The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: We going deeper | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: We going deeper

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    73 Your Song
    Average: 5,5

Highest score: 9x1 (@Sprockrooster )
    Lowest score: 3x2 (@GhettoPrincess, @lalaclairi_)
    My score: 7

Originally Your Song was a b-side for Kumi's debut single TAKE BACK that got promoted to an album track probably due to the fact that avex wanted to include another ballad on affection, but they didn't have time to record. Lyrically the song is, as you can guess, about a boy and how Kumi loves him and wants to be with him forever. I personally always had a soft spot for it, the melodies are gorgeous and there is something very endearing in Kuu's vocals here even though they are so raw and a bit rough, hence I understand why you guys didn't like it very much.

One of our lowest scorers @GhettoPrincess fins the song "Very dull." and @RUNAWAY (5) tries his best to like this one, "......the dripping water sound is the best part of this song. And this is coming from me, queen of ballad worship. I honestly don't like this one." On the other hand my fellow Kumi-icon-wearer @Weslicious muster up enough strength to give this a 6, "Cute, I guess", he says. I'm forever apologizing to @Remorque (5,5), because I didn't tag him, but he still voted last minute and managed to comment a bit, although he was somewhat apprehensive about Your Song, "God, they were really pushing her into a sort of On the 6 -direction, weren't they? Well, just as some of the slow songs on that one, this drags on just a smidge."

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Uhm. What kind of tragic start is this.

evilsin likes this.
  3. Ended up missing this one (@evilsin didn't even tag me, the binch), but I'll definitely vote on part 2. Is it coming right after part 1 is finished?

evilsin likes this.
  4. So happy to see It's A Small World out first!

Theme if Sister Jill on the other hand is a little harsh. It's nowhere near her best but cute enough.

evilsin likes this.
  5. Sorry, boo, it's just how it is... Reminds me how all my 9s got out first in the Solange rate.
    I... didn't think you wanted to take part? I don't know why, I got that impression. The Part II will a be a bit later, I guess, I'm getting in the queue right after I finish with Part I.
    Out of all her songs in part one it had to be the first, right?

soratami and Sprockrooster like this.
  6. [​IMG]
    72 Every-After-Party / RATHER UNIQUE feat. Koda Kumi
    Average: 5,93

Highest score: 7x4 (@send photo who called this one Every-Amniotic-Party..., @Ceir, @BoomBoX, @ThisIsRogue and @me!)
    Lowest score: 3x1 (@GhettoPrincess)
    My score: look a little above

Next up an extra track and our first collaboration. RATHER UNIQUE was a 5 member male group that existed for mere 2 years from 2004 to 2006. Most memebers were eventually absorbed by EXILE, one of the best selling boybands in Japan and in the world at the moment. The song in question was recorded for an omnibus (various artists) album titled 99% Radio Show that was designed to showcase the state of rhythm zone's (avex's subsidiary that houses Kumi) artists at the time. Kumi's TAKE BACK and real Emotion were included as well, while she also provided some intro harmonies for the song Be Mine (99% Radio Allstars). Her part in it was so minuscule, so I decided to exlude it from our list of songs.

Coming back to Every-After-Party, it's a pleasant R'n'B number that doesn't really go anywhere even with 2 rap verses. I believe most of us would want more Kumi on this though.

And @GhettoPrincess certainly agrees with me, "Not enough Koda Kumi for me." @RUNAWAY (6) ruminates about Kumi's future release, "okay I can see why this wasn't included in Out Works & Collaboration Best....cause it isn't her best." Ouch. @Sprockrooster (6) wants more from this, "This sounds alright, but takes way too long to finish. A bit of a party pooper."

Unfortunately there are no links for this one, but ya'll heard it already.
    And Be Mine only has a karaoke cover of low quality by some random guy...

ThisIsRogue, Alouder98, Ceir and 3 others like this.
  7. [​IMG]
    71 come back
    Average: 6,00

Highest score: 10x1 (@Sprockrooster)
    Lowest score: 2x1 (@lalaclairi_)

Looks like affection can't really catch a break losing another album track. Produced by Watanabe Miki (one of the frequent Kumi collaborator, e.g. Crazy 4 U and many others) the tracks is vast spacious ballad telling a story of lovers who are for some reason apart, but are still longing for each other. The gentle intro and outro with those haa's always get me and I really appreciate that Kumi performs it from time to time. Perhaps this is why I can look past her adolescent vocals on the album version, considering how beautifully she usually sings it live.

