The Disney Classics Rate (Song #13 | Film #12a) | Page 148 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Disney Classics Rate (Song #13 | Film #12a)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. I know I shouldn't but I need to cos it's cheaper than the therapy I will be needing after all my Disney faves keep going.

*prays for my 11*

HollyDunnSomething likes this.
  2. 2014

2014 Moderator

I should've given this my 11 but I thought it wouldn't need it! Y'all can be shit.

3. It was a 10 from me! I was expecting top 3 honestly.

4. Are we getting another elimination soon @Animalia?

5. Yes ma'am!​

After the drama of Poor Unfortunate Souls, Frozen and I Won’t Say (I’m In Love), I hope y’all wont mind if I kick this one out relatively… unceremoniously.

[​IMG]

= 14th

[​IMG]

The Aristocats (1970)

5 Points: @Aester
    4 Points: @Sprockrooster
    2 Points: @funkyg
    1 Point: @iheartpoptarts

You guys want the tea? Cats beat dogs, any day of the week. In a culture where every AAA action-adventure video game has to have a dog sidekick if it wants to sell; where my family have a whatsapp group dedicated to sharing photos of dogs we see around when collectively we have three cats and zero dogs; where a dog rating twitter has more of a following than most popstars could ever dream of; cats remain completely, utterly unbothered. Why? ‘cause they know. They know those unhygienic, attention-seeking mutts could never match their level of grace, dexterity and poise. Dogs are uncoordinated, messy tyrants who demand the obsessive attention and adoration of all those around them while doing absolutely nothing to deserve it. Dogs are Taylor Swift. Cats maintain an aura of unwavering superiority and elegance at all times, leaving people with no choice but to love and respect them through their unattainable level of talent and beauty. Cats are Beyoncé. Do you really want to be that person? Come on now.

[​IMG]

So surely, a Disney film following the hoity-toity, well-to-do lives of the feline bourgeoisie should be a dream, right? … Eh. I’m sorry to say that amazing title pun aside, The Aristocats is one of those Classics that always leaves me feeling decidedly whelmed. It’s got a fair few things going for it, don’t get me wrong – the background art is gorgeous, the voice acting is on point and the Gaga stan in me feels obligated to pretend I enjoy the jazz soundtrack – but nothing in there really grabs me by the neck and forces me into submission, y’know? It’s just quite nice. Which to be fair, given some of the films we’ve said goodbye to before now, isn’t actually that harsh an assessment. I’m glad some of you guys have built a proper attachment to The Aristocats though, it’s got such a unique style and personality to it, ‘twould have been a shame to see it go unappreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Yeah. This is one of my least favourite Disney flicks - animation better than The Jungle Book but still not quite up to par, a useless villain, and an overall feeling that something has gone terribly wrong behind the scenes (lack of direction after Walt's death, perhaps?). The only bit I really like is the bonkers psychedelic bit of "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat".

Great writeup as usual @Animalia ... But that dog shade got me like
    [​IMG]

(Sorry, cats. I mean, you're OK and all, but you make me sneeze.)

7. Gagged at the thought that I apparently stan Beyonce over Taylor Swift.

8. I am firmly a dog person, but if you give me a movie about a woman leaving her fortune to her Eva Gabor-voiced cat, featuring a drunk British duck, a playboy tomcat with Phil Harris's voice, a Winnie-the-Pooh-soundalike mouse detective, literal jazz cats, and a number as insane as "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat," well, I'm going to love it. It is so absolutely ridiculous, I just can't help but be charmed by it. I do get why people think it's lesser Disney, but I don't know, the goofiness and "what the hell, let's try this" quality appeals to me. The drunk Uncle Waldo scene, in particular, is my one of my favorite things ever ("Being British, I would have preferred sherry"). I'm amazed Disney allowed it.

I really did not expect anyone else to vote for The Aristocats, so it's nice to see that it made to #14 with three other voters who get it!

9. [​IMG]

10. Poor Taylor's cats.

11. [​IMG]

@Ironheade Just kidding. I'm actually a dog person too. I like cats just fine but it's a crap-shoot. You could end up with a great cat that's friendly and social but more likely you'll end up a typical cat that's selfish, lazy and good for nothing

Animalia and Mina like this.
  12. I appreciate how @Mina-centric this thread has become as of late.

ohnostalgia, funkyg, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

14. Will your 11 make it into the Top 10 though? Hmmmmm.

Speaking of which, let's have some predictions on which three songs/films won't make the cut!

Songs

Part of Your World
    Under The Sea

Belle
    Be Our Guest
    Beauty & The Beast

A Whole New World
    Circle of Life
    I Just Can't Wait To Be King

Colours of the Wind
    Zero To Hero
    Reflection
    I'll Make A Man Out Of You

How Far I'll Go / I Am Moana

Films

Sleeping Beauty
    One Hundred and One Dalmatians
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty & The Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Lilo & Stitch
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Zootopia

15. [​IMG]

Let's just dump "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" next, OK?

16. The songs I expect (hope actually ddd) to fall:

Under the Sea
    Be Our Guest
    I Am Moana
    Zero to Hero (mostly because of the 0 @DJHazey gave it)

Films:

Probably all of my remaining choices, kii.

Sprockrooster, DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  17. No real opinion on which songs to dump. But as far as films, I'd personally choose Hercules, Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia to go.

18. Films: Sleeping Beauty, Lilo & Stitch/Emporer's New Groove, and Wreck-It-Ralph.

Songs: Under the Sea, Zero to Hero, I'll Make a Man Out of You/I Just Can't Wait to Be King.

19. 2014

2014 Moderator

Get Belle and How Far I'll Go out for songs, and Lilo & Stitch needs to get tf out!

Animalia likes this.
  20. None of my films have gone yet!