Spotify's Use of Fake Artists to Lower Licensing Costs | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spotify's Use of Fake Artists to Lower Licensing Costs

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by willyeverman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. There was a story about this on the front page the other day, and I just read a bunch of Music Business Worldwide stories about it, and now I'm fascinated and obsessed, so I decided to share.

Basically, the accusation from Music Business Worldwide came last summer, claiming that Spotify was starting to commission work from producers that would both cost less and be owned by them (to avoid paying royalties), and then was adding those songs to playlists like Peaceful Piano, Ambient Chill, or Sleep, all of which get played by passing listeners frequently. Spotify just recently responded, saying that they don't create fake artists, and pay royalties for everything on their platform. They also stated that they have a team dedicated to watching out for any activity that could be misleading or fraudulent to their users. Music Business Worldwide responded by compiling a list of 50 artists, all having publishers that are unique to the individual releases, and all of which have no online presence outside of Spotify (Youtube, Apple Music, ReverbNation, etc.), that have collectively racked up hundreds of millions of streams. The next day, they published further findings, showing that seven of the artists on their list of 50 fake artists (all under different names, different publishers) were credited on BMI as being written only by a duo called Romdhane/Svedlund, who have worked with Kelly Clarkson, Atomic Kitten, Westlife, and a bunch of other large artists. No comment from them at this point.

The icing on the cake is that apparently, Spotify is in the process of hiring Fran├žois Pachet, who is behind the team at Sony that created and released two songs composed entirely by artificial intelligence that gained a lot of coverage last year, Daddy's Car in the style of The Beatles, and Mister Shadow in the style of American artists such as Duke Ellington and Irving Berlin. It is said that he's being brought on to develop creator tools to help composers become more effective, and to help more people become composers.

Where do you think this is going? Are smaller pop playlists next to feature artists exclusive to Spotify that are otherwise non existent?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    bestinase and Eric Generic like this.
  2. Lucia Cole, her impact.

3. I had never heard of this, and just did some reading. Equally amazing.

lob0to likes this.