The track was actually recieved quite well by you all, still that 2 did sink it in the end to #71.

@send photo gave it a 6 and renamed the track "come back amniotic fluids"... and @Weslicious (5) asked it to "Go away". Our affection appreciater @Remorque (5,5) gives come back half a point more, "Bit heavy on the drama, neaux?" Perhaps 'dramatic' is Kumi's middle name? We'll never know. The Japanese don't really have middle names. @RUNAWAY likes that Kumi sings her heart out here, "pretty good ballad actually. she actually emotes really nicely in this song."

And 5 songs in someone (and the rate) loses his first 10. It's not a good start of the rate for @Sprockrooster, who even provided a visual representation of how come back made him feel, "I can feel the emotion coming in. A woman scorned and you hear it through the cracks in her voice."

[​IMG]

(I made the artwork using another performance, but this one has the full song.)

Hurrah! We've crossed the 6 point average! Although we'll be here for quite a while.
    Later today we have a 3 track tie that needs some sorting out.

8. Disaster. I know how @evilsin felt during my Solange rate.

evilsin likes this.
  9. [​IMG]
    68 (3 track tie) Your only one
    Average: 6,04

Highest score: 8x2 (@Eskiath, @me)
    My score: look above

grow into one loses it's first track, a gentle R'n'B ballad (looks like it's a theme with you people). The song was produced by Suzuki Daisuke of GIRL NEXT DOOR and day after tomorrow fame and was one of only 4 songs written by Kumi on the album. Speaking of lyrics, there are a bit confusing to me. It looks like Kumi is in love but she is not sure where this whole situation is going, and she is hesitant, because she doubts his faithfulness. The second chorus is actually very sad and Kumi reflects the pain with her voice beautifully:
    I want, baby, to tell it to you straight
    The anxiety that’s always there
    That I can’t see, even when I’m looking right at it
    Keeps making me hesitate, until finally
    All that will be left is regret
    But I want you to listen to this love
    (c) kimi-musume

In the end we have both a bit sombre and a bit sexy track that has sadly never been performed live.

You lot really didn't have anything nice (or much) to say about this one. @RUNAWAY (7) shows the first signs of memory loss, "really kind of drags along, like I kind of already forgot what this one sounds like and I just re-listened for the rate", while @GhettoPrincess has difficulty staying awake, "Zzzz….".

10. [​IMG]
    68 (3 track tie) Rainy Day / KM-MARKIT feat. Koda Kumi

Highest score: 8x3 (@send photo, @RUNAWAY, @ThisIsRogue )

Another elimination, another extra track. This time it's the song from the debut album by KM-MARKIT. It's a bit of a habit for people collaborating twice in the Japanese scene, something along the lines of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours", meaning Kumi held up her end of the bargain after KM-MARKIT appeared on Hot Stuff. A song of break-up, Rainy Day is plreasant enough to give it a listen or two, but unfortunately KM-MARKIT's rapping is very subpar. He's very monotone all throughout the song, which makes it drag. Kumi's part definitely brightens up the atmosphere even if the track is sad itself. No wonder KM-MARKIT's career pretty much ended only after 2 albums...

Looks like @GhettoPrincess is becoming a bit of a rate villain, hehe, "Koda's part is fine but I’m cringing at the rest basically." @Sprockrooster (5) agrees with me about the KM-MARKIT's part, "This needed much more Koda Kumi as that rapping is WAY too monotone.", while @RUNAWAY doesn't, "it's pretty chill and KM is actually tolerable."

11. Oh dear, I need some help before people start throwing things at me.

evilsin likes this.
  12. The last elimination in this tie saves you a bit, don't worry, no bottles will be pushed in any orifices.

