The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: Otenkiame's blessing and TOP31 | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: Otenkiame's blessing and TOP31

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. When you're in the title..... cheers to the fame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

evilsin likes this.
  2. I wouldn't really call it fame...
    [​IMG]

GhettoPrincess likes this.
  3. It pays the bills.

[​IMG]

evilsin likes this.
  4. [​IMG]
    38 So Into You
    Average: 7,25

Highest score: 10x1 (@RUNAWAY)
    Lowest score: 5x1 (@Ceir)
    My score: 7,5

This round affection loses another single. So Into You was produced by Yasuhiro Abe (misono's Hot Time, kii!) and written by Kumi. The track, as you might guess from the title, is about being very much in love with someone and wanting to go anywhere with that person. Another slice of pop/R'n'B of the yearly 2000s variety, the song has quite the hook in the chorus' first line that grips me every single time, although I still don't find it any better then her other songs from this era.

Our affection-commentary-submitter @Remorque (7) has some valid critisism, "Quite serviceable. About the video though... Her producers needed to learn what a good radio edit is and the girl haself needs to learn to lip-synch for ha motherfucking life. /kthxbai" As far as I know "radio edits" aren't really a thing in Japan. Funnily enough when I watched my first Kumi music video I thought she couldn't lip-sync as well. Although it wasn't as jarring after I watched it more. @Weslicious (7) is as brief as he is brusque, "The worst of this albums singles, but not terrible." Maybe it is, maybe it's not. At the same time @Sprockrooster (8) is grooving, "Ooh very RnB-lushy and smooth." Let's leave the top-scorer (again!) @RUNAWAY for the curtain call and a bit of juicy statistique, "Love this absolute jam of a song. Hate that this one flopped even harder than most of her other songs. Yeah it charted higher than TAKE BACK, but it only sold 5,000 copies TOTAL. It deserved better." People are stupid, Leslie.

Here's an early live from 2003!

5. Next up we are having yet another 3 track tie! Let's see if I'll be able to tackle them all at once tomorrow.

6. I'm so sad I found out about this too late! I totally wanted to participate ;;
    Oh well, I'll wait for the second part while enjoying the rankings~

evilsin likes this.
  7. Are you... is this... is this your blog

aaronhansome and Sprockrooster like this.
  8. Ah, yeah, that is indeed my blog.

send photo and evilsin like this.
  9. KING! We are not worthy!
    [​IMG]

10. Aww...thank you! You're too kind!

aaronhansome and evilsin like this.
  11. Considering the fact that you've joined the forum yesterday, it looks like my constant mentioning of your name summoned you!

aaronhansome and Sprockrooster like this.
  12. So we begin our welcoming party for @otenkiame by eliminating...

Hana is already gone...

This leaves us with another...

[​IMG]
    35 (3 track tie) flower
    Average: 7,32

Highest score: 10x1 (@RUNAWAY... again!)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@Ceir... again!)
    My score: 8

And thus Best ~first things~ loses it's first proper track and a single. Produced by [email protected] Ohtani, who was already mentioned in the write-up for Hearty... and written by Yoshi, this single is an odd one. First of all, it was used as an image song for a novel (like what?) titled Koibana writen by Yoshi, yeah, the same one who wrote the lyrics. Amusingly, the guy is known for pioneering novels specifically for cell phones. Secondly, the song doesn't have a music video, even though it was a single. It was featured in the commercial for Koibana though, but all it had in it were some still images of Kumi. And lastly, it has the first recorded "THIS SONG'S FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuUUuuUUuuuuu" that Kumi just loooves to do in the end of many ballads when she performes them live.

Sound wise, the song is a pop/R'n'B midtempo with some really gorgeous melodies in the chorus. Thanks to @otenkiame's hard work I can say for sure that in the song love is likened to a gentle flower that needs care and nurturing and Kumi expresses her wish for the other person to not forget that and make their flower bloom. For some reason the line in the bridge made me chuckle, I'm sorry:

When a person loses love, they get hurt

That's painful and sad
    (c) @otenkiame

True, true. It's also painful and sad when only one person provides commentary for a track. This time, you guessed it, it's yet again @RUNAWAY, "I've always felt that the Best singles were really unappreciated. this song is a great mid-tempo and I've always loved it." I agree, mainly because I myself tend to forget about these.

