Tennis | Page 146 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Every Vee vs Kvitova match are like that. My worst fear is that'll meet in a grand-slam final, because I know that will be the cause of my death, especially if it's Wimbledon.

londonrain likes this.
  2. The Petra/Venus match was AMAZING. Much as I like Venus, I was really pulling for Petra to get through it. Not only would she have been a semi finalist at all four slams (a club that presently consists only of the Williams sisters, Maria and Vika) but I think she would have gone on and won the tournament.

Have to mention the Roland Garros final too - as much as Jelena can be a brat, she absolutely soared in my estimation that day. If only more young players believed in themselves as she does.

3. I see Aljaz Bedene has switched allegiance back to Slovenia.

I can't blame him. Given that he isn't allowed to play in the Davis Cup and, as a result, the Olympics, this is his only shot of making the 2020 Olympics.

So now the only British men in the top 100 at the beginning of 2018 will be Andy Murray and Kyle Edmund. Oh well.

4. Marion Bartoli is coming back. At least we won't have to endure her commentary or on court interviews for a while.

Totto likes this.
  5. Vika out of Auckland. Ongoing custody battle. The baby's godfather suggested on Twitter that she committed perjury. I don't understand it tbh.

6. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Serena playing Jelena in Abu Dhabi, what a great battle of generations exhibition that could be. You have to assume Serena is planning on flying over to Melbourne afterward, right?

Totto and londonrain like this.
  7. And the new season has begun! Brits in quallies action. Heather won her Q1 today in Brisbane. Naomi and Katie B in quallies in Auckland. Serena's exhibition is being shown on Eurosport tomorrow apparently. And the number one merry go round continues with Halep, Muguruza and Woz all in with a shot of number one come next weekend. Can't see Halep staying there for long.

londonrain likes this.
  8. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Novak has withdrawn from Doha... hoping for speediest recovery still.

Hopefully we can restore #1 rank to someone who will stay there for like 67 weeks or something.

9. Glad to see Konta win her first two matches in Brisbane.

Murray's latest Instagram post is heartbreaking. It sounds like he's really frustrated now that the hip isn't recovering.

Totto and backstreetjoe like this.
  10. He officially pulled out today, sad but not surprising. Nishikori won't be taking part either.

Currently we have four men and four women active in the game who have won an Australian Open title, and with the possible exceptions of Roger and Maria, there's a question mark over the form, fitness or even the likely participation of every one. Astonishing stuff.

Someboy, londonrain and backstreetjoe like this.
  11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Serena has withdrawn from Australian Open too.

I've watch Wozniacki first two matches and she played really well in them. Serve has been good.

Belinda Bencic has been racing back since her wrist surgery. 17 match winning streak!

Someboy and londonrain like this.
  12. And the likely 32nd seed for the men's draw will now be Filip Krajinovic, who didn't even play the Australian Open last year and lost in qualifying in all of the other three Grand Slams. He's essentially where he is due to that third-set tie-break win over Isner in the Paris Masters semifinal and his walkover against Nadal in the Paris quarterfinal.

Meanwhile, the bottom half of the women's seeds includes Slam winners and finalists Safarova, Kvitova, Radwanska, Cibulkova and Kerber.

What a time for tennis.

Someboy likes this.
  13. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

The competitiveness of the women's game compared to the men's right now is something that would get a lot more press, if it weren't for everyone's collective love of Roger glossing over the state of the ATP. They desperately need Grigor, Sascha, or Nick to break out in a big way. Or even Goffin for that matter.

Also, WHERE is my great nemesis @Trousers? This thread is not the same without him!

Trousers and londonrain like this.
  14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Simon winning another title late in his career is a nice way to start 2018 season. Woz losing another final was disappointing. Watching Goerges play is something I would not like to do.

15. Unsurprisingly, Vika has pulled out as her child custody case rumbles on. Maria and Angie now the only former champions in the women's draw.

londonrain likes this.
  16. Murray has had surgery while in Melbourne and aims to be back by Wimbledon. Also..Giorgi beat Sloane 3 and 0. What on earth has happened since the US Open. Genie and Kiki also continue to slump.

londonrain likes this.
  17. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

This is truly the worst thing tennis-related going on right now. If you think about it; she's at the new peak age for tennis (late-twenties), she was in amazing shape when she came back last spring, and she's being held back from competing by a man she can afford to fly around the world, but he won't. She's being prevented from not only competition, but the ability to make a living in her profession, which has a limited window for success. I'm sure the father has his own side to the story, but it's hard as a tennis fan to be remotely sympathetic to it.

Trousers, Mike and londonrain like this.
  18. An unintended hiatus from this thread! Rest assured I'll be here to dissect the draws come Friday.

Definitely going to be an... interesting Slam. The men's game is a bit of a mess other than Roger (every time you have to count on the younger guns they tend to let you down). The women's seems to currently have one big hitter in form (Goerges), who has a pretty poor slam record for someone who's been relatively on the periphery for quite a long time.

Someboy, londonrain and Mike like this.
  19. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Novak played his first match. Things looked okay. His serve is different..

20. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It's an abbreviated service motion, but it was working fine.