The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: Otenkiame's blessing and TOP31 | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: Otenkiame's blessing and TOP31

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Yeah, rub some more salt in, love. As for the chance of you getting in the title... is minuscule at the moment.

2. Loveholic is such a great pop tune - always brings a smile to my face when I hear the chorus.

evilsin likes this.
  3. LOVE HOLIC has never been a favorite, but i love how it’s cute without being sweeter than sugar cute (I’m looking at you, “Melting”). It’d probably give it a 7.5 or 8.

evilsin and Eskiath like this.
  4. I agree that Melting is shit, but can we just talk about how much of a bop the Driving Hits version is? (Can't find a youtube link sorry)

evilsin likes this.
  5. YES.
    YES.
    YES.

6. You know what? I'm getting a bit of a break today. See you tomorrow, as the next 2 tracks in this 4 track tie both has multiple 10s. HA!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. So which 2 songs deserved multiple 10s?

Now wouldn't you want to know, huh?

[​IMG]
    31 (4 track tie) m.a.z.e
    Average: 7,39

Highest score: 10x2 (@Weslicious, @Remorque)
    Lowest score: 6x3 (@Ceir, @Sprockrooster, @me! kii)
    My score: this is a six

Ooh, lookie here, grow into one loses it's first single. Surprisingly, this one was produced by Yamaguchi Hiroo, who is more of a ballad guy, and writte by Kato Kenn. The track was used in the dorama Phycho Doctor, if you oughta know. The pop futuristic track that starts with our journey to outer space is about being lost and confused and needing someone to help escape the maze (cue the title). For some reason this one never clicked with me, even though I don't mind it and can still appreciate that it does sound a bit more unique. What probably grates me here is that Kumi goes all the way to the first album in terms of her vocals in the chorus.

Only @RUNAWAY (7) had anything to say about m.a.z.e and he agrees with my sentiment, "this one hasn’t aged well, it was just kind of forgettable now."

Oh my, I found this terrible live of this. She really couldn't hit those notes in the chorus.

I laughed out loud a couple of times. I'm sorry Kueen.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  8. And we complete our 4 track tie with a forgotten classic.

[​IMG]
    31 (4 track tie) Taisetsu na Kimi he
    Average: 7,39

Highest score: 10x2 (@Weslicious, @me!)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@Ceir, expectedly)
    My score: a perfect one

Butterfly single has to say goodbye to it's last b-side. Taisetsu na Kimi he was produced by Miyachi Daisuke, who is known for his extensive work with Tahara Toshihiko (one of the earlier solo Johnny's), and written by Kumi. To most people this might be just another sweet ballad about wanting to give that one precious person everything you have, but to me it spoke. It spoke loud and clear that love is precious and people should treasure it. Be it love for you relatives or your friends, be it love for your favorite artist, be it love for what you do. It doesn't matter, because there is no person in this world who couldn't be helped with love. Or so I want to believe. Probably. Or maybe i'm just tipsy.

I just can't go on without mentioning the first all English chorus though:
    You are the only one, I know, I am sure
    I feel your heart just like my tension all the time, yeah
    Feel me, touch me just like this moonlight, yeah
    I'll be with, going on

Kumi, hun, what?

This segways really nicely into @Weslicious' commentary, "Babelfish ballad amazingness. May we all be with going on" Exactly! That's what I was trying to say with the whole love thing. Probably. @Eskiath (9) confesses, "I had this on my sleep playlist for the longest time so it's firmly imprinted into my brain." Did it put you into sleepy mode when you were relistening to this for the rate? Genuine curiosity. And @RUNAWAY (9) reminds us that he loved Your Sunshine one more time, "another awesome b-side with EMOTION and gorgeous lyrics. same comment as above. it's deserved better than b-side status." It is just really nice, isn't it?

Surprisingly, the song gets quite a lot of live exposure due to fans loving it to death.

9. This is getting ridiculous, tomorrow we are having another tie!

send photo, Ceir and Sprockrooster like this.
  10. Queen of ties.