Eskiath likes this.
  13. [​IMG]
    68 (3 track tie) It's too late

Highest score: 8x2 (@ThisIsRogue, @me)
    Lowest score: 4x3 (@Ceir, @Sprockrooster, @Weslicious)
    My score: look above

Boy, extra tracks just keep on falling. This round we have a b-side for COLOR OF SOUL. This is the only track, as far I'm aware, in Kumi's discography that was produced by Oda Tetsurou, who is most known for working with Aikawa Nanase and ZARD. As you can gather from the title, the song is about realizing that it's too late. Particularly Kuu sings how she should've held her lover closer and said that she loved him, done anything to show him that she cared before he left. Sonically it's something. Just that weird bridge with some man talking... some Mylene Farmer's California teas (or Beyond My Control, kii!). I do appreciate how vocally Kuu wasn't flying of the hook and was in control all the way through and the prolonged ending is sublime.

Some of you weren't ready to give this a chance. @Sprockrooster is hovering his mouse over the 'skip' button the whole way through, "Okay next", and @Weslicious wants to forget, "An obvious B-side to never be heard of again". @Eskiath (7) is a big Kumi fan, but still made a discovery, "First time I've heard it, it's pretty sweet". And we finish with @RUNAWAY (7) who's trying to trigger a cognitive dissonance in me with the combo of his score and commentary, "so fucking long, and boring. thank god this was only a b-side."

Oh, and @send photo (6) wanted me to let you know that he hereby christens (he's a heathen though) this track "It's too late (my amniotic fluids rotted)".

14. Suddenly things go very well.

evilsin likes this.
  15. Tomorrow we lose two more tracks and arrive at another tie. But who will exit next?

16. Sorry @evilsin, 7 is basically my average score. In hindsight, it really deserved a 5 or 6 but I didn't think it was that subpar. It had a melody at least.

evilsin likes this.
  17. I think overall, Kuu's output for these albums generally deserved between a 6.5 and 7.5.

For me at least, there weren't a lot of highs (or lows for that matter), and not a huge amount of variation.

evilsin and lalaclairi_ like this.
  18. HAPPY 35th BIRTHDAY, QUEEN!

[​IMG]

19. [​IMG]
    67 STILL IN LOVE
    Average: 6,07

Highest score: 8,5x1 (@Remorque)
    Lowest score: 3x1 (@Eskiath)
    My score: 7,5

And another (and the last) affection era b-side leaves us. It was produced by motsu (the rapper from m.o.v.e), written by Kumi and included on Trust Your Love single. Akin to her other R'n'B-tinged songs on affection, STILL IN LOVE follows the same fomula by delivering slick yearly 2000s production and a catchy hook. This time Kumi sings about still being in love with the guys who left her, and she knows that he's not for her anymore and yet she can't help her feelings. Personally I enjoy this quite a lot even if it is pretty faceless.

Our a-bit-harsh-but-i-still-give-it-a-7 critic @RUNAWAY (7) finds it "pretty dated. definitely a b-side. nothing special." At the same time @Weslicious (5) couldn't muster up much, "Meh". @Sprockrooster (5) supports the score and adds, "I can see why this was tossed aside from the main album."

No videos for the poor thing.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    Alouder98 and ThisIsRogue like this.
  20. [​IMG]
    66 Yogiri no Honey
    Average: 6,14

Highest score: 9x1 (@Sprockrooster)
    Lowest score: 3x1 (@lalaclairi_)

LOVE & HONEY single loses another b-side, which is also a first cover to leave the rate. Originally performed by Maekawa Yoko for Cutie Honey manga (how does that even work?), Kumi was chosen to record a newer take for Cutie Honey live action movie. Looks like we have another slice of heartbreak here lyrics wise with Kumi wondering the foggy night in tears hoping he would call her out from afar. Musically the song is a nice little piece of hot summer night and I really like how Kumi sings HANI- HANI- HANI- here. Though the song is not much to write home about, it's still pretty cute.

@send photo gives this an 8 and changes the title to "amniotic fluid yogurt" (ugh) and @RUNAWAY (7,5) decides that "it's cute". Somewhere on the warm summer night in the gazebo sits our high scorer @Sprockrooster, who jubilates with a cup in his hand, "OOOH. I love some honey in my mint tea." Hope not with some "amniotic fluid yogurt" (ugh).