The Disney Classics Rate (Top 20 Songs | Film #21a) | Page 128 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Disney Classics Rate (Top 20 Songs | Film #21a)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Serving up the Poot, I love it! Definitely the Illuminati's Demi replacement.

I'll end by saying something nice: I enjoy the lyrical tweaks made in Demi's "Let It Go" cover - probably better lyrics than the original.

2. Aw I was expecting it to go way earlier so I can't complain with it going now.

3. @Animalia I love this rate so much but had to update my avatar, I couldn't resist showing people how pretty I looked at London Pride this year.

GimmeWork, munro, send photo and 3 others like this.
  4. 2014

2014 Moderator

YAS so good to see Let It Go go!

send photo, Animalia and Mina like this.
  5. Well, Here We Go Again and Don't Forget to lesser extent are teen-pop perfection. She has continually lost her way since, despite still pumping out some incredible highs along the way though I do enjoy most of her last two albums (hate most of Unbroken). I used to be a bit more of stan than I am now, but I'll always have her back.

6. I don't necessarily dislike her, but I'm not a huge fan, although I'll admit she can serve a good bop every once in a while. Kingdom Come is a 10 to me.

GimmeWork, Animalia and DJHazey like this.
  7. Oh no shade intended, I just wasn't expecting to see her name mentioned! I'm still mad I joined the forum after voting for your Avril rate closed, I'm With You was robbed.

funkyg, constantino, Mina and 5 others like this.
  8. She stans trash, we been knew x

alanmr likes this.
  9. OK but now you've waived your right to complain about screechy vocals with regards to "Zero to Hero".

(I kid, mostly, I like some of Demi's tunes.)

alanmr, Animalia and DJHazey like this.
  10. Not all that surprised that Let It Go didn't make the top 20. I mean it's likely to win Disney song rates for decades to come that are run by the younger generation (I mean can you imagine how iconic a song that was this popular when you were 5 yrs old would be to you when you're 20?) so it's nice that our older taste get's to put it in it's place while we can.

11. Whoop, y'all did Let It Go bit dirty.

GimmeWork, DJHazey, Animalia and 2 others like this.
  12. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Let It Go not being the top 21st century song feels wrong. How Far I'll Go is just alright. I am Moana is excellent though.

I am really glad the Disney version was the one that became hit. Most of pop cover ones in 90's were a bit pointless.

Animalia and Ironheade like this.
  13. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I'd say Beauty & The Beast, A Whole New World and most of all Colours Of The Wind were pretty much classics in their own right in their single version.

funkyg, GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  14. Let's not forget

(But I still prefer Queen Lea's version.)

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

That was okay but had (at least over here) zero impact whatsoever.

Animalia and Mina like this.
  16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I'm only really here for Colors of the Wind for the pop version's. The others mention are various degrees of fine but I would rather listen to the Disney one by far.

Animalia and Mina like this.
  17. It's the end of an era.

But which one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once Upon A Dream

Highest Score: 10 x9 (@Serg., @Sideout, @iheartpoptarts, @ephemeralartery, @Aester, @Sprockrooster, @MollieSwift21, @GhettoPrincess, @MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 4 x1 (@Subwaykid), 5 x1 (@Epic Chocolat)
    My Score: 7

Okay but I was mad to see this do so well ‘cause this is my favourite gif border and I couldn’t wait to post it ddd, slé my colour-coordinated fairy queens! Once Upon A Dream really did put up a surprisingly good fight for such a low-key old school lullaby though; it managed to climb as high as #14 at one point before slipping, and then held on to its Top 20 position until literally the last few voters sealed its fate with a couple of 6s, poor thing. We’re dealing with yet another proper, bonafide classic here, huh? Ask any random passerby on the street to name an old, traditional Disney song and I’d wager a fair few would go for this over When You Wish Upon A Star. What’s that? Your parents told you not to talk to strangers? Nonsense. Aurora is living proof that creepy men who follow you into a forest for an impromptu slow-dance might actually be your one true love. We could all learn something from that. Sketchy subtext aside, this song is super lovely in a dreamy, romantic sorta way; it was based on The Garland Waltz segment of Tchaikovsky’s The Sleeping Beauty ballet, if anyone’s up on their classical music know-how. Having the song as a waltz definitely helps it stand out among the crowd, but let’s not skirt around the real highlight here any longer. That voice. Mary Costa’s up in here showing Snow White, Cinderella and the other lesser girls how it is done – there’s no painful screeching, no obnoxious whistling, just a really, truly gorgeous singing voice and the perfect melody to show it off with. It’s iconic for a damn good reason, y’know? Truly one of the timeless Disney Classics.

