The 90's Billboard Hot 100 and Airplay #1's Rate: Part 2 (1995-1999) - VOTING CLOSES APRIL 14 | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 90's Billboard Hot 100 and Airplay #1's Rate: Part 2 (1995-1999) - VOTING CLOSES APRIL 14

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Mar 3, 2018.

1. I agree that Britney circa now is overrated, but let's not try to rewrite pop history like Britney at her bubblegum peak didn't rule the world.
    2014, Ironheade, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  2. I was Team Xtina back then though.
  3. I liked both and therefore had more fun than you. xx
  4. I had totally forgotten Genie In A Bottle was in this. Evergreen pop banger.
  5. I also don't hate Baby but it was not my favourite from Britney's first album. Gimme Born To Make You Happy and I would be in the front row with @iheartpoptarts throwing points at her!
  6. Around the time that Christina and Britney were battling, this was the sort of thing in the UK charts:

I have no real comment to make, I just wanted to post some dance music. I actually wanted to post Elementfour, but that was released in 2000.
  7. This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but the single versions of both "You Were Meant for Me" and "Foolish Games" (the versions in the linked videos) are different from the versions that appear on Pieces of You (the versions on the Spotify list).

It's not so noticeable with "You Were Meant for Me" (the single version just sounds more polished) but the single release of "Foolish Games" is a minute and a half shorter than the album version and omits a whole verse. I actually prefer the album version with its longer outro because I think it's quite beautiful, but I feel like the single version will get kinder scores from people unfamiliar with the song.

I had no idea I still cared this much about Jewel, but I guess I want to see her succeed here!
    əʊæ, saviodxl, londonrain and 2 others like this.
  8. She should actually succeed. You Were Meant For Me is stunning!
  9. I noticed this when I bought the album and found these relatively raw album versions compared to the ones I’d been hearing on MTV.

@Ironheade, the radio edit of Foolish Games is on Spotify - it’s the one on her Greatest Hits.
  10. That was actually an intentional thing. General rule of thumb for songs: album versions are on the Spotify playlist, single/radio/video edits are in the video links. I figured that people could rate whichever one took their fancy the most.
  11. Too bad we’re not doing a rate of Hot 100 #20s that are supposed to be about resisting the power of marketing, but were then licensed to a major consumer products company for a huge ad campaign, because Jewel would totes deserve that win.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. I love that album. Sweet Temptation and Yes U Can are both huge bangers.
    WowWowWowWow and londonrain like this.
  13. That Third Eye Blind song was in every 90s teen movie ever and until now I never knew what it was.
    iheartpoptarts and Ironheade like this.
  14. This is the era that I grew up and discovered pop music in, so I am going to have so many feelings about so many of these songs. I'll try and hold back on a ...Baby One More Time essay.
  15. Ray

...Baby One More Essay
    ...Baby One More Autobiography
    ...Baby One More Perfume
    ...Baby One More Gym

So many possibilities! Get on it, Britney's team.
    GimmeWork and londonrain like this.
  16. Had this been in the rate it could have tempted me from the 11 I chose! Gawd I love this song so much!
    əʊæ, br0dy, marie_05 and 3 others like this.
  17. Please don't!... Hold back that is!

18. No exaggeration, this is one of my favourite songs of all time. It's just perfect.

Although I'm glad it's not in the rate, as that would have made an already tough choice even harder.
  19. Don't Let Go definitely would have been my 11. I'm not sure if it's the greatest girlband song ever, but it's certainly a strong contender. What a triumph, I can't believe it missed the top spot!
    GimmeWork, berserkboi, əʊæ and 2 others like this.
  20. This is basically how I felt about My Lovin’ in Part 1, so my choice of 11 was an easy one.

This time around my choice is hard enough without Don’t Let Go in the mix...
    GimmeWork, berserkboi and marie_05 like this.