The Disney Classics Rate (Top 20 Songs | Film #21a) | Page 126 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Disney Classics Rate (Top 20 Songs | Film #21a)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. I've never taken to Hakuna Matata. There's just something incredibly unlikable about the song...

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I enjoy it but it's my least favourite Lion King song.
    It's just the token overrated 'funny' song, just like Bare Necessities. (Is that still in? Kill it with fire!)

3. You're completely correct and that's probably why I've never liked it.

Animalia and Mina like this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Also, sorry Hakuna Matata, but Timon & Pumbaa peaked here:

funkyg, Animalia, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  5. It's like my depression knew and made this an awful day in preparation. I don't have the energy to talk about how beautiful Just Around the Riverbend is, but I'll just say it's spirit is where I'd like to get back to one day, for sure.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Animalia, Mvnl, constantino and 6 others like this.
  6. [​IMG]

So sorry @ohnostalgia

Here I was nervous they were gonna go for Moana or Mulan next thinking Pocahontas would be safe.

How is it that we only have 1 Pocahontas song left, 2 Aladdin songs left and The Lion King hasn't even lost 1 song?!?! One better go soon because if you all put all of The Lion King it the top 20 we'll have some issues!

funkyg, Animalia, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  7. Well, don't I feel bad for my score now... I know that feeling, hope you're doing OK.

Animalia, Mina and ohnostalgia like this.
  8. My Mom has a 6, an 8, two 9s, three 9.5s and fifteen 10s, plus her 11 left.

She wanted to re-watch Moana this weekend, so I will be seeing it for the first time. (I wanted to see it anyway because of the rave reviews here and liking the songs from it, plus I had "bargained" with her to re-watch Logan one of my favorite movies of the year thus far.)

Animalia, alanmr and Ironheade like this.
  9. Your mom is a very generous scorer.

Animalia, alanmr and DJHazey like this.
  10. So I got bogged down with other stuff yesterday, was all ready to start working on this today and then...

@kalonite comes home with a Switch??? Generous, but rude. Lemme try bash out the next elimination while watching him play Zelda.

11. @kalonite
    [​IMG]

12. HELLO LET'S DO THIS

I hope you're feeling better @ohnostalgia...

= 25th

[​IMG]

The Princess & The Frog (2009)

2 Points: @GimmeWork, @ohnostalgia

Aw, I feel a wee bit bad about this one. I can’t help but feel it deserves a little better than to flounder in a Pinocchio and [REDACTED] tie sandwich in the middling leagues. There’s so much heart and soul poured into every aspect of The Princess & The Frog, it’s just a really enjoyable, heart-warming little film. It was definitely a turning point for Disney, too: I mean, no offence to ‘em, but the so-called “Classics” the studio had been churning out for a good seven years or so prior to this one had been… lacking, to put it lightly. It was time for a change, and it was change we got. Or, rather, revision; the tried and tested dream team of Ron Clements and John Musker were put back in the directors’ chair(s) for the first time since Treasure Planet, to make Disney’s first traditionally 2D-animated feature since Home on the Range, which happened to be a Broadway-musical based on a fairy tale, for the first time since the Renaissance. And you know what? It bloody worked. The easiest path is often the most travelled, but that doesn’t mean it has to be a boring cliché; The Princess and the Frog manages to stick to Disney’s trusty formula close enough, while putting enough of its own wee twists on the format to keep things fresh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a start, Tiana isn’t your stereotypical, run-of-the-mill Disney Princess. All credit and respect to the studio for finally delivering a long-overdue African American protagonist, but it wasn’t all smooth sailing to get there. Testing groups had to gently persuade Disney to rename the film from "The Frog Princess", and the princess herself went through some changes too; she was originally named “Maddy” and worked as a maid, which obviously was a bit of a choice in a few respects, and so thankfully she became “Tiana” the waitress. Good idea, shaky execution, but a decent landing. To be honest, I’ve mentioned in the thread before that I’m not actually a huge fan of her character, but that's just a matter of personal taste. It’s a refreshing, much-needed change to see such an ambitious, headstrong leading female in a film like this, but I think they took her serious streak a wee bitsy too far, and she fluctuates between cringe-worthy and borderline unlikeable for a good chunk of the film as a result. It balances out though, ‘cause Naveen’s a bit of an arse too. It’s a shame the protagonists fall kinda flat for me, because they have a damn fantastic villain on the other side. Dr Facilier is incredible: his scrawny-yet-menacing design, his voice, the fortune telling ploy, his voice, those creepy-ass shadowmen, his voice. I just love that they didn’t shy away from the underground black magic/voodoo vibe, it all just works perfectly. And of course, what would a homosexual review of this film be without some love for queen Charlotte LaBouff? Truly the peoples’ princess of this tale.

