Still in Style: The 1989 Rate, Part 2 (Donna, Cher, Belinda, Taylor & co.) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still in Style: The 1989 Rate, Part 2 (Donna, Cher, Belinda, Taylor & co.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by VivaForever, Apr 26, 2017.

1. OH MY. Never heard most of the "lesser" songs, but cannot wait to stan for Belinda and Taylor. Genuinely curious who will get the higher average.

2. I can't help feel a little sorry for Taylor as I fear most of Can't Fight Fate will be out first. It's a solid album but doesn't have the highs of her debut and the holy trinity of Tell It To My Heart, Prove Your Love and Do You Want It Right Now. Up against the amazing Donna and Cher albums I don't hold out much hope for it.

3. I think Cher's album is the weakest here, but I do anticipate the big singles outlasting Taylor completely.

4. Emotional Fire for highest placing none Single in the whole Rate please..,

idratherjack likes this.
  5. I love Heart of Stone but then I am a sucker for some bombastic late 80s soft rock and power balladry!

Taylor Dayne is my favourite singer in this rate after Donna Summer but I don't see Can't Fight Fate as a "classic" album in the way I do the others. Hope I'm proved wrong and she sticks around.

6. Emotional Fire would seriously have been my 11 had it not been for the presence of one of the alleged "lesser girls". It is incredible!

7. It literally smacks you with its power. If it had been a single, it would be hailed as a Cher classic!

idratherjack likes this.
  8. The increasingly hysterical backing vocals managing to even drown out Cher is one of my favourite moments in all of recorded music.

Terminus likes this.
  9. Agreed on both.

tylerc904 likes this.
  10. Tell It to My Heart is all I take from her debut tibb. Can't Fight Fate on the other hand has With Every Beat of My Heart (my favorite Taylor song), I'll Be Your Shelter, Love Will Lead You Back (her best ballad by several miles), and the glorious title track - all 10's.

Jeffo and tylerc904 like this.
  11. Prove Your Love is even better!

I love the freestyle club sound of Taylor's debut whereas Uncle Clive pushed her in a more MOR adult contemporary direction for Can't Fight Fate. It also flopped completely in the UK with not one Top 40 hit which does affect how I feel about it up against all those big iconic Top 10 hits from the other albums. Still love her though!

12. The Tell It To My Heart singles are fab (well, the ballad single on Can't Fight Fate decimates the ballad single from TITMH), but the album tracks let it down. I love Want Ads, Do You Want it Right Now, and In The Darkness. But Can't Fight Fate has Wait For Me and Up All Night, which sound like smash hits, plus the excellent Ain't No Good and title track. You Meant the World to Me is such a fun bop, and had All I Ever Wanted replaced I Know The Feeling, it would be a perfect album.

I think Taylor will snag my 11, but the song in question stands zero chance of making it to the Top 10.

Also, I've been going back and revisiting the first rate and cringe at me arguing with one of my forum fav's @Jeffo. Sorry!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Jeffo likes this.
  13. I'll Always Love You was one of my mom's favorite songs and I still do not understand why. Also, my mom loving a song with the word "sexy" in it: nnñ.
    Eh.

Jeffo likes this.
  14. TITMH is such an uneven album. Its highs are fucking fantastic, but it tries to present her as both a dance diva and a sentimental adult contemporary singer (hello, both album covers) and it doesn't mesh well at all. The AC songs are the definition of perfunctory. Pure drivel.

Also there's something about the "your sweet, sexy ways" line in I'll Always Love You that puts me into an irrational rage.

This is the damn truth. Love Will Lead You Back is an iconic entry in her single discography and I'll Always Love You simply doesn't have the range.

tylerc904 likes this.
  15. It's water under the bridge, friend. I didn't handle things as well as I could/should have.

tylerc904 likes this.
  16. Prove Your Love > Everything on Can't Fight Fate. FACT.

idratherjack likes this.
  17. The voice of reason!

I'd go as far as to say Do You Want It Right Now > Everything on Can't Fight Fate

I do wish Taylor had stayed a dance diva for a little while longer.

Mikey1701 likes this.
  18. I'm going to do a tagging spree later tonight or tomorrow.

Be afraid.

19. @2014, @Aester, @AshleyKerwin, @Baby Clyde, @BattlebornAl, @bichard

[​IMG]

You're receiving this tag because you previously participated or showed interest in the original 1989 rate and/or my Bananarate. How are you doing? Hope you're well. Anyway, since you're on Popjustice, why not rate some more amazing albums and singles from 1989? Details are in the first post.

Good luck, and don't fuck it up.

[​IMG]

20. @br0dy, @burntoutcar, @chanex, @Epic Chocolat, @Eric Generic, @funkyg

[​IMG]

You're receiving this tag because you previously participated or showed interest in the original 1989 rate and/or my Bananarate. How are you doing? Hope you're well. Anyway, since you're on Popjustice, why not rate some more amazing albums and singles from 1989? Details are in the first post.

Good luck, and don't fuck it up.

[​IMG]

Eric Generic likes this.