Tennis | Page 153 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Woz vs Kerber was a very good match!

Totto likes this.
  2. WHAT a display from Petra in the Doha final. So happy that she's back in the top 10.

Totto and MollieSwift21 like this.
  3. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

There were some great matches this week. Woz vs Kerber, Woz vs Kvitova and the final of Kvitová vs Garbine were all great entertaining tennis.

Totto likes this.
  4. Although I really wanted Biñe to lose, I have to admit they both displayed some good tennis.

I'm glad Kvitova managed to win without even playing her best. I loved how Jiří Vaněk trying to get Petra a pumped during their conversation. She could and she should wipe the floor with everybody when she's on.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  5. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

With Petra winning that is a really strong top 10 plus Ostapenko. Seems like were going to have the best year for WTA in a while.

Someboy likes this.
  6. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Petra’s tennis has always bothered me, but she’s started playing with just enough margin that there’s more rhythm to her game and, subsequently, her matches. Great to see her back in the top 10.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  7. It does seem like a good few of the top-ranked women are determined to live up to their billing, and long may it continue. Shame about Simona's injury but I think she was hoping to be back for Indian Wells/Miami. I wonder if we'll see Serena then too.

londonrain likes this.
  8. I don't really see how Ostapenko is the only weak one singled out in the top 10, even assuming you're just going by this year's results alone. Venus? Even Garcia and Pliskova haven't shown us much when you properly look at their results. Not to mention if you look beyond the last two months, which of course you should, Jelena has actually done a pretty good job as a first time slam winner and a top 10 player. A lot better than most new slam winners do, with Stephens being a prime example.

Nor do I agree at all with "best year for WTA in a while" at all, but that one is more subjective at least.

9. I think I'd be waiting a bit longer than February to declare it the best year for anything, but it's an encouraging start in a lot of ways, so let's see.

Someboy likes this.
  10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Well I said seems like so of course things could always change but were off to a good start. My in a while was only back to 2014 anyway!

As for Ostapenko I just don’t rate her in a similar way that I don’t with Konta, Gorges, or Coco.

11. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Exactly. Top players have been playing each other at each tournament; famous, established names winning big titles or having winning streaks, it's hard to argue against at this point. At the very least, it sets things up really well for the American swing.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    londonrain and MollieSwift21 like this.
  12. I have this recurring nightmare about Coco winning a slam, so it was nice when she bombed out in the first round in Melbourne and we could banish that idea for another major (actually two, since she's hopeless on clay).

Probably a wise move on Petra's part to pull out of Dubai this week; those last two matches in Qatar were pretty gruelling.

Someboy, MollieSwift21 and londonrain like this.
  13. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Konta needs to sort herself out quickly; Miami is approaching, and if she loses early, she’ll only have the Wimby points propping up her ranking.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    londonrain likes this.
  14. I am SO intrigued to see what Bartoli's level will be like at this Tie Break Tens event. I mean, I can't see her being anywhere near a top 80 level (potentially being generous) but a comeback is always absorbing, and she was a player I always couldn't help but root for during her first career.

londonrain likes this.
  15. So Vika is back for Indian Wells. Is it because the tournament is in Cali (she can't travel outside Cali with Leo) or because the legal issue is over and she's back proper? Don't understand why Genie keeps getting these wildcards. Very poor taste tweeting about one of the jurors after her legal case ended last week - it was quickly deleted. She seems a rather unpleasant individual no?

16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Happy del Potro won Dubai.

The last I heard the legal issue was over with the judge siding with her but then she withdrew from Dubai when I think she was cleared.

londonrain likes this.
  17. Delighted to see Vika back. Serena is playing too isn't she?

Not here for Genie getting wildcards. I can't see that she'll make that much difference to ticket sales as a 'name' for all the time she's likely to last in the tournament.

18. I don't think Vika's legal dealings are fully over but I think the judge basically put a stop to her (and her son) having to stay in California. She looks slimmer than ever, probably needs to build little more muscle tone which will happen the more she plays.

Hopefully Maria will play IW too.

19. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I believe the California judge ruled the custody matter should be handled by a Belarus court, clearing Vika to travel, but the father had the right to appeal that decision and he did so. Once the appeal is over, and would likely rule in V’s favor, she could be back on tour. Let’s hope so.

Maria’s first round is against Osaka, which is just too good.

Mike likes this.
  20. Sharapova splits with Groeneveld!

A necessary move. Assuming that she's not done completely with the tour, this will be interesting.

Totto likes this.