Sophie Ellis-Bextor. | Page 1118 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Dazzle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Work It Out is the Roger Sanchez track

AndrewX likes this.
  2. Oh wow, I didn't realize it had leaked. I remember thinking it almost leaked around the time Did I leaked but I thought someone stopped it from happening. It's nice to finally here it.

kaushik likes this.
  3. LCAW feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Hummingbird
    Release Date: January 26, 2018

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. I guess I'm late for the ranking thing but here it is anyways
    1. Trip The Light Fantastic
    2. Shot from the Hip
    3. Read My Lips
    4. Make a Scene
    5. Wanderlust
    6. Familia
    All amazing, all heartfelt. all will stand the test of time.

justFurio and Uno like this.
  5. God, for being a fairly upbeat track production wise, 'If You Go' is so damn heartbreaking. Especially that freaking middle 8. Fuck.

LP, Vasilios, biffy77 and 7 others like this.
  6. Definitely one of Xenomania's best productions. I really wish they would have worked more together. Especially during Xenomania's peak.

Could you imagine Sophie on a Call The Shots type of track? I think the world may have imploded if something like that happened.

7. One of my favorite ‘sunny day cry’ songs.

8. I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, but apparently there was a proper tears-on-the-floor XenoSophie track that she rejected back then. I know of this only because of one of those people who leaked her demos. There was no other mention of it, so I’m assuming it was just story constructed by fans, but if something like that was actually there, she would have benefited greatly from it back then..

Also, Immune To Love and Work It Out would have also done well for her if she had released them. Such a shame that we got stuck with Can’t Fight This Feeling instead.

AndrewX likes this.
  9. Uno

Uno

Tears-on-the-dancefloor is my favorite genre of pop - that would've been amazing.

lushLuck likes this.
  10. Apparently Sophie didn't enjoy the process of working with Xenomania though and how they piece together different songs to form one song.

Bunifah, kaushik and lushLuck like this.
  11. I'd love to hear her talk more about the making of Trip the Light and Make A Scene. I can imagine there would have been a lot of frustration for both projects for all sorts of different reasons but I'd just love to hear her take on it all.

kaushik and lushLuck like this.
  12. Trip would definitely have been a painful process for her.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - it wasn’t the album she started out to make. If she were left to her own devices, we’d have got a proper B-52’s inspired songs, loads of quirky songs with guitars instead of computerised music. We’d have probably got some Blondie-like songs as well because she was listening to a lot of Franz Ferdinand back then.

Scene would have been very stressful too

Deer Stop likes this.
  13. Still, with Trip, we ended up having her best album AND one of the best pop albums ever made. I think we (and she) can be satisfied with the result... Personally I wouldn't have changed one thing about Trip apart from making Can't Have It All a proper album track.

14. I quite possibily would never forgive a person not releasing IF YOU GO as a single. But I cant ever hate on Sophie so I found peace with it

Still tho I am pissed she never properly sung it live (accoustic doesnt count)

Uno, londonrain, Deer Stop and 2 others like this.
  15. Immune To Love never leaked right? I would kill to hear that track. Her and Richard X are a dream team.

Nunya B and Deer Stop like this.
  16. Nope it’s never leaked.
    Richard X has played it as part of a DJ set though. It must have been back in 2012/2013, he played a DJ set at an event. He played Immune To Love then followed it with his Nicola Roberts collaboration, Crash. I didn’t realise it was Sophie to start with until my ex at the time pointed it out. I recorded part of it on my old phone. I don’t have it now but I am sure if I hunted around hard enough I could find the recording I made.
    For me personally Immune To Love is hands down the best track from the Make A Scene sessions, very edgy electro dance pop in keeping with Richard X’s style. It should have been finished and used. It is super catchy and amazing. The only lyric I can remember comes from the chorus

“If you’re Immune To Love (I want to be to)”

Btw the Nicola Roberts track Crash, was really forgettable and bland, I can see why it wasn’t used.

londonrain, Deer Stop and lushLuck like this.
  17. Well well well... Apparently, Kylie's
    video for her brand new single (Dancing) is directed by none others than... Sophie Muller.
    Now, how do we all feel about this???

18. Sophie Muller can be great but also very predictable. Often she's all about the astethics than telling any kind of story.

I love the appreciation of Trip and 'If You Go'. I remember buying an album sampler from eBay back in the day and that song was on there and just flawed me. I was sure it was going to be a single and potential number one.

New Flame likes this.
  19. While 'Trip...' is her best album and a triumph of a pop album, wasn't it kind of promoted as a comeback album? It wasn't a disaster, but maybe they thought/hoped it would do better in the charts and sales? There's also the 'Me And My Imagination' thing that happened. She really should've released 'If You Go' as the third single in the summer. Not sure if it would've had any impact, but at least more people would've heared this song.

I can imagine that, logistically, 'Trip' and 'Scene' were more difficult to make than 'Wanderlust' and 'Familia', but I think she's still happy with those albums. Obviously the only album she seems to love less is 'Shoot'.

It's a shame we were robbed of a true Tour The Light Fantastic.

20. You know, I dream of a time when Sophie will indeed give us a concert in which she will sing the whole of Trip (including bonus tracks AND b-sides), a bit like Carol King did with Tapestry.
    Yes, it is THAT iconic.