Tell ‘em GimmeWork! “I love everything about Sleeping Beauty and even though this is the only song I feel like it's pretty iconic.” The Burning of the Spinning Wheels is shook. Aurora made her mark on iheartpoptarts too: “My fave classic Disney Princess moment, I think.”, but it wasn’t so instant for LKane: “Classic! I think I used to dislike this song when I was a kid… haha but of course things change. When I listened to the Legacy Collection Soundtrack of this movie, I really liked the album version by Mary Costa. It made me appreciate the real beauty of this song.” Okay I had no idea that existed but she is going for it with these vocals. Get it, Mary! Enter constantino with his signature brand of extraness: “Miss Aurora serving us VOCALS. Her waist is CINCHED. Her hair is FLOWING. Obsessed. This would be a 10 if it were a tad longer.” Grindr bio teas. send photo isn’t impressed by what Prince Phillip has to offer though: “I can’t believe she fell for that. What a fuckboy.” nn yas just my type, twirl me through the trees dad. I hate myself. Thankfully alanmr has better taste/sense: “I don’t care if you’re a prince, dude, that was creepy. Also Coma: The Movie.” GhettoPrincess sees ol’ Phil’s advances in a different light: “This is so romantic and beautiful. Why can’t love be a Disney song?” Raichu’s had enough of silly little love songs, but makes an exception for this gem: “At first I thought, “Oh, this style again.” But you can’t argue with that melody. I probably won’t listen to this much, but it’s just top shelf songcraft.” True that.

“Thank God this film was made so long ago,” sighs HollyDunnSomething, “you just know Maleficent would have been given a really shit song to sing if this had been made during the 90's.” Maleficent? Shit? Well, it could only go unmentioned for so long. Lost Boy? “The Lana version of this is absolutely phenomenal.” kalonite? “I just like it. It's nice. Lana's was great.” Sprockrooster? “Queen Lana did it so much justice, but it could not have been that good if this song was brilliant itself. Loving the duet-style in the film.” Sure, fine, Lana’s cover was pretty fantastic, but it cannot and does not justify the existence of that godawful film. Bye. Anyway, back to things worth talking about. Reboot recognises beauty when she sees it: “Cute song. The animation is bloody gorgeous here. And that background! So pretty.” For real though, the dance scene along the river is still one of Disney’s greatest visual moments. They did that. Selena Gomez Fan DJHazey has the nerve, the audacity to come for the older princesses’ pitching issues: “Probably an unpopular opinion, but many of the early princesses did a little too much with those high vocals, but this time it's bearable.” Well, I hope the last 120 pages have validated that opinion for you! Mina proves that talent always wins: “Extra points for a Disney princess whose singing voice is a full-bodied soprano.”, and ‘twould seem we have talent in our midst with eccentricsimply: “This was the first Disney song I learned how to sing, so it's a special one to me.” We shall await your demo tape. Finally, here’s MollieSwift21 to bid farewell to Once Upon A Dream, Sleeping Beauty, and hence, The Golden Age: “Mary Costa's vocals are my favorite of any of the Princesses. I love her voice at the start of I Wonder too. The animation in the scene is beautiful too. The lyrics are wonderful too. It's so different but Lana Del Rey's version is the only good thing to come out of Maleficent movie. A runner up for my 11 too.”

Now go back to sleep, Aurora sis. You've earned it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

19. Why are you like this?

ohnostalgia, kalonite and Animalia like this.