Songs That Made The World Go "Fucking Hell" | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Songs That Made The World Go "Fucking Hell"

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Popjustice, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

EVENING LADS

Don't know if you saw this but I did a thing on the front page basically saying, come on popstars, let's have some jaw-dropping pop moments.

This is that thing: https://www.popjustice.com/briefing...jor-pop-act-to-make-everyone-go-fucking-hell/

I'm putting together a Spotify playlist of songs that have made the world go "fucking hell" and wonder what you reckon should be on it.

The rules are basically that the songs need to sound really unusual and explosive and creative and unlike anything else that's around.

Here's how the playlist looks at the moment, not sure if a few of the songs qualify and there are loads more to add but these are just the ones I thought of while I was wandering around Sainsbury's earlier.

[​IMG]

So: what also needs to be on the playlist?

The main trap I keep falling into is that the song can't just be bloody amazing — it needs to be surprising in some way, know what I mean?

Modeblock, RUNAWAY, Noir and 8 others like this.
  2. Just Dance or Bad Romance, perhaps???

3. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Was thinking this actually — it really did change pop for a short while didn't it? Sounded like nothing that had been a hit before. (Although 'hilariously' I remember reviewing it after she played it live for the first time and saying it sounded like Modjo's Lady Hear Me Tonight, which seems ridiculous with hindsight.)

Anyway, what a song.

Stuart, Sam de Jour, sesita and 22 others like this.
  4. Toxic was the first thing that came to my mind, too.

slaybellz likes this.
  5. RJF

RJF

6. Having Girls Aloud on the list twice might be cheating, but this was definitely a fucking hell moment:

maikos87, Stuart, sesita and 24 others like this.
  7. RJF

RJF

Also, can I petition to get "I Love It" removed from that playlist?

8. Uptown Funk was the first thing that sprang to mind so I'm glad to see that there.

Rainbow Trousers and Popjustice like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I'd say to an extent Sound Of The Underground, Love Machine, Sexy No No No and Call The Shots as well, but then I guess for the general public apart from the first 2 they may have lacked proper impact.

At the time it came out Get This Party Started sounded unlike anything I'd heard as well.
    Leaning towards Umbrella/Crazy In Love as well, though maybe through sheer impact.

What You Waiting For surely?

Madonna must have had a few more as well.

andru likes this.
  10. Just Dance and TiK ToK set the brief for the rest of 2009-2011 at least and were very new and fresh when they were released, despite TiK ToK having a very common chord progression and in turn receiving comparisons to dozens of other pop songs.

sesita, Jwentz, Diet Pop! and 4 others like this.
  11. RJF

RJF

"Frozen" and "Hung Up" are obvious ones.

12. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

What You Waiting For: good shout. Umbrella I just wonder if that's simply a fucking amazing song rather than a game changer for pop (although it was deffo a game changer for Rihanna). Crazy In Love's a big yes. Cheers!

13. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Uptown Funk is an odd one, cause it's definitely a huge moment, but unusual-sounding when it take inspiration from so many existing songs?