The 90's Billboard #1s Rate: Part 1 (1990-1994 - FOUR WEEKS TO GET YOUR VOTES IN!) | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 90's Billboard #1s Rate: Part 1 (1990-1994 - FOUR WEEKS TO GET YOUR VOTES IN!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Nov 6, 2017.

1. HERE I AM NOW. ENTERTAIN ME.

[​IMG]

What's happening, ladies and gentlementlemen, it's ya boy Ironheade. The forum's Token Metalhead. Honorary Oldie. #StraightLadOfPopJustice. Discount @Laura Vanderbooben . And several other appellations that nobody actually ever calls me. ANYWAY. Last year, I ran a rate for every single Billboard Hot 1000 number one single of the 2000's, in two parts (go check it out HERE and HERE). And oh, man, weren't those some good times? Between the usual meltdowns over unjustly early eliminations ("Slow Jamz" woz robbed!), the odd bit of drama between members, the many tales of good and bad times soundtracked by these songs... and your host eventually having a mental breakdown right at the end and handing it over to @ohnostalgia for completion. (Once again, thank you kindly! I will now repay your generosity by continually shit-talking Canada. Don't worry, you'll see that it's justified when you read the list...) And now, upon my glorious return to the franchise in which I made my name, we're taking it back another decade: to the 90's. A decade, I am sure you will agree, that produced many iconic things (such as myself, for a start); of particular interest to us, that includes a buttload of awesome music. And we're going to look at what the citizens of 'MURICA decided was the awesomest over those ten years... but with a twist. This time, we're not just looking at songs that went to #1 on the overall Hot 100. I'll also be including songs that topped the Hot 100 Airplay chart, but not the overall chart. For you see, due to Billboard's chart rules at the time, singles that didn't have a physical release, which were dying out due to the dawn of the CD era, could not chart on the Hot 100 until 1998. The result was that, frequently, what topped the Hot 100 didn't reflect what was actually the most popular song in the States, and a lot of juggernauts missed out. So I figured: why not take a chance to right those grievous PopInjustices and shake things up a li'l bit?

But that's more of a trend that started in the middle of the decade, and we won't see quite as many airplay-only #1s in this first half: 1990-1994. And this, I think, is one of the more interesting times in the history of the Billboard charts, documenting a time of massive shifts in public taste. The first couple of years are basically still the 80's, with all the trends that you would think of for that time, but after that, it's all change. The new jack swing movement set out a new path for R&B, which would be supplanted within a couple of years by the hip-hop soul that informed the rest of the decade. Alternative rock had a massive breakthrough, after spending a few years just below the surface, and completely changed how popular rock would sound, while its lighter cousin, adult alternative, displaced straightforward adult contemporary. And the face of mainstream hip-hop got a lot more rugged, as hardcore gangsta rap completely took over, and not just in the underground either. The pop scenes of 1990 and 1994 are extremely different creatures, and I'm glad to get the chance to document this. Now, this is a time that I was barely around for; I was born in late 1994, and thus unfortunately cannot supply the personal reminiscences that make these rates so delightful. But I'm sure you guys will step into the breach, right?

Well, what are you waiting for? The beloved classics, the well-remembered jams of the day, the unfairly forgotten gems, the justly forgotten shitpiles, the infamous shitpiles, the fun but embarrassing period kitsch... all of it stands before you now. You have 95 songs to listen to, so get cracking!

DA ROOLZ
    -Listen to all of these songs, and give them each a score between 0 and 10. Half and quarter points are allowed, but no other decimals, and you can't have decimals over 10.
    -You each have access to a single 11 to bestow upon your absolute fave. Use it wisely!
    -PM your scores in to myself, with the songs in the order listed in the post below, by MIDNIGHT ON DECEMBER 16TH. Extensions may be considered in case of a low turnout.
    -Commentary is greatly encouraged. Try to beat my wordcount from the Sugababes rate!
    -Yes, I will be asking for guest hosts at some point, though probably no more than ten. So if you want a chance to tear apart a song or three, PM me and we'll make it work.
    -Try not to rip out your eardrums at some of these...

2. THE SONGS (IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER)
    Note: An asterisk before a song's name indicates that it was #1 on airplay, but not the Hot 100.
    PS. You can rate any version of the song that you can listen to on Youtube/Spotify/wherever, not just the ones linked here.

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST
    Note: "Good Vibrations", "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" and "I'd Die Without You" are not on Spotify. Some of these are also album versions rather than single edits, so pick your favourite version and go for it!

