Sugababes: versions 1, 2 and 3 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sugababes: versions 1, 2 and 3

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Popjustice, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

This a thread to discuss Sugababes versions 1, 2 and 3.

There is a thread in the main Pop & Justice forum in which you can discuss the band's most recent lineup - please don't discuss that here.

Arguing with over forum members will result in deleted posts and/or account being banned or deleted. Thanks.

2. 3.0 were by far the best for me. I love, love, love Catfights and Spotlights. That's very unpopular!

3. When I got my new iPod classic last year, I decided to finally formalize the incarnations to make things easier, so I now actually have it as Sugababes, Sugababes 2.0 and Sugababes 3.0 on my artists list. I'm much happier now.

4. August 7th, 2002, was when i became a Sugababes fan.

It ended on July 4th, 2009.

But in between, there was some gooooooood times. Happy times.

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  5. My ideal home!

First of all, I don't consider 3.0 'proper', but I love 1.0 and 2.0 to death because I think there's a natural progression between them. So bearing that in mind...

1) Mutya Buena.

2) Mutya's voice.

3) Keisha Buchanan.

4) Keisha's eloquence and drive.

5) Siobhan Donaghy.

(Even if she isn't remembered by the public, the fact she's on Overload means she gets respected, because I am sure in years to come it will be lauded as one of the greatest British pop singles of all time. Her voice and delivery gave the group an identity that no other group had at the time. Her role was massively important and I think if you deny that...you don't understand the Sugababes.)

6) Their amazing #1s.

7) Heidi Range.

(Though I've gone off her now, she was massively important back then because she was chosen by the others and gave their image a bit of a friendly gloss but didn't detract too much from what made them stand out so much.)

8) Their group persona. I loved how strange and sullen they appeared to be. If you didn't like it then you could just fuck off. They were fierce. I think Amelle's arrival and other elements reduced them to a desperation that put me right off them.

9) 1.0's harmonies are the best I've ever heard in a girl group. It was raw on their debut but they still sound utterly amazing. Their vocals are tampered with to death now and for good reason. Amelle's voice was, in my view, a cheap copy of Mutya's vocals. Brian Higgins was right about Mutya's voice.

10) The Promos! Some of their videos have been so very classy but with their unique stamp all over them. Overload, New Year, Shape, Freak Like Me, Hole In The Head, Push The Button...are all superb.

6. justabluefox

justabluefox Guest

I think Sugababes 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 were all great. I got into them right before Mutya left though so I wasn't properly around for Overload, Freak Like Me or Hole in the Head but I really wish I was around back then!

Mutya's voice really is special. 3.0 is my favorite line up but I can't really stand Amelle on any Mutya orignial song except for Follow Me Home and Gotta Be You.

There really was a time when I liked Sugababes just as much (or almost as much) as Girls Aloud. Obviously not anymore but at least I have the memories!

7. I remember the first time I heard Freak Like Me. I couldn't believe it was them but it was a stunningly brilliant move.

8. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

2.0 are the best for me (although I certainly have a lot of respect for 1.) - their albums were are the best, their run of singles beyond fantastic, and they just had it. Their songs are the reason the brand name 'Sugababes' even gets written about today, and I think it's sad that a lot of people don't really recognize that.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  9. There are some songs on Change and a few (very few) decent songs on Catfights and Spotlights, so that accounts for my 3.0 interest.

I kind of lost interest in listening to 2.0 songs for the last couple of years, but I'm actually getting back into them now. (NB, I only have the Mutya version of Taller In More Ways) Even when the songs aren't perfect - for example Ugly is very heavy-handed lyrically, almost like an Alan Parker film with its sledgehammering - there's something about it, and their voices, that just makes it shine.

I don't assign the first group as "1.0", since as far as I'm concerned that group was just, and will always be, what the Sugababes, plain and simple, no numbers, are. It's hard to believe One Touch is now a decade old, but still, still, sounds so wonderful, and current. Bloody hell, I wish we could get some level of that lyrical complexity back into more of the chart scene!

I might actually put it on now...

I just did, and I love that now and forever, the first official minute of the Sugababes aural history, belongs solely to Siobhan. Bliss.

Subspace88 likes this.
  10. Same here. The first I knew of the Sugababes being back was when the video started on MTV one day. Siobhan had always been my favourite but they won me over in about a minute.

To celebrate this new thread may I present something I promised aaages ago but only just managed to figure out how to get on Youtube: the One Touch limited edition EPK with exclusive mini videos.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkCTxj0eMC4
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qU7zVTt2dM

Edited to replace Part 2 link.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  11. That was the very last Sugababes album I bought. It's really good in places actually. Mutya's version of Red Dress is fantastic - she sounds bored shitless on it. Perfect!

12. Oh how lovely... a you-know-who-free zone! I can't help but feel we got the better deal... 11 years of history compared to 3 months. And for anyone interested, I note Angels/Three/Taller/Change are all £3 in HMV right now... not that I imagine many reading this will not already have them but there you go!

13. When will 'the real' Sugababes reform? Is there a chance Keisha would do it after her solo career? How likely is this to happen? I'm sure Mutya and Siobhan would go for it.

14. If it would happen, I think you'd be looking at the very minimum a year and some, to give Keisha's solo try a go.

But still, I don't know if Siobhan would go for it, and in my heart, I'm not sure I want her too, not because of some betrayal of principals or anything but just, it might seem wrong after so long, a regression in some way, for all of them. But who knows, I could be talking crap and it might happen and be just as brilliant as before.

Lush Life is on right now....so so good.

15. LUSH LIFE IS FUCKING AMAZING! I played it to deaf when I first went into Glasgow to get my copy of Overload.

16. Same here. I can still remember going into HMV to get the single. Ah, youth!

17. I refused to buy the Greatest Hits or DVD package because Amelle is on the front cover. God bless YouTube!

18. My new haven!

2.0 will always be the Sugababes to me in my opinion because they had the perfect balance of the original incarnation and effectively created their own legacy.

Mark, thanks for the video's but for some reason Part 2 isn't working.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  19. This haven is heaven!

It's time to reassess these albums. Why don't we start from One Touch and make it a proper big discussion. I'll post it up and we all rabidly dissect each release as it comes.

How about it?

20. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I'm all for it. And I love you even more for having a Veronica Mars avatar!