Here's a part of the medley that featured flower.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  13. [​IMG]
    35 (3 track tie) Rock Your Body

Highest score: 9x1 (@Eskiath)
    Lowest score: 5x1 (@GhettoPrincess, @Sprockrooster)
    My score: 8

It's been a while, but feel my mind has to say bye-bye to another album cut. Produced by Daisuke "D.I." Imai and written by him and Kumi, Rock Your Body is an infectious guitar driven bop of delirious bumping and grinding up on the dancefloor with a loved one. Even though I love Daisuke to death, I can't deny the fact that he's a bit of a one trick pony with his love for mid-tempos and catchy repeated hooks, although I have to note that what he had with Kumi was probably his prime. Basically he was a lot more eager to experiment at the time and despite the fact that you can recognize his tracks right away, they still all have some distinguishable elements.
    Anyway, time for some comments!

@Monkey0 (8) confesses, "One of my faves from this album, loving sublte Latino vibes and guitars", yes! The guitar surely brings some flair.

That's it. No, really, this is it. Because y'all hate me, y'all hate Kumi, y'all hate music and y'all hate fun! Oh, and y'all are lazy and busy, busy and lazy.

Did I mention I really appreciate y'all took part in this, though? Y'all.

Rent over. Oh, and @send photo (7) reminds us all, "Rock Your Amniotic Fluids". We'll do, hun, we'll do.

The song is rarely performed live, but it did make a surprise appearance on Bon Voyage Hall Tour, although I can't find the link for the life of me.

14. [​IMG]
    35 (3 track tie) magic

Highest score: 9x2 (@send photo, @Remorque)
    Lowest score: 5x1 (@Ceir... not again!)
    My score: 8,5

Guess I jinxed it a bit, because feel my mind is lacking another album tracks now. magic was produced my the immaculate LISA and written by Matsuraba Ken. Huh, the same team responsible for the amazing Pearl Moon. Figures. What we have here is something special - an ethereal, sublime, dare I say with a hint of cabaret feel to it, absolute lush of a ballad. LISA once again proves to be a capable producer and an excellent back vocalist as well. Lyrically, the song is about acknowledging the fact that life has sad days, life has happy days, but in the end life is magic, because it makes you feel and strife for that little something we are all searching for. Let's leave it to @otenkiame for a thorough explanation in the choruses:

I want to trust in myself more than miracles, more than words

I want to doubt, I want to be sad for today's, tomorrow's, and my future smiles
    You don't have to forget, even the painful memories
    A wonderful future greater than that is surely waiting

Even if I can't see it, even if I can't hear it, if I can feel it, I want to believe
    I don't want to lose, I want to shine tomorrow more than yesterday, more than now
    You can be lonely, be in pain, stop in place
    If you can step forward the next step, that step to the future
    (c) @otenkiame

You huns weren't that talkative for this one either. @RUNAWAY (7,5) tried to be real cute, "real cute". I guess. And @Sprockrooster (8) felt a different meaning in the track, "I am tasting and detecting some sassy lyrics here due to the vocal sanging? I think I am. So yes." I mean... it is a bit sassy to leave bullshit behind and just live your life to the fullest.

I remember how she performed it out of the blue at the Billboaed Live, but I can't find that one, so here is one from the time of feel my mind's release:

15. [​IMG]
    Believe it or not, we are having a 4 track tie next!

Which means our Top31 has 34 tracks!

Trust Your Love
    TAKE BACK
    walk

real Emotion
    BOY FRIEND?
    one
    1000 no Kotoba
    m.a.z.e
    To be one
    love across the ocean

Break it down
    Crazy 4 U
    Without Your Love
    Get Out The Way
    Gentle Words
    COME WITH ME

SWITCH

Cutie Honey
    Hot Stuff
    Selfish
    hands
    SHAKE IT
    Trust you
    Chase
    LOVE HOLIC
    Let's party

Heat
    Just Go

NO TRICKS
    Butterfly
    Promise
    Star
    the meaning of peace

Taisetsu na Kimi he​

16. I'm glad Flower did as well as it did! So underrated.

I was so glad when she brought back Rock Your Body for the Bon Voyage tour!

evilsin likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. Yes on both accounts!
    OH MY GOD. This is the best.

In other news today is Kuu's 17th anniversary AND a release day for the latest single "NEVER ENOUGH".

19. omg I can't believe you added me to the thread's title!

I'm glad to see that, for the most part, pretty much none of my favorite songs from this era have been eliminated yet. "SHAKE IT" better be high up there or else.

aaronhansome, send photo and evilsin like this.
  20. It's a thing now. By the way, feel free to go through the thread and give all my posts a like.
    Looks like peopl have taste. Mostly. And about SHAKE IT... y'all will have to wait and see.

aaronhansome and send photo like this.