Another Day in Paradise – Phil Collins
    How Am I Supposed to Live Without You – Michael Bolton
    Opposites Attract – Paula Abdul and the Wild Pair
    Escapade – Janet Jackson
    Black Velvet – Alannah Myles
    Love Will Lead You Back – Taylor Dayne
    *Don't Wanna Fall in Love – Jane Child
    I'll Be Your Everything – Tommy Page
    Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O'Connor
    Vogue – Madonna
    Hold On – Wilson Phillips
    It Must Have Been Love – Roxette
    Step by Step – New Kids on the Block
    She Ain't Worth It – Glenn Medeiros feat. Bobby Brown
    Vision of Love – Mariah Carey
    *Come Back to Me – Janet Jackson
    If Wishes Came True – Sweet Sensation
    Blaze of Glory – Jon Bon Jovi
    Release Me – Wilson Phillips
    (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection – Nelson
    *Something Happened on the Way to Heaven – Phil Collins
    Close to You – Maxi Priest
    Praying for Time – George Michael
    I Don't Have the Heart – James Ingram
    Black Cat – Janet Jackson
    Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice
    Love Takes Time – Mariah Carey
    I'm Your Baby Tonight – Whitney Houston
    Because I Love You (The Postman Song) – Stevie B

Justify My Love – Madonna
    Love Will Never Do (Without You) – Janet Jackson
    The First Time – Surface
    Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) – C+C Music Factory feat. Freedom Williams
    All the Man That I Need – Whitney Houston
    Someday – Mariah Carey
    One More Try – Timmy T
    Coming Out of the Dark – Gloria Estefan
    I've Been Thinking About You – Londonbeat
    You're in Love – Wilson Phillips
    Baby Baby – Amy Grant
    Joyride – Roxette
    I Like the Way (The Kissing Game) – Hi-Five
    I Don't Wanna Cry – Mariah Carey
    More Than Words – Extreme
    Rush Rush – Paula Abdul
    Unbelievable – EMF
    Everything I Do (I Do It For You) – Bryan Adams
    The Promise of a New Day – Paula Abdul
    I Adore Mi Amor – Color Me Badd
    Good Vibrations – Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch feat. Loleatta Holloway
    Emotions – Mariah Carey
    Romantic – Karyn White
    Cream – Prince and the New Power Generation
    When a Man Loves a Woman – Michael Bolton
    Set Adrift on Memory Bliss – PM Dawn
    Black or White – Michael Jackson

All 4 Love – Color Me Badd
    Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me – Elton John and George Michael
    *I Love Your Smile - Shanice
    I'm Too Sexy – Right Said Fred
    To Be With You – Mr. Big
    *Remember the Time – Michael Jackson
    Save the Best for Last – Vanessa Williams
    Jump – Kris Kross
    *My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) – En Vogue
    I'll Be There – Mariah Carey
    Baby Got Back – Sir Mix-a-Lot
    This Used to Be My Playground – Madonna
    *Baby-Baby-Baby - TLC
    End of the Road – Boyz II Men
    How Do You Talk to an Angel – The Heights
    *I'd Die Without You – PM Dawn
    I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston

A Whole New World – Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle
    Informer – Snow
    *I Have Nothing – Whitney Houston
    Freak Me – Silk
    That's the Way Love Goes – Janet Jackson
    Weak – SWV
    Can't Help Falling in Love – UB40
    Dreamlover – Mariah Carey
    I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) – Meat Loaf
    Again – Janet Jackson
    Hero – Mariah Carey

All for Love – Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting
    The Power of Love – Celine Dion
    *Breathe Again – Toni Braxton
    The Sign – Ace of Base
    Bump n' Grind – R. Kelly
    I Swear – All-4-One
    *Don't Turn Around – Ace of Base
    Stay (I Missed You) – Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories
    I'll Make Love to You – Boyz II Men
    On Bended Knee – Boyz II Men
    Here Comes the Hotstepper – Ini Kamoze

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  3. Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 8:31 PM
  4. I am excited to rate all these power ballads!

Ironheade likes this.
  5. Yeah, I predict some... interesting commentary for some of these.

Tagging round coming tomorrow, by the way, so be prepared.

6. I think it'll be super entertaining.

And honestly, there are a number of true gems on the list--Cream, Remember the Time, all of the Janet and Madonna songs. Choosing an 11 could actually be a struggle!

Ironheade likes this.
  7. I'm so here for the 90s party. Love y'all!

2014, Ironheade and londonrain like this.

8. Oooh, do we each get to choose a '90s character pictured here to represent us during the reveals?

I know who I'd choose (if I end up doing this)...but poor @iheartpoptarts would have to make the agonizing choice between Britney and Baby Spice (and the Pink Power Ranger?)...

9. Pink Ranger pretty please! I've been Baby Spice, and nobody wants to be my Justin Timberlake.

saviodxl and Mina like this.
  10. Fair enough! My obvious choice would be:

[​IMG]

saviodxl and iheartpoptarts like this.
  11. I had to hit "Search Google for image" on that, not gonna lie!

Mina likes this.
  12. One of my favorite shows growing up - she was one of my childhood idols!

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  13. Ray

Ray

So many 11s!!!!!
    So many 0s!!!!!

Please make a Spotify playlist, someone less lazy than me.

Ironheade and londonrain like this.
  14. K94

K94

I'm in - so many iconic bops (like Informer).

15. 2014

2014 Moderator

I'M READY.

K94, londonrain and Ironheade like this.
  16. I feel Informer is going to be one of the more divisive songs. Those of us who bopped to it at the time probably see it quite differently from the people experiencing it for the first time in 2017...

KingBruno, K94 and Ironheade like this.
  17. Okay, I just quickly rated the songs I know best and I’ve already given out 11 nines, 23 tens and an eleven. Oops.

(I hope you people like long commentary.)

Ray and Ironheade like this.
  18. Oleander and GimmeWork like this.