◢ ◤ The Avicii Discography Rate ◢ ◤ 10 DAYS LEFT - Votes due 11:59 PM UK Time May 31 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

◢ ◤ The Avicii Discography Rate ◢ ◤ 10 DAYS LEFT - Votes due 11:59 PM UK Time May 31

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mina, May 6, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    Welcome to the Popjustice Avicii discography rate.

Tim Bergling - best known by his stage name, Avicii - was one of the most well-known DJs and prolific producers of the 2010s until his untimely death in April 2018 at the age of 28. Originally from Sweden, he’s most commonly associated with making the electronic dance music (EDM) and progressive house genres more mainstream, but his musical inclinations also include elements of pop, folk, soul, country, and many other genres. We’ve probably all been exposed to the likes of Wake Me Up and Waiting for Love ad nauseum, but there’s substantial breadth and depth to his musical output that’s definitely worth a listen, and so I hope you’ll join me on this journey.

For this discography rate, I’ve chosen 46 representative songs spanning Avicii’s output from 2010 to 2018 - these include his two full-length albums, True (2013) and Stories (2015), his EPs, a smattering of his most well-known pre-2013 hits, and selected collaborations with prominent pop and dance acts. Outside of the songs released under the Avicii banner, over the span of his 10-year career, he wrote for, produced for, and collaborated the likes of Coldplay, David Guetta, Madonna, Sia (if the rumors are true), newly-minted PJ Queen Rita Ora, and many more.

We might think of EDM as superficial, lyrically-sparse, beat-driven music meant to be played in the background at clubs, but this represents only a small fraction of Avicii’s total output. To the contrary, much of his music is the farthest thing from superficial - it’s introspective, complex, soulful, sometimes uplifting, and at times fatalistic. Avicii’s struggles with mental health issues and substance abuse were known even before his death. His story is one that’s eerily similar to so many people who are thrust into the spotlight suddenly and have difficulty coping with the pressure to keep being successful in their craft and in other aspects of their life. One could postulate that he expressed his feelings vicariously through the songs he wrote and co-wrote:

“They tell me I'm too young to understand
    They say I'm caught up in a dream
    Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
    Well that's fine by me”

(Wake Me Up)

“I'm from a place where we never openly show our emotions
    We drown our sorrows in bottomless bottles and leave them to float in the ocean”

(Somewhere in Stockholm)

“He said, 'One day you'll leave this world behind
    So live a life you will remember.'"

(The Nights)

“Staring at the billboard from the bus
    Looking at the faces, thinking that could be any one of us
    So give me hope, give me hope, give me hope on this lonely ride
    'Cause I know one day, I will be the one in the sky”

(Sunset Jesus)

"I've seen the darkness in the light
    The kind of blue that leaves you lost and blind
    The only thing that's black and white
    Is that you don't have to walk alone this time"

(Broken Arrows)

So what are we rating?

The Song List

[​IMG]
    Pre-2013 Hits (4 tracks)
    1. Seek Bromance (2010)
    2. Fade Into Darkness (2011)
    3. Levels (2011)
    4. Silhouettes (2012)

[​IMG]
    True (2013) (13 tracks)
    1. Wake Me Up lyric video | official video
    2. You Make Me lyric video | official video
    3. Hey Brother lyric video | official video
    4. Addicted to You lyric video | official video
    5. Dear Boy
    6. Liar Liar
    7. Shame on Me
    8. Lay Me Down
    9. Hope There’s Someone
    10. Heart Upon My Sleeve album version (instrumental only) | vocal edit
    11. Always on the Run (bonus)
    12. Long Road to Hell (bonus)
    13. All You Need is Love (bonus)

[​IMG]
    The Days/The Nights EP (2014) (2 tracks)
    1. The Days lyric video
    2. The Nights lyric video | official video

[​IMG]
    Stories (2015) (14 tracks) - my album spotlight
    1. Waiting for Love lyric video | official video
    2. Talk to Myself lyric video
    3. Touch Me lyric video
    4. Ten More Days lyric video
    5. For a Better Day official video
    6. Broken Arrows lyric video | official video
    7. True Believer lyric video
    8. City Lights lyric video
    9. Pure Grinding official video
    10. Sunset Jesus lyric video
    11. Can’t Catch Me lyric video
    12. Somewhere in Stockholm lyric video
    13. Trouble lyric video
    14. Gonna Love Ya lyric video

