The Greatest Eurovision Songs That Never Were | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Greatest Eurovision Songs That Never Were

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Charley, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I was sad this didn't make it a few years back but then again the live staging was a bit of a choice so...

Kadebostany likes this.
  2. For me it has to be Kate Ryan 'Je T'adore', how she never got through to the final I don't know.

3. This song should have represented Ireland in 2009, It's gorgeous and much better than the dirge Et Cetera that won Eurosong that year.

P Grandson likes this.
  4. Still forever pressed both Karin Park and Jenny Langlo lost out to Mørland & Debrah Scarlett's nonsense at Norway's 2015 Melodi Grand Prix

And that this mess went on to the gold final, doing better than both those songs:

5. HRH

HRH

Best girl band in living memory:

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  6. I think the staging let both of these down a little. What the hell was Karin wearing? Dominatrix outfit toppled with a white bed sheet? The song called for something much more classier than that, I think. It was too distracting. All I saw on Twitter during her performance was a lot of "oh this reminds me I need to change my bed sheets", not how beautiful the song is. The epileptic-inducing lights were too much too, I think.

Jenny's styling was a choice as well, and the staging and lights didn't really lift that massive chorus higher, it just made it appear empty, almost. I think there were too many electropop-y songs that year for both of them to really stand out, which put Mørland & Scarlett in a better position. But Norway ended up finishing 8th in the grand final, so it could have been a lot worse.

NecessaryVoodoo likes this.
  7. How I wish that Loreen Da Queen did MF 2011 with Euphoria and then win ESC 2012 with this one

Sure, Filipa Azevedo ended up doing ok, but this would have done even better for Portugal in 2010

Txetxu likes this.
  8. 2015 was the year of missed opportunities, both the below were FAR super than the songs that ended up in Vienna. Proof? Both failed to qualify *insert evil laugh here*

Finland

Ireland

9. The Finnish 2006 National Finals had such great tunes that you could be forgiven for thinking that choosing Lordi was a reckless gamble.

10. Though I'm glad cos it all worked out for the best, surely this has to be mentioned:

KamikazeHeart and Squashua like this.
  11. I'm still bitter this didn't even make the Swedish finale:

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  12. This is glorious.

13. Lost gem from Finland (2012).

14. So with the 2017 contest drawing near, do y'all have any songs from this year's national selections that you feel you'll be bopping to long after they announce that we're off to Tallinn in 2018?

For me a couple that stand out both made the finals of the Lithuanian competition:

Greta Zazza's Like I Love You

and Aistė Pilvelytė's I'm Like A Wolf

Amazing.

[​IMG]

Now if only the studio version of Aistė's could make its way to iTunes.

constantino and WowWowWowWow like this.
  15. I've been enjoying one of the songs VANQUISHED by VERONA

Also love this Polish also-ran penned by Kempe

And every once in a while I like to listen to a song with male vocals just for that hit of testosterone, so here's a Danish finalist

Finally you know I live for basic bops so this song that lost to YODEL IT is my Romanian winner

(And I opted for studio versions because the live clips make it perfectly clear why they didn't win......)

Txetxu likes this.
  16. Albania be like "Why send bops like that when we can sed yet another screaming diva?"

17. Not only should this have qualified, it should've won the 2011 contest:

18. This came on during a run this morning and I think I could have tackled the Marathon on the chorus alone:

If only another country had snatched up this alongside Verona's win (I mean Russia needed someone...) and then we'd be one song better off this year.

19. Kerli was robbed.

Kadebostany likes this.
  20. A1 were robbed with Don't Wanna Lose You Again for Norway.