The 90's Billboard #1s Rate: 1990-1994 - #3 - FINAL TWO REVEALED... | Page 228 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 90's Billboard #1s Rate: 1990-1994 - #3 - FINAL TWO REVEALED...

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Not sure how this sounds like Dina Carroll but Emotions came first so…. yeah.

2. I am happy with this all things considered, wonder how far the Bison will take her final number...

Ironheade likes this.
  3. Well, the #11 was not my 11. I'm glad it didn't gatecrash the top 10.

Ironheade likes this.
  4. I think the Gass Mix (as it's credited on various Bowie releases) is the same as Fame 90. Fame 90 was kind of an all-encompassing remix thing to promote March 1990's Changesbowie, as you mention. The Gass Mix was just one of a few available on various formats, but it's the one they put on Changesbowie and then the Pretty Woman OST. Not really sure what the connection is, or whether it played any role in the soundtrack/film's overall promotion. In the UK at least, it was released a bit too early to tie in.

mung_bean likes this.
  5. Is that what they're called? I didn't realise they had a name.

Also, look at me not being the lowest scorer for Mariah again. I just might escape the rate villain tag this time.

Ironheade likes this.
  6. Don’t worry. Since @DJHazey actually likes Dreamlover, you’ll get your turn as the lowest scorer for that.

GimmeWork and Ironheade like this.
  7. Not sure about that. Someone's bound to have zeroed it.

8. If nobody zeroed Emotions, which contains all of the vocal showboating that the haters seem to dislike about Mariah, then I certainly hope nobody is tasteless enough to have zeroed Dreamlover, which is at worst inoffensive.

(For the record, it’s amazing. It’ll still be gone before the top five, though.)

mung_bean and berserkboi like this.
  9. General update:

1). Dream Guy is in fucking Emmerdale??? Hard pass.

2). I've never seen Pretty Woman. What a great film student I was.

3). Emotions at #11. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

marie_05, mung_bean and Eric Generic like this.
  10. I met him a few years ago in a Nightclub in Leeds. He was a bit arrogant but he's even better looking in the flesh.

phoenix123 likes this.
  11. Ray

Ray

[​IMG]

12. Well I think we've got a great top 10 - there's a couple I might have switched around, but 5 of the tracks left got at least a 10 from me, and only one got less than an 8. Good to see at least 1 song from every year in the final 10 too.

We don't seem to have lost that many 11s either - wonder if the averages will jump up a fair bit now?

13. Ray

Ray

Triggered.

GimmeWork and londonrain like this.
  14. The correct Mariah song remains, life is good.

DJHazey and GimmeWork like this.
  15. So! Like I say, I won't get up a writeup tonight, I'm going out. But it'll give me a bit of lead time to write, I suppose.

So let's have our last recap and meet our contenders in the top 10, shall we?

[​IMG]

First, we turn to Michael Jackson with “Black or White”, the sole survivor of MisandryJustice. But who knows... perhaps he might have it in him to turn the tide in the end and challenge the Big Four?

[​IMG]

And the first of that number is his baby sis! Janet is one of two artists to place two different singles in the top 10, the first being “Escapade”, the sole surviving single out of four from Rhythm Nation...

[​IMG]

...But perhaps the dance jams of that album will prove not to our voters' taste? Perhaps they prefer the more subtle R&B grooves of one of Janet's signature tunes, “That's the Way Love Goes”?

[​IMG]

And here comes the other artist to place two singles in the top 10 – Whitney Houston, with two ballads from The Bodyguard. First up is “I Have Nothing”, but it's a little overshadowed...

[​IMG]

… by, of course, “I Will Always Love You”. It'll be interesting to see if this one makes it further, or if it falls short in the end. But there's another diva on the horizon with her eye on the crown...

[​IMG]

Mariah Carey came in with eight singles, the most of any artist in this competition, but the bison herd is thinned, as only “Dreamlover” survived to make the top 10. But maybe that's all she needs...

[​IMG]

Last of the Big Four, but certainly not least, is Madonna. The voters tapped “Vogue” as a likely winner from the beginning... did it live up to those lofty expectations, or will it fall short?

[​IMG]

Of course, we have challengers other than the Big Pop Girls – such as Ace of Base with “The Sign”, for instance. This forum does like a bit of Scandipop... but does it like this bit?

[​IMG]

En Vogue also charge into the top 10, making R&BJustice very happy with “My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)”. But then there's the matter of the #1... are they ever ever gonna get it?

[​IMG]

Finally, holding it down for IndieJustice, there's Sinead O'Connor with “Nothing Compares 2 U”. But it's a ballad... so will it end up just another victim of WHERE THE BOPS THOUGH?

I must say, this is a rather good field, PopJustice! (I still have four 10's left, not bad going!) Predictions? What do you want to go first? What's your expected order? Answers on a postcard... and our first cut will be revealed tomorrow...​

16. Ace of Base / Mariah / Janet-with-Escapade top three, pretty please, and we are sooooooo overdue for a few more WHERE THE BOPS cuts!

17. Ace of Base / Janet-with-Escapade / Madonna Top 3 would suit me nicely.

Filippa and iheartpoptarts like this.
  18. I'll take a Mariah/Ace of Base/En Vogue Top 3 and nothing less.

19. 10. Ace of Base

9: Mariah Carey - Dreamlover
    8: Janet Jackson - That's The Way Love Goes

Anything could win from this:
    7: En Vogue - My Lovin'
    6: Whitney Houston - I Have Nothing
    5: Madonna - Vogue
    4: Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
    3: Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
    2: Janet Jackson - Escapade
    1: Michael Jackson - Black Or White

Filippa likes this.