[​IMG]
    Avīci (01) EP (2017) (6 tracks) - my album spotlight
    1. Friend of Mine ft. Vargas & Lagola lyric video | official video
    2. Lonely Together ft. Rita Ora lyric video | official video
    3. You Be Love ft. Billy Raffoul lyric video | official video
    4. Without You ft. Sandro Cavazza lyric video
    5. What Would I Change It To ft. AlunaGeorge lyric video
    6. Sandro Cavazza - So Much Better (Avicii remix)

[​IMG]
    Select Collaborations (6 tracks)
    1. w/ Nadia Ali - Rapture (Avicii New Generation Remix) (2010)
    2. w/ Armin van Buuren ft. Laura V - Drowning (Avicii Remix) (2011)
    3. w/ Leona Lewis - Collide (2011)
    4. w/ Nicky Romero - I Could Be the One (2012) | acoustic version
    5. w/ Benny & Bjorn - We Write the Story - Official Anthem of Eurovision 2013
    6. w/ Madonna - Rebel Heart (demo)

[​IMG]
    Extras (1 track)
    1. Feeling Good (2015) official video

Grand total: 46 tracks

Spotify playlist
    Does not include:
    Heart Upon My Sleeve vocal edit (the instrumental version is on the Spotify playlist)
    Always on the Run
    Long Road to Hell
    We Write the Story

Rebel Heart (demo)

Pre-2013 Hits
    1. Seek Bromance
    2. Fade Into Darkness
    3. Levels
    4. Silhouettes

True (2013)
    1. Wake Me Up
    2. You Make Me
    3. Hey Brother
    4. Addicted to You
    5. Dear Boy
    6. Liar Liar
    7. Shame on Me
    8. Lay Me Down
    9. Hope There’s Someone
    10. Heart Upon My Sleeve
    11. Always on the Run
    12. Long Road to Hell
    13. All You Need is Love

The Days/The Nights EP
    1. The Days
    2. The Nights

Stories (2015)
    1. Waiting for Love
    2. Talk to Myself
    3. Touch Me
    4. Ten More Days
    5. For a Better Day
    6. Broken Arrows
    7. True Believer
    8. City Lights
    9. Pure Grinding
    10. Sunset Jesus
    11. Can’t Catch Me
    12. Somewhere in Stockholm
    13. Trouble
    14. Gonna Love Ya

Avīci (01) EP (2017)
    1. Friend of Mine ft. Vargas & Lagola
    2. Lonely Together ft. Rita Ora
    3. You Be Love ft. Billy Raffoul
    4. Without You ft. Sandro Cavazza
    5. What Would I Change It To ft. AlunaGeorge
    6. Sandro Cavazza - So Much Better (Avicii remix)

Select Collaborations
    1. w/ Nadia Ali - Rapture (Avicii New Generation Remix)
    2. w/ Armin van Buuren ft. Laura V - Drowning (Avicii Remix)
    3. w/ Leona Lewis - Collide
    4. w/ Nicky Romero - I Could Be the One
    5. w/ Benny & Bjorn - We Write the Story
    6. w/ Madonna - Rebel Heart (demo)

Extras
    1. Feeling Good

Q&A:
    Q: An EDM rate? On MY Popjustice?!?
    A: Avicii may have started out as an EDM producer, but there are actually many genres and genre influences represented in the songs I’ve chosen - including pop, soul, blues, folk, country, and others. I’d suggest listening to some of his later work first to get a sense for this.

Q: A male-predominant vocal rate? On MY Popjustice?!?
    A: I’ve tried to balance this out with my song picks. 16/46 of these songs have female vocals. (Your ballot may be rejected if these 16 are the only decent scores you give.)

Q: Why didn’t you include (insert random Avicii song here)?
    A: I purposely didn’t include Avicii’s entire discography here. What I left out: all instrumental-only songs, random remixes, and unofficial releases. Out of his many, many collaborations with high profile acts, I chose 6 representative tracks that appeal to various PJ demographic groups. My ultimate goal was to curate a song list that’s accessible (read: not too long/overwhelming) for everyone, contains a wide variety of genres (not just EDM!), and is as much “all killer, no filler” as possible.