[​IMG]

Welp I guess I should wrap up. The Princess & The Frog is a great film. Is it an incredible film? That’s up for debate, I’d say. Of course, the more diverse representation we see in Disney films, the better, and the 2D animation is a really gorgeous, perfectly executed tribute to the studio’s peak, but there are a few roadblocks standing in the way of me loving it as much as I really want to. Maybe the fairy tale itself just isn’t the most exciting, or the characters aren’t quite as endearing, or the soundtrack isn’t as instantly memorable and evocative – something’s holding it back from hitting the proper heights we know the studio can reach. But it’s an unassuming, underrated little gem in the pantheon of Disney classics, and one everyone should make an effort to watch at least once. Oprah’s in it, goddammit. That’s gotta be worth something.

[​IMG]

funkyg, Daniel!, Robsolete and 15 others like this.

13. [​IMG]

14. TASTE!!!! The rest of y'all need to get some. (just kidding I love you all but seriously hasn't this poor movie been through enough?!?)

I just can't with this ground breaking, business owning, saving the prince, gay alligator befriending, Kelly Rowland looking beauty of a princess not getting more than just two voters!?!?! The animation is gorgeous, the songs are top notch, and the supporting characters are hilarious. It sticks to the Disney formula of a princess movie while shattering it at the same time.

Even beyond being the first and long over due black princess, instead of trying to go to a ball or be with a prince, she was trying to be a business woman in the 1920's in Jim Crow fucking USA. Oh and she saved the spoiled, lazy, playboy prince.

I'm going away until tomorrow I can't deal...

[​IMG]

15. The Princess and the Frog, hey? This one was top 20 on my giant list, and it's in a close-run battle with The Emperor's New Groove for being the best Disney movie of the 2000's. It's essentially a Disney-fanboy boutique project on Lasseter's part, and all the better for it - he knows exactly what made the old animated classics tick and what made them look so amazing, and the flaws of the later movies of his era (overly long, convoluted plotting, heavy-handed messages) hadn't set in yet. He even managed to do without the awful comic relief! Now do another traditionally animated movie, dammit.

16. Princess in the Frog is fucking dreadful.

Edit: I'm keeping the typo.

Animalia, Ironheade and send photo like this.
  17. And now, a break from your regularly-scheduled programming as we await the return of @Animalia :

[​IMG]

Mina's Current Hit List
    (songs rated ≤7)
    Be Our Guest
    Prince Ali
    I Just Can't Wait to Be King
    Be Prepared
    Hakuna Matata
    The Gospel Truth
    Zero to Hero
    I Won't Say (I'm In Love)
    Let It Go​

GimmeWork, LKane and Animalia like this.
  18. You gave less than 7 to Zero to Hero, I Won't Say (I'm In Love), Let It Go, I Just Can't Wait To Be King and Hakuna Matata? Hmm you're lucky there's no Little Mermaid songs in that list. I wouldn't mind saying goodbye to Be Prepared though.

Animalia and Mina like this.
  19. In retrospect, I overscored "Kiss the Girl." I was clearly forgetting this atrocious cover:

Animalia likes this.
  20. Nnnn I got shown The Princess and the Frog by some Disney-mad friends of mine and before it started they were like 'we know exactly who your fave is gonna be'. Clocked.

GimmeWork, Animalia and alanmr like this.