The End of the F***ing World - Netflix | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End of the F***ing World - Netflix

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Vasilios, Dec 28, 2017.

1. The End of the F***ing World
    2017 16+
    A budding teen psychopath and a rebel hungry for adventure embark on a star-crossed road trip in this darkly comic series based on a graphic novel.

Seems cool?
    Coming Jan 5
  2. To paraphrase a friend of mine, are they interesting or are they just white?
    ThighHighs, lushLuck and strangekin like this.
  3. A netflix original? It was on Channel 4 in the UK earlier this year...
    andru and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  4. Shhh
    LP likes this.
  5. Poor Black Mirror kid getting typecast tho
  6. I watched it on Channel 4, it was good, but I think it could have benefited from being an episode or 2 shorter. It becomes a bit middling towards the end, like they couldn't stretch the story out to 8 episodes, but had an order to fill. The first few episodes were excellent though.
    LP likes this.
  7. 2 episodes in and loving it.

I hope it will end up being poignant though and not problematic.

Edit: Episode 3 definitely left me feeling some kind of way. It felt
    like a bit much to absolve James of his "tendencies".
    I really hope this show ends on a poignant note.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  8. Fuck this was AMAZING.
  9. This show is so good FUCK

The growth of the two characters was amazing. The police sub - romance was sublime. The bursts of humour are hilarious. And the plot is just utterly gripping. How did I go from finding the leading pair a bit annoying in Ep 1 to being like PLS GET ON THAT BOAT AND BE FREE! by the end?

Also RE: the ending.

Wtf! Will there be a second series? Is he really dead? I kinda wish it did end with them sailing off into the sunset just so I knew I could have another series of these two mesmerising characters!
    LP and Vasilios like this.
  10. All this yes. LOVED the police hunties, they appeared for minutes but definitely stole some eps.
  11. Can anyone tell me if this has any violence towards animals on screen? I read the premise of the show but wondered if any violence towards animals is actually shown. I wanted to watch it with someone but they’d not want to watch those kinds of scenes. If there are I might watch it alone. Thanks!
  12. Not really. There are only two things I can think of that might be objectionable. Not really spoilers in any meaningful sense, but just in case:

- Very early on the boy is talking about his psychological issues growing up and says how he used to kill animals when he was younger, and you see a row of dead animals lined up but you don't actually see him killing them. I think. If it was shown then it was so quick and unremarkable I've already forgotten about it.

- The girl has to throw a rock on a dog's head at some point in order to kill it, since it has been run over (accidentally) in the parking lot and is dying. This could potentially be upsetting but it is not done out of any genuine malice.

It probably depends how sensitive your friend is but we're talking about 15 seconds out of nearly three hours here, and I think you'd have to be exceptionally sensitive to find it an issue.
  13. I watched ep1 last night and I didn't like it... but there's only 7 more short episodes so I may try to make it through the rest
  14. Don't know why I've been taking my time watching this, but on Episode 6 after starting it weeks ago & loving every minute of it.
  15. LP

The second scene you describe had me feeling very uncomfortable. I guess that's what art does to you though right ?
  16. It's really worth watching the rest since the first two episodes (and the series synopsis) make out it's one thing, and then it becomes something else completely. I was literally about to switch it off and then that happened on the bed and I was like 'what the hell are they going to do now?'. It's great.
    lushLuck likes this.
  17. The bedroom twist really sold me as well. I wasn't but sure how this would be an entire series until that moment.
  18. Scream.

Looks like Submarine: The TV Show a bit. Might check it out though.
    ThighHighs likes this.
  19. It reminds a lot of the movie Lobster in terms of the dialogue and general vibe.
  20. It made a bit uncomfortable too. Whatever the intent of the characters, it's not a pleasant thing to watch.

Regarding the whole show, I liked it a lot. What I found interesting was how it really could have been set anywhere. Despite being a British show set in the UK, it didn't feel or look particularly British bar the accents. Despite the odd references to mobile phones it also felt very timeless. It could pretty much have been set in any Western country in the past 30 years and it would have made no difference.
    scottdisick94 likes this.