How does this all work?:
    • You must provide scores for all 46 songs. Commentary is welcome but not required.
    • You may rate any version of each song you’d like, including remixes that I haven’t posted. On the song list and Spotify playlist I’m including only the most widespread release (the radio edit, the album version, etc.).
    • You may rate each song on a scale from 0-10. You may use up to one decimal place in rendering your scores. If you must rate in the form of mathematical equations (i.e. √8.7, 0.25*π*8.7, ln8.7^1.2), please solve your equations and provide me the answers in the form of integers that are real numbers and fit in the data set {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}.
    • You may award your one most favorite song out of these 46 your coveted 11. Choose wisely, and pray to the rate gods that I don’t tank it with my score.
    • Once you've finished your ballot, send it to me in a private message (click on my username and select "Start a Conversation"). You're welcome to post your averages (overall, and/or broken down by section) in the thread, but please don't list your scores for individual songs or post what your 11 is in the thread.

Timeline:

Voting deadline: Thursday, May 31, at 11:59 PM British Summer Time/6:59 PM US Eastern Time/3:59 PM US Pacific Time (8:59 AM Eastern Australia Summer Time on Friday, June 1)

So that’s 26 days, or just under 4 weeks, to score 46 songs with a playtime of around 3 hours. This is on par with the voting periods of PJ song contests which also run around 40-50 songs. Broken down evenly, if you start on May 6, that’s 1.8 songs per day you’d have to rate to finish by the deadline - totally doable.

There will be NO voting extensions.

Reveals will start on Friday, June 1 (US time) and adhere to the following general schedule:
    • 2 reveals per day from Friday, June 1 - Monday, June 18, to take us from #46 to #11
    • 1 reveal per day from Tuesday, June 19 - Tuesday, June 26 to take from #10 to #3
    • Finale on or around Wednesday, June 27

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 11:22 PM
  2. Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM
  3. Also reserved.

4. Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 12:58 AM
    Eric, Empty Shoebox, Rem and 5 others like this.
  5. This will be so good.
    Alot of PJers don't realise how many amazing songs he was connected to.

Lapras, Mina and berserkboi like this.
  6. Thank you again for doing this @Mina

7. [​IMG]

@Empty Shoebox ha impact.

8. My decades of forced mathematical education, ha impact.

9. I think my brain has successfully erased all of my knowledge of calculus. I can't say I miss it.

Empty Shoebox and Mina like this.
  10. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@2014
    @4Roses
    @-scott-
    @A$AP Robbie
    @aboutyounow

A$AP Robbie and londonrain like this.
  11. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@agnete
    @Aidan
    @aleksssa
    @AlisodoTheBambino
    @AmericanMoney

londonrain likes this.
  12. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@An Insider
    @Animalia
    @aniraz
    @andru
    @Andy French

londonrain and Andy French like this.
  13. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@Ashling92
    @AshtrayHeart
    @Bangers&Bops
    @bazayer
    @Beginner

AshtrayHeart likes this.
  14. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@Beyond Curiosity
    @BikeThief
    @Blayke
    @blaze_dave
    @Blob

londonrain likes this.
  15. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@Blond
    @Blue6010
    @bluesunlight
    @Bobbyrae
    @Booers

Blue6010, Blond and londonrain like this.
  16. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@CarlysAngel
    @ChaosDevil
    @Charmander
    @chrisconfessed

londonrain likes this.
  17. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@Conan
    @Connect4
    @Creguk
    @dancingwithmyself

londonrain likes this.
  18. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@dangerouswoman
    @davidbesan
    @Dear Diary Stan
    @decomposition
    @Dennis

londonrain likes this.
  19. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@Diet Pop!
    @digitalkaiser
    @DiscoRobot
    @DMDR
    @dodoriazarbon

londonrain likes this.
  20. I’d love it if you could participate in this Avicii discography rate! It’s only 46 songs (so not comprehensive, and a great-but-not-overwhelming introduction if you’ve only heard a handful of his songs before), but I’ve included all of Avicii’s best-known songs, his two studio albums and his latest EP, as well as a handful of prominent collaborations with Rita Ora, Madonna, Benny & Bjorn of ABBA, and others. The voting deadline is May 31.

@Drew
    @Dr Pop
    @DreamlessNights
    @eddy2375
    @ElectricPlatypus

londonrain likes this.