.i.p)

'Very soothing and beautiful,' claims @Sprockrooster while @evilsin is...a lot less nicer about it; 'probably the worst song on the album. It just sound like a bad Russian chanson song in the chorus.'

Just one for now but I'll try and eliminate the next two later (can't promise though!) Also I'm camping all weekend so if I survive that we'll continue on Monday! Love xxx

8. Wait at us almost being at Top20.

slaybellz, 2014 and Alouder98 like this.
  9. Y'all did Love In The Dark wrong.

evilsin likes this.
  10. You're right, we should've sacked it even earlier.

LE0Night and HollyDunnSomething like this.
  11. Cant Let Go was done wrong

12. hi @2014 i'd like to report a personal attack, I suggest an immediate permaban x

13. 2014

2014 Moderator

YAS fight fight fight!

14. This is giving me Jerry Springer teas.

15. It's giving me @beyoncésweave's Sugababes rate teas.

16. Aww, Million Years Ago is lovely. Definitely sounds a bit like a demo, though.

17. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I know a Million Years Ago gets slighted sometimes on here but I really like it and am glad it made top 25.

myblood, kal and HollyDunnSomething like this.
  18. 2014

2014 Moderator

I'll take this as a compliment thankyouverymuch x

(new elims on the way!))

myblood, londonrain and kal like this.
  19. 2014

2014 Moderator

22. Sweetest Devotion

[​IMG]

Average = 7.17
    Highest Score = 10 x 4 @ohnostalgia @Reboot @Sprockrooster @Terminus
    Lowest Score = 4 x 2 @2014 @LE0Night
    My Score = 4

My least favourite from 25, I find her voice screechy throughout here and it makes it a bit unbearable for me. Add to the fact the song really doesn't add anything new to her discography, it does little for me. It features her little son Angelo and is produced by Paul Epworth.

'Such a fan of this one from the start, but the love for it kind of died,' comments @Sprockrooster rather solemnly. @evilsin thinks 'the chorus is nice, kinda euphoric.'

Another exit is coming later and we'll find out our top 20, so see you in a bit!!! xxx​

20. 2014

2014 Moderator

21. Lovesong

[​IMG]

Average = 7.21
    Highest Score = 11 x 1 @D.F.P. & 10 x 2 @2014 @KingBruno
    Lowest Score = 4 x 1 @LE0Night
    My Score = 10

Just missing out on the top 20 is this gorgeous hidden little number on 21; I love how subtle her voice is on this throughout, it's dark and brooding and we've seen nowhere near enough of this side of her. It was originally recorded by UK act The Cure (I'd fix you with my love) and released in 1989 (please don't sue me Taylor) - it was their only top 10 hit in the US. It has also been covered by reggae band 311 for the soundtrack to Drew Barrymore starring 50 First Dates (what a film!) The Cure was also the first concert Adele ever went to, which is a bit lovely isn't it?

'This feels like such a tropical ballad it shouldn't be allowed to work sonically, but I am glad it does. I guess The Cure is proud,' says @Sprockrooster but @evilsin doesn't quite feel it; 'I feel the atmosphere, but not the overall song.' 'Really interesting cover choice but ultimately too dragged out. The length here, unlike One and Only, is noticeable,' argues @tylerc904. We end with fellow high-scorer @KingBruno who comments 'this bossa nova cover works better than you’d expect it to be. It’s completely addictive to listen to. A contender for my 11 for sure.'

I'll post the top 20 list for you in a bit - but it's getting tense now!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017