The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: We going deeper | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: We going deeper

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Fun fact the next 2 tracks were in tie all throughout the voting.
    Like... how?

[​IMG]
    64 Saigo no Ame
    Average: 6,29

Highest score: 8x1 (@ThisIsRogue)
    Lowest score: 5x2 (@Sprockrooster, @Remorque)
    My score: 7,5

This round a b-side to Gentle Words and a cover leaves us. Originally performed by Nakanishi Yasushi this one another tale of heartbreak. The song tells a story of never-ending feelings that can't be put into words or expressed yet can be repressed, because that person is no longer in the singer's life. Some lyrics do stand out to me:
    I can't put my love into words
    I can't connect to you with words
    My love has no place, but won't stop
    I threw away my umbrella, and looked up at the rain

I'd rather not love you enough to cry
    Than to really forget
    I'd rather hold you tight and break you
    Than have you stolen by someone
    (c) Otenkiame

I really like the arrangement for Kumi's version, especially the bridge, although overall I find her sounding a bit whiny all throughout.

Saigo no Ame got a very lukewarm reception from you guys with mostly 6s and not a single comment and I can see why actually. @send photo brands it "Saigo no Amniotic fluids".
    The lack of commentary made me feel like
    [​IMG]

I can't even with this anime fan vid...

ThisIsRogue, Alouder98 and RUNAWAY like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    64 Ranhansha
    Average: 6,29

Highest score: 9x1 (@me, you heathens!)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@Sprockrooster)
    My score: 9, a fucking 9!!!

Kumi's second album, grow into one, loses another track and it an album exclusive bop this time! Produced yet once again by Watanabe Miki and written by Matsuraba Ken the track offers an R'n'B infused melodies, while Kumi gently coos about yet another unlucky love of hers. The guy got her in his grips, but he doesn't love her. At the same time Kumi can't deny that he has an effect on her, but wonders why he doesn't have feelings for her. And once again a track that has never been performed live.

I was honestly taken aback when your were so indifferent to this little bop, considering I always regarded as a highlight of grow into one.

The only comment we have is from out lowest scorer @Sprockrooster, "Giving me a bit of Itsy Bitsy Spider teas, but very faintly. And I hate spiders." I'll make sure to send you one sometime in the nearest future. And I'll make sure it's pregnant.

3. Oooh expected Ranhansha to do better than this!

evilsin likes this.
  4. Omg. This level of savage.

evilsin likes this.
  5. Same.
    Only the best for you, love.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  6. [​IMG]
    63 Through the sky
    Average: 6,32

Highest score: 9x2 (@send photo, @Sprockrooster)
    Lowest score: 2x1 (@Eskiath)
    My score: 8

Here we go, another b-side that became an album track. Originally released on the single hands, Through the sky was written by Kumi and produced by Yamagushi Hiroo (Yume no Uta, Rain, Talk To You). The track is a soaring ballad about eternal love and I absolutely love how grand it sounds. That Hiroo guy surely managed to reflect the title in the vast sound of the song. Also known for being performed only once on PREMIUM LIMITED LIVE IN HALL IN YOKOHAMA ARENA concert.

@Sprockrooster enjoys another cup of honey-mint tea, "Very disney-esque and cinematic so a great discovery.", while @RUNAWAY (5) is annoyed, "NO. it should have stayed a b-side." We finish with @send photo, who re-labeled the poor song "Through the amniotic fluids".

Sorry, for only 1 elimination today, I've got a cold and some minor technical annoyances...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 5:38 PM
  7. Next we have two 2-track ties.

[​IMG]
    61 Believe (the one from secret)
    Average: 6,39

Highest score: 9x2 (@send photo, @ThisIsRogue)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@Ceir)

Today we start with a bit of hidden gem. The secret track is written by Kumi and produced by KAIDO (Your Song, Sweet love...), the simple piano-led ballad tells yet another story of separation. Kumi yearns for her lost lover and she still believes that there are meant to be. Some lyrical highlight for me:
    A love where you can’t get hurt isn’t a true love
    I’m not afraid of getting hurt with you
    (c) kiwi musume

Apart from "listoo my heart" I thoroughly enjoy Kuu's performance here, especially when she gets very raw by the last chorus. I also clearly remember how it was praised by the fans at the time when I started listening to Kumi which was freaking 12 years ago!

@RUNAWAY (5) wasn't holding shit back... oh at all! "really? ending the party album with not one but 2 shitty ballads?" You do you, hun, you do you. At the some time a fellow 5-score-giver @Sprockrooster wasn't having almost none of it as well, "I have been moved and connected with a ballad in a foreign language better. I feel so untouched by this."

