Tennis | Page 156 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Hmm. Mladenovic isn't exactly a big scalp these days, but she definitely looked a lot niftier today than she had lately. Though this came after her Stuttgart loss and I wouldn't have said that match was an example of her being "left behind" either. Not that she's going to go and win Roland Garros in a month's time or anything, and she may well lose to Bertens who played outstandingly today. But Maria looks more present again, I think.

2. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Mladenovic has consistently trended downward since she made her run at the French last year; it’s a nice slice of revenge for Maria, but not exactly a statement.

If she were to make the final and win, I’d reconsider my left behind stance.

3. Rafa finally loses on clay. Maybe Roland Garros won't be a procession after all? (It will.)

Loving Petra's form right now.

londonrain likes this.
  4. Madrid is usually his least favourite/least easy tournament of the clay swing so I'm not surprised. I think it's good for him to lose there and get the monkey off his back and relieve some pressure and tension before Paris. Ideally Shapovalov will step up and take the title in his absence, or Thiem or Zverev. Watch it be Isner or Anderson now knowing my luck.

Pretty funny that Osaka has managed to draw Sharapova, Serena and Azarenka as a first round opponent in her last few tournaments. I don't think she can go 3/3 here though, and I hope she doesn't. Looking forward to seeing Vika take Halep on early in a tournament.

Totto likes this.
  5. Gosh Edmond's behaviour against Shapovalov in relation to someone calling out mid-Denis' serve was so bratty and petulant. He stopped after he'd hit the return firstly, but then to try turn it on Shapo and make him be the one to make the ultimate call rather than the umpire. Nothing irks me more than that. Take your gripes up with the umpire, the supervisor etc. but don't start on the other player in a situation where they can't reasonably be expected to have all the information.

The fact that British commentators refuse to ever call out whiny negativity in their own players doesn't help my irritability (see their treatment of Murray's outbursts versus their treatment of Novak's).

6. I hope Kiki can pull it of. Those Czech girls are very difficult to p lay against.

Even though Petra is one of my favorite players, I really want my Dutch Clay Queen to take this.

7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Nice draw for Wozniacki in Rome. Could lead to retaking the number 1 ranking.

Excited for Petra vs Bertens finals.

Totto likes this.
  8. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Watch Woz snag the Roland Garros #1 seed and draw Maria first round.

@Trousers, I'm delighted with your return to this thread, and your new woke attitude in siding with Novak for once!

I'm very curious to see the outcome of the women's final; Bertens has impressed me, but Petra is playing a higher level than any of Kiki's opponents.

Thrilled Thiem broke up the monotony of the men's clay season, if only for a week. It's time for him to bag one of these Masters 1000 events. Unfortunately, he's never beaten Anderson, his next opponent. I think Zverev is well proven at this point in best of three, so he may walk away with the title, but it's exciting to see Shapovalov standing his way. I love having some new blood on the ATP, it was beginning to look like an assisted living facility.

Trousers and Totto like this.
  9. Great women's final in Madrid. Petra could barely stand by the end. High quality match from both.

Onto Rome and it's the doubles draw which caught my eye - Venus playing with Madison and Svetlana with Karolina Pliskova.

londonrain likes this.
  10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Shame Thiem couldn't get the win.

londonrain likes this.
  11. Where were you during the great Pliskova emotional outburst of 2018?

Mike, londonrain and backstreetjoe like this.
  12. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Let's just say Pliskova is beyond lucky the Western media conglomerate could not give less of a shit about her, or else she'd be getting wall to wall coverage on her attitude and poor sportsmanship.

Anyway.

Rome is shaping up well; we're one round away from Ostapenko v. Sharapova @Trousers!

13. Madison Keys' record of retirements and walkovers is really quite worrying.

14. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I think the Madison we saw in 2016, someone growing into a week to week dominant force, was a pure Hogstedt creation. She's by far one of the most impressive young women off the court with the work she's doing to encourage young girls and build their self-confidence, and I'm definitely not writing her off to win big titles, but I don't think she'll ever be the player I wanted her to be.

15. Sharapova versus Ostapenko at long last. No idea how this one will go, but hopefully both girls are up for it. Solid tournament for Maria already. Third set grit, nice serving, disciplined aggression and vintage shade all on show. Also goes from no wildcard to clinching a seeding at Roland Garros almost exactly a year later. Curious that the French Open organisers forgot to livestream their (awful) wildcard selections this year incidentally.

Madison is the female Raonic in some ways, but she actually has way more game than him so it makes following her all the more frustrating. Once she dropped Hogstedt it became apparent to me that she didn't have it in her to become a real top player on a consistent basis. She doesn't have the drive she should. Such a pity. Osaka is another one I'm starting to worry about on that front. To win one game against Halep and say "She's number one so I'm not disappointed" is really not indicative of a champion's mindset. No way you'd have heard Serena/Venus/Maria/Vika etc say that after such a bad loss, even if they did lose to a dominant player on their best surface.

Speaking of which, I actually enjoyed Pliskova's outburst purely for the fact that it shows for once that she is human, and can get passionate and riled up out there. Channel that and use it positively!

Bummer that DelPo is supposedly not going to make RG after withdrawing today.

londonrain and backstreetjoe like this.
  16. The 2nd set of Kontaveit v Venus was very high quality from both. One of the best individual sets of tennis this year although Venus just fell away in the tie break.

17. Well my two favourites certainly didn't disappoint! Bit of a hate crime that the match occurred when I could only tune in for chunks here and there, but what a dramatic, gritty match. Good for both girls. Maria needed this. This and the Cibulkova win will have done wonders for her mental game. Really great to see a respectful handshake too.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  18. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Novak and Maria both in the semi finals!

19. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

My racket of over 10 years sadly is on it's very last days. Going to be demo some this next week but noooooooooo.