RUNAWAY, Weslicious, Ceir and 2 others like this.
  11. Me, trying to fathom why m.a.z.e. is out whilst certain tracks remain

[​IMG]

12. I thought "m.a.z.e." had already been eliminated. Hahaha... I've always liked it for what it is, but not at all surprised to see it go.
    I...never actually gave "Taisetsu na Kimi e" a chance before. I think that wacky English chorus really turned me off the first time I listened to it. I'll have to check it out again after hearing that live.

evilsin likes this.
  13. She sure is.

[​IMG]
    29 (2 track tie) Break it down
    Average: 7,43

Highest score: 10x1 (@Eskiath)
    Lowest score: 5x1 (@BoomBoX)
    My score: 8

And thus we lose our first album opener. Produced by Daisuke "D.I." Imai and written by him and Kumi this one is a slick R'n'B jam with hypnotizing hook, feisty delivery and great ad-libs. My take on the lyrics is that Kumi is ready for the next step in the relationship, but she need to break it down to the guy what it would entail exactly.

I'm sure you know
    The whereabouts of true love
    Baby, stop your tricks
    Of acting like you're hesitating

I just wanna break it down
    If our wandering hearts become one
    There'll be an end to the endless lies
    If it's a dream, I want you to wake me up right away

Wow wow, yeah yeah
    (c) @otenkiame

Sadly I don't have much else to say about it, although I do enjoy it a lot. Your commentary wasn't that engaging as well. A rare word from @Monkey0 (9) explains the track's purpose, "It's opening for her first album with sexier image, shedding her teen idol skin and going bravely into ero-kakkoi image." That it is. @RUNAWAY (8) decides to throw some shade on Kuu's 2 previous albums, "a great start to Kuu's first great album. I really love this album and its entire vibe." And finally @send photo (6) starts to run out of ideas, "Break it down (amniotic fluids)".

Kumi performed this a couple of times like at the Black Cherry Tour and Billboard Live, but I can' find any links.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  14. I mean.....was I wrong though? Feel my mind was her first album that was totally solid.

15. [​IMG]
    29 (2 track tie) Let's Party
    Average: 7,43

Highest score: 10x2 (@RUNAWAY, @me!)
    Lowest score: 5x1 (@Sprockrooster)
    My score: lookie-lookie above

A true hidden gem, a true ode to having fun, dancing until you lose your breath and singing until your feelings clear up leaves us. Took this right out the song, which was written by Hinaco (who?) and produced by Takada Junpei of B.WORKS who we already mentioned in Your Sunshine's post. Seriously, this song doesn't get enough credit. To me, this little whimsical number is such a pure concuction of good time that after listening to it I always want to get together with my girlfriends, have a glass of wine or two and just party all night long. Such a massive mood enhancer this one, I'm telling you. And apparently @Sprockrooster is not often invited to such gatherings, because he's a party pooper!

Let's party

When the sun begins to set,
    I'll keep dancing until I lose my breath...
    Yeah, sitting around the table and making an uproar
    I have friends I let into my heart

Let's do it
    Even if I'm mortified, and lost,
    I keep singing until my feelings clear up...
    Yeah, I'm not alone, even when I'm sad
    I have friends who watch over me

(c) @otenkiame

Looks this one failed to get you out of your sits. Thank god, I (almost) always have @RUNAWAY, who is probably gonna be invited to my soiree, "the album effectively ends here for me. It's a true BANGER and I love for this one." He loves for this one, guys!

The track was perfromed live at least one during Secret Tour, but alas, no links for us.

16. Not when grow into one exists.

17. Oh and tomorrow we will have to say buh-bye to another 11. Whose it's gonne be? Any wild guesses?

aaronhansome, send photo and Ceir like this.
  18. Well it ain't me, that is for SURE.

Not me turning 30 yesterday and being presented with the facts of life so swiftly.

evilsin and Ceir like this.
  19. [​IMG]
    I'm a fucking prophet. HAPPY B'DAY, hun!
    [​IMG]

20. IT'S MINE!
    HA!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    28 one
    Average: 7,46

Highest score: 10x1 (@GhettoPrincess, you came the fuck through for a sister!)
    Lowest score: 5x1 (@send photo, how the fuck could you‽)
    My score: 11!