Apparently the overeal consensus was in the vein of
    "There is no video, because you don't deserve a video"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 9:50 PM
  8. None of my big ones has gone, but I feel like a lot of my 9s have gone already.

evilsin likes this.
  9. [​IMG]
    61 Yume With You
    Average: 6,39

Highest score: 9x1 (@me!)
    Lowest score: 5x3 (@GhettoPrincess, @Ceir, @Eskiath)
    My score: look above

Ah, yes, with this elimination only one cover remains in the rate. Yume With You was originally performed and written by Kubota Toshinobu who is known as the King of J-Soul (the guy is no joke). Even though his most popular hits are LA LA LA LOVE SONG and Missing, Kumi opted for a bit of a sleeper hit, probably because she liked it. The song itself is about dreaming about a person all the time with a bit of a boner-induced anguish. The original is definitely a classic, but Kumi's version did bring a tad of oomph to it. My 9 though is totally goes to the fantastic remix by pretty amazing Yamaki Ryuichiro, which just envelops me with it's R'n'B beats and flavor, hence rendering the track that much sexier. I might find the original version a bit limp, still the gorgeous melody of the chorus is undeniable.

Only one person submitted commentary for the poor thing. @Sprockrooster was initially utterly flabberghasted while giving this a 10, "OH MY FUCKING GOD. I wasnot ready. I simply wasnot ready. This classically styled powerballad is right of my street. Girl is serving and that production is faultless. Heavy prominent guitar is a big plus. Watching the video and my heart just stopped with that car crash. So over the top. So overly dramatic. But so damn good. OH MY GOD. I love this so much. I have to stop re-watching this cause I have to continue rating." ................and then I had to bring the guy back to earth by explaining that he mistook Yume With You for Yume no Uta... In the end @Sprockrooster (6) was not that amused, "Well this is no 'Yume No Uta', now is it. A bit out there." Basically my reaction was something like this:

[​IMG]

Here's a video for the live performance of the original:

Unfortunately there are no links for the fabulous remix.

10. You did lose four 9s, I believe.

11. Let me state clearly that it wasnot spotify and while searching on YouTube I only found a link with Asian sign language which I also put through google translate and looked similar to the song we were supposed to rate. But yes, I think my 11 is exposed for the rate that one is exposed. Cause it is the only song I am still listening to and it wasnot even part of this rate.

Eskiath and evilsin like this.
  12. Oops.
    It's a great contender for an 11. Although I already have something a bit mischievous prepared for it's elimination, oh my. Hope you'll find some more worthy songs in the Part II if you participate.

13. I am sure there are more gems in her discography. But it already is a bar set high. But if she is going to top this one, consider me a fan.

evilsin likes this.
  14. YAS. Let her top you.

15. She's tipsy.

Okay we have another tie, just like I promised!

[​IMG]
    59 Sweet love...
    Average: 6,46

Highest score: 8x1 (@RUNAWAY)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@Sprockrooster)

feel my mind loses it's first album track. Produced by aforementioned KAIDO the song is a little old school feel R'n'B number that seemingly speaks of the sweetest love we ever heard off specifically mentioning caramel lattes and vanilla ice cream. Although I believe there is something a lot more raunchy on the inside if you read some of the lyrics:

Your fingers reach out, and with your smooth skin
    You leave a secret on my body
    Everything I feel drowns
    In your honey

The sweet vanilla icecream we bought together just now
    Melts in a leisurely way in my throat
    In our private space
    It feels just like a goddess has awoken…
    (c) kimi musume

What... is this actually about? I see you, girl. I mean I like how this sound a bit retro soundwise, and Kumi does sound happy singing it.

@send photo (7) had to go there and say it, "Sweet amniotic fluids...", while @Sprockrooster is probably describing the taste of that concoction @send photo speaks of, "This is very bittersour".

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    Weslicious and ThisIsRogue like this.
  16. She's even tipsier.

[​IMG]
    59 BELIEVE / DJ YUKATA feat. Koda Kumi
    Average: 6,46

Highest score: 9x2 (@Sprockrooster, @ThisIsRogue)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@Ceir)
    My score: 7

And the other 'believe' song leaves us, the extra one this time. So naturally I believed (hehe) that this one is produced by this DJ YUKATA, still the official credits for the song say that it was actually someone named Ikoman (?) and Kuu herself (???). Weird. As far as we know though, Kuu's first dabble into producing was only on her 5 studio album on a track Milk Tea. What's even weirder is that I don't know anything about that DJ YUKATA guy, only that somehow this song was on his 4th (!!!) album. Another funny thing that stems from all this is that in spite of being a huge Kumi fan back in the day (and still being a bit of a stan, thank you) I've actually listened to this song for the first time not that long ago. All because I believed (hehe) that it was the same track as the Believe from secret only remixed by some DJ, so I didn't even bother downloding this one... This paragraph was brought to you by the parentheses (also know as round brackets).

The track itself is a one note early 2000s R'n'B slice of pop about believing (hehe) a person. Shocking.

Looks like the highest scorer @Sprockrooster was hoping for exactly that, "Very millenium transition-style R&B and yes for that!" while @RUNAWAY (6,5) was disappointed, "this was not worth tracking down." Oh yeah, people did have problem finding this one.

No links, because of the thing I just said.

Weslicious, RUNAWAY, Ceir and 2 others like this.
  17. In case y'all didn't realize: I gave like 75% of the songs a 4.

18. More like 25%...