Tennis | Page 145 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Prayers circles that del Potro wins tomorrow.

I’ve also decided to formally stan Diego Schwartzman.

londonrain likes this.
  2. I stan both of them. Who knew I’d become such a fan of Argentine tennis players?

What changed your opinion of Schwartzman?

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  3. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Have always like him but I’ve recently got to see him play more matches. I enjoy his return game. Seems to have a good personality too.

4. I follow him on Instagram and he always seems really pleasant and down-to-earth.

I’m sure I read on the ATP website that he statistically has one of the best return games on the tour (which more than compensates for the fact that he hasn’t got the height to send Isner-style serves thundering down the court).

5. I was really hoping DelPo would miraculously make it to London to liven up the Finals. Bummer.

Even bigger bummer is Vika missing out on a Fed Cup final in her home country. Have to think that's a one time opportunity for Belarus.

londonrain and Someboy like this.
  6. Seems weirdly fitting that professional horror show Vandeweghe should finish the year a top 10 player. I'm struggling to raise an eyebrow for London next week either, given the state of the men's tour.

Ladies, gentlemen, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER in 2018. Please.

londonrain likes this.
  7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Well if an American was going to win a masters title Sock would be my choose.

The Elite tournament this year was the worst since it started.

Will be watching next Gen for Coric this week. Really not sure who to root for at the ATP finals.

8. What on EARTH was that sexist crap at the Next Gen Finals draw ceremony?!

Red Bull and the ATP have now apologised, but did literally nobody think it would be a bad idea?

9. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Sad Coric didn't win Next Gen. It was so bizarre to watch with the different rules. Court just looked odd without the doubles lines too.

Looking at the pictures of Finals really shown what an awful year it was for my faves on the men side. First time since I started watching tennis in 2006 that no one I particularly cared for made it.

With my current stan list being:
    Novak, del Potro, Milos, Stan, Tsonga, Borna, Simon, and new edition Diego.

Just hope it not Rafa vs Federer final.

londonrain likes this.
  10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Serena wedding picture look great. Did anyone see any other players there besides Venus and Woz?

Goffin vs Dimitrov for ATP finals.

londonrain likes this.
  11. So sad to learn that Jana Novotna has died, apparently after a long cancer battle. Only 49 as well. I'll never forget that moment where she broke down in tears after finally winning Wimbledon in 98.

Totto likes this.
  12. Really sad to see the news. I remember watching her when I first started getting into tennis. I didn't even know she was ill!

Totto likes this.
  13. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

The rumors of Ana being pregnant are true. Congrats to her!

Someboy likes this.
  14. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

2018 Wishlists?

ATP:
    - At least 2 first-time slam winners
    - Novak, Andy, Stan, and Kei at full health for the whole season
    - A full Big Four Reunion at the semi-finals of a Masters or Slam
    - Zverev finds consistency at the majors
    - Milos gets his groove back
    - A new, first-time #1

WTA:
    - The group of Muguruza, Pliskova, Halep, Svitolina, and Ostapenko play consistently and challenge one another instead of passing the baton each week
    - Someone maintains the #1 ranking
    - Sloane and Madison stay healthy and motivated
    - Maria makes a deep run at a slam
    - Vika's given the chance to play on her own terms at full health
    - Kerber back in the Top 10

londonrain and MollieSwift21 like this.
  15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

ATP:
    Novak goes back to #1
    Milos wins Wimbledon
    Coric finally breaks through
    del Potro constant threat and injury free
    No slam finals of Federer vs Nadal
    Sock stays the top America

WTA:
    Woz gets weeks in at #1 and Slam
    Bencic returns to top 10
    Aga rebounds a bit
    I'll second Maria make a deep slam run and Madison and Sloane staying healthy and motivated.
    Ostapenko does a Bouchard

I'm having such a hard time imaging someone on ATP being number 1 and it not being the big four!

16. The question of Caroline winning a slam is a head-scratcher for me because despite her longevity as a top player, even in her #1 days I'd struggle to point to a single slam title that 'should' have been hers. For Aga it's Wimbledon 2013 (and arguably Melbourne 2014), for Jankovic it's Roland Garros in 2010, for Simona it's obviously this year's RG final (and arguably New York in 2015). Caroline hasn't reached even the quarters at Wimbledon or the semis in Paris, was never anyone's favourite to beat Kim or Serena in her US finals, and neither would you have bet on her to beat Kim in Melbourne in 2011 had she got through her semi against Li Na.

My list of wants is pretty much the same as @Someboy's. The men's tour really needs Novak and Andy to come back healthy and/or some of the young pretenders to break through.

17. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Now that's it been about a month since last tournament this is time I like to go back and watch some matches. What are some yall favorite matches throughout the years. I'll probably go watch some.

Mine mainly involve Novak, Ana, and Wozniacki best moments.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  18. Favourite matches ever? I often go back to watch both of Capriati's Aussie wins and also her French win. In terms of quality and drama the Seles/Graf French final from 92 is a classic. So too THAT Graf/Hingis French final.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  19. Venus v. Kvitova was my favorite match of the year.

I'll never watch it again in my life though because one heart attack was plenty.

londonrain, Totto and MollieSwift21 like this.
  20. So David Taylor is Ostapenko's new coach. Can't see that lasting. Replacing him in Osaka's camp is Big Sascha in his first "proper" coaching gig.