Look. I totally knew this wouldn't be winning all of the laurels, but it still did so good! I'm so proud of my little b-side turned album track. I would've been even prouder were it able to pass the 8 point average, oh well... At least it wasn't the first 11 to go, hehe.

Produced by LISA (WHATAWOMAN!) and written by her together with Kumi,
    one is a sublime immaculately crafted R'n'B/Electropop tinged number full of sass, attitude, harmonies, ad-libs and WOKULS. I actually can't believe that this and m.a.z.e were released at the same time considering how raw she sounded on m.a.z.e and how soft and sophisticated she was here. I've been singing praise to LISA the whole rate, because she is a seriously talented human being who is criminally underrated. After she left m-flo, whe was producing all her music herself, thus her ventures into producing for others and I couldn't be happier that she worked with Kumi. The sharp, precise, urgent instrumental is perfectly poignant in overlaping with the track's meaning of wanting to become one with one's lover. The lyrics are very LISA if I say so myself. And you know, I'll just post full lyrics, because I can and becase I'm losing my 11:
    If we could become one

I don't believe in things like fate
    I want to take back every piece of your heart
    Without the scars of love of you holding me tight being healed
    I've lost you. I don't know why.

Is it all right if I shed tears now?
    Cuz I'm pretending to be strong, but I can't hold it back

Close your eyes softly, and show me everything
    You don't have to waver, cause I'll lead you, my babe
    I want you to be by my side - let's steal time together
    You can entrust yourself to me, just believe in our destiny

I'm willful and selfish, I'm hiding my real weakness, baby
    But the feelings I feel are for eternity, yeah, they'll never disappear
    Until my voice sounds in you, until my love fills you up,
    Walk my way
    The day I can become one with you isn't far off...

I don't believe in things like fate
    I won't to tie your and my thread together
    Remember the moment you took
    My hands tightly, the memory of that day

I wandered about the town, searching
    You saved me from my soul
    And you found me

If you and I could melt into one,
    We could go right now to our vivid future
    Let's walk, little by little, towards the direction the light comes from
    We can't stop anymore, since there's no ending

Papi it's like dis
    You twist my head
    Like la di da di tariaria, so be careful
    Somehow my head's fuzzy, and has escaped to the sky
    I want you, I want to hug you so much that I'm breaking
    It don't take much to please me, so tease me
    If 1, 2, 3's the numbers, then you top the numero one...
    There's no simple level for my love

Close your eyes, close your eyes softly
    And show me everything
    You don't have to waver, cause I'll lead you, my babe
    From now on you're here, let's dream limitlessly
    Along with fate so believe in our destiny

If you and I could melt into one,
    Until the sound of my heart reaches that deep place someday
    I'm gonna reach some day
    Let's walk, little by little, towards the direction the light comes from
    Even if my voice grows hoarse,
    I'll keep singing my love for eternity

Until my voice sounds in you, until my love fills you up,
    Walk my way

If we could become one

(c) @otenkiame

[​IMG]

Expectedly, y'all didn't have much to say about this. @RUNAWAY (7) is mistaken, "I feel like this song tries to be a bop, but it just kind of fails." You feel wrong, because it doesn't fail at anything and it's a complete and utter BAWP! I knew that @GhettoPrincess would support me in time of need, "YES! This is super catchy and the production really lifts it." YEEEES! Love that you love it.

one was always a mythincal rhapsody covered in mist to me, when it came to live performances. I discovered that Kumi did sing it live once long ago at some music festival, I even seen the footage! Alas, it's impossible for me to find it right now. Then it was such a hoot that Kumi performed it at one of her fan club lives (Let's Part, vol. 2 to be precise) solo. And what a fucking scream I let out when I learned that Kumi would be performing one together with LISA at her own personal anniverasy a-nation date!

Now let me wallow in my depression, because they are so beautiful and I don't deserve the existence of this song.